1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New waterfowl ammo~

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tpeterson1, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tpeterson1

Tpeterson1 Member

Have any of you waterfowlers checked out this new load from Hevi shot?Looks damn good on paper and @ 1625fps it does a # on the birds,geese especially,about $10/box cheaper than hevi shot.

"Speed Ball"

Copper clad steel pellets (not plated) and tungsen layer'd pellets.

tpeterson1_2008_030316.jpg

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Looks like flaxseed for buffer?

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

You see what they are doing??? Hevi shot got real exspensive to produce (when all metals prices took off), so they cut it in half added copper coated steel and speeded it up. Please tell us what choke you are using, what distance you patterned and what % was in it, and how large the pattern was, thank you. Scott

4. Scott Johnson

Golden Flax to be correct. Scott

5. Scott Johnson

Is this the Literalist, the legend and the man that Maltz is quoting at times? Scott

6. MR870

MR870 Member

Word of warning:If you try to shoot the 3" loads out of a 3" Rem.870 they will not eject cleanly due to hull length.I never heard back from Heavy Metal about the problem last year duck hunting.I shot one time and had to pull barrel off the get hull out of action.THIS SUCKED BECAUSE I WAS COVERED UP WITH WOODIES AND MALLARDS AND I HAD A SINGLE SHOT GUN TO SHOOT WITH THAT HAD TO BE TAKEN APART AND PUT BACK TOGETHER!

7. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

After all the money I spend on waterfowl hunting the ammo is the cheapest item on the list. Splurge a little and just shoot Hevi-Shot. 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz is all you need since it's better than lead.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You tell 'em Boxbirder...I've been using nothing but 2-3/4", 1-1/4 oz. Hevi-shot and Remington HD since it first hit the market...

That other crap is for the Bunny Busters and Pilgrims.

Curt

9. Scott Johnson

I agree, hevi shot and especially Remington HD is the best I have ever shot. HD in # 2 or BB will drop a goose dead @ 60 yards, it just folds them up. I like it in my Benelli SS with the Full choke. Scott

10. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

look at the crap in that shell, I thought when you pay for shot in your shot shell it should be loaded with shot not garbage just to fill in shot, I don't have any trouble with polyurethane buffer, but seeds and is that a soft marble? I don't care how fast it flies, I don't need to be shooting that stuff out of my duck gun. I agree that 1 1/4 once of shot in a 2 3/4" of any size shot is the best, most of my duck hunting is in Arkansas flooded timber, I like to kill a duck dead in the duck hole.

11. Scott Johnson

Thanks TP,
    Look forward to your findings. Did you shoot much HD? I just love it, have about two years worth on hand, I think it is discontinued. The T shot will kill a coyote 70 to 80 yards. Farthest one was 90 yards. At 40 to 50 yards it just smokes em. Going by a poor memory, with the full choke and HD T shot seems the pattern was 18" @ 35 yards, now that is tight. Scott

12. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

For decoyed ducks all I use is a 1oz load of 6 hevi-shot, since it really is the size of 5 shot in a 20ga. When Hevi-Shot came out it's all I have ever used. I do like to roll my own HS using the Tom Roster data for geese. The Remington HD is another smoker as someone mentioned.

Now let me go get my Hobo call tuned up.

13. Scott Johnson

Anybody kill a duck or goose with the rubber ball yet that they know of? Scott

14. Scott Johnson

Thanks TP, I will read up on it. Thinking back I have shot as much Hevi-shot as HD, whether it was # 2, BB or T in Dead Coyote load. I could not really tell the difference is either. Will you guys be selling Hevi-Shot in # 2's or have you gone to the speed ball 100%? TP sorry about the stupid question on HD I went back and reread your thread, no disrepect intended. Scott

15. Scott Johnson

TP,
    Thanks for the explanation on Duck and Goose Hevi-shot. Out here in Mondamtana, you can hunt geese all day and not see another hunter, shoot your limit, (4 darks) and shoot a few coyotes on the way home. I will try some of that Speed ball, but I like 3" 1 1/2 oz #2 on geese. I was amazing in how the HD and Hevi shot look different than each other, but when you pattern they are the same.
    Scott

16. Scott Johnson

Shot some honkers this weekend, use # 6 Hevi shot 1st shot and # 2 Remington HD and Hevi shot 2nd and 3rd shot, both just fold them up. Haven't been anywhere to buy some Speed ball but will when I can, the # 6 hevi shot can fold a goose a long ways out, I would guess more head and neck shots similar to a turkey. Most of the gees we are shooting we are level with or above them so most time we are shooting down through their backs and side, they are easier to kill from that angle as compared to shooting from below them. Jump shooting on resevoirs and buffs over the river. If you have never done it, it is something else. Scott

17. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

The thin layer of copper on the steel pellets in the Speed Ball shells will not add much density at all to the steel pellets. Some guy on Duck Hunters Chat bulged his barrel with the new Speed Ball loads, it looks like he may have use too big of steel shot in a tight choke.

Check out Sportsmans Warehouse for Hevi-Shot loads, not too long ago they still had the older prices on 3" Hevi-Shot 1-1/2 oz goose loads and 3" Dead Coyote loads.

18. Tpeterson1

Tpeterson1 Member

Really derby? where did you get your information?Sad to say barrels bulge usually from folks shooting chokes not capatable with steel or older fixed choke guns with extremly tight constriction,some just don't know any better.

Here is a side note of speed ball that is posted on hevi shots website.

"1. Speed Ball – an elastomeric ball in the base of the wad that accelerates pellets without boosting chamber pressures (patent pending).

2. MV² pellet that sits in the base of the shell – copper-clad, steel-core pellets that are Heavier Than Steel but with a soft, dense outer copper layer fuzed to the steel, metallurgically. This gives us about 22 times the copper thickness of copper-plated lead or steel; you just can't get this kind of copper thickness without the proprietary technology we're using. The copper raises the density of the pellet. Patent pending. Copper plating puts a copper coating on the pellet that is roughly 1/6 of the thickness of a sheet of paper."

3. HEVI-Shot layer on top. 6 existing patents.

So,to be clear speed ball has copper clad steel pellets not coated.

19. Scott Johnson

Thanks TP Scott

20. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Anyone shoot Federal Black Cloud?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.