1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New White Flyer targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim101, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just got a truck load of white flyers and they are different somehow. They look like pitch targets, But they don't break like pitch. Gone are the nice black sootballs. All you get is a brownish orange dust ball. They are not bios
    as they smoke white and the boxes are not marked Bio.

Anyone know what the deal is with these targets. Maybe a change in formulation to deal with a pitch shortage???

Thanks

Jim

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask your supplier??

Don

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

From Facebook:

LETTER FROM PHIL MURRAY:

To: White Flyer Distributors
    Gun Club Managers/ Personnel
    Subject: New White Flyer Targets

Hi All:
    Recently you may have noticed receiving orders from White Flyer/ Webb City in which a memo was attached to each pallet stating “Tooling Change was made on these targets and readjustment of the splitter or knife may be necessary”. What basically occurred was that the first step of the target was lowered by about fifteen-thousandths. In talking to gun clubs in the Midwest that have received these ‘newer’ targets, adjustments have been minimal, but the shooters have remarked that these ‘newer’ targets are different in that they ‘smoke’ better than the ‘older’ WF targets! Rumors started that WF mixed bio ingredients into this target and this is why it ‘smokes’ a light, grayish color. Other rumors were that the dimensions, plus weights, have been changed and it is a completely new target. Quite frankly, a lot of misinformation is going on out there and we felt it necessary to contact you and ask you to please pass this memo onto your customers & gun clubs.
    First and foremost, this ‘newer’ target is different in only two areas, the height of the first step and its composition. They still undergo a 27-step process of quality control to measure weights and concentricity- the specs which are weight mandated by the ATA and other organizations have NOT changed. The main difference and the thing that shooters are commenting about is the fact that when centered, instead of the ‘black sootball’, you get a whitish, gray picture of the smoked target. This is where the only change has been made to this target- a different style of pitch is now being used that is lighter in color and therefore causes the target to ‘smoke’ whitish, gray. Outside of this pitch change, no other aspect, other than the very first step, are any different. Extensive testing has been done on these ‘newer’ targets and in our testing, we found that they actually break/ smoke better that their older AA pitch counterpart. There is no question that when smoked, against a dark background, they could be mistaken for our biodegradable target that smokes a whitish color. It will take a bit of getting used to with this lighter smoke, but overall we feel this is a better target.
    At the current time, this ‘newer’ target will only be produced at our Webb City, Missouri, target plant. Hence, many shoots in the Midwestern US will receive these targets over the next few months. We wanted to dispel any of the rumors out there that they were suddenly shooting a totally new WF target because they weren’t.
    Hopefully this clears up the misconceptions about what you will be using and what to expect. Should you and your gun clubs have any questions, please feel free to call me directly at our Houston office @ 713-626-1843.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Thanks Skeet Man.

Jim

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I shot a couple of rounds at Ben Avery twos weeks ago and the targets broke with lighter "smoke" than before. I just thought they were throwing Bios. I DID like the lighter smoke against the mountain background. You could really tell when you centered a target unlike with the older pitch targets and they broke great.

Anyone know if these were the "new formula" targets or the BIO's?

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is the bottom line on targets

Without targets you dont have a sport

Without profits for the company making them you dont have a target

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Save all your Budweizer bottles if you want dark sootballs.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Best get used to 'em. Bio's are the future but will not break if you don't hit 'em. The new Bio targets absolutely disintegrate and no excuse for poor performance!!

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: new Bio targets absolutely disintegrate

I guess I have not run into the NEW ones yet...

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Joe, I left a box out in the rain and yes they do!!!

11. TjayE

TjayE Member

I shot at the Buncombe County Wildlife Club (Fletcher,NC) this past Saturday and the targets left a gray-white cloud of dust when centered. I asked if we were shooting BIO targets, so we looked at the cardboard boxes the targets came in and NO they were not marked Bio. I guess we were shooting the NEW White Flyers target. This is the first I have heard about the new targets. I do know that White Flyers were having a hard time getting the PITCH for their target production. (I heard there was a fire in the plant where the PITCH was produced making the targets SCARCE.)

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Joe, you haven't exactly destroyed many pitch targets either. The breaks I got on BIOS at the local club last night were beautiful. I did miss 2/50 in a brisk wind but you'll have that when you mispoint a target. Over 50 squads and not a single complaint. A few shooters commented how much brighter they were. The best part was the club saved over $1,000/trailer load over pitch targets.

Federal paper light 8's make smoke!!

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: you haven't exactly destroyed many pitch targets either

Thats true and never will be a AA shooter. If it wasn't fun I would take up golf. I was always the kid picked last, but I do know when I smoke them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.