1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New vs Used

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Oysterboy, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oysterboy

Oysterboy TS Member

I bought a new Browning Gold about 6 months ago and have had no problems and am entirely pleased with my purchase. However, I am thinking of purchasing an O/U for skeet shooting. I think that my game would benefit from a heavier gun for better swing control, to say nothing of the enhanced safety and "cool factor" of an O/U on the course.
    I anticipate having around $1K to spend on an O/U. I have spent much time pondering this, and my research indicates that for this money range I can buy a new gun (CZ, Verona, etc), or a gently used Beretta or Browning. I do understand that the new gun will require zero work, while the used one might have some issues requiring some gunsmithing up front.
    My view is that the higher quality gun, although used, would be the better value. It would hold up through the many rounds I am likely to run through it and retain value longer. What is y'alls opinion?

Thanks, Kevin

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There is no reason in the world that a good used gun will have any mechanical issues.The only new guns I buy are for collecting and most of them are very old. Fear not the used gun and shop long and hard. Have he gun looked at by someone you trust before you buy. As with a new car, we sometimes fail to see what we do not want to see. Jeff

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Kevin: You are much better off with a used Beretta or Browning than a new Verona or some of the other "cheap" off brands. Not only that if you want to trade "up" or sell the gun, you will have no trouble selling a Beretta or Browning. Ed

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would be much more concerned about how I shoot a specific gun than I would be about the age of the gun.

I would much rather have a rather worn gun that I could shoot than a new model that does not fit me well. I know people who can fix a worn gun.

Pat Ireland

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"You are much better off with a used Beretta or Browning"

I agree.

But finding a good one for $1000 won't be as easy as you might think.

Code

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If you can buy a Citori in good clean shape for a Grand---and you can if you look around---then you will be a lot better off with IT than you would be with a CZ or any other 1000$-or-less O/U.

In my opinion, of course.

7. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I went through this exact scenario, new vs used, about a year ago. Go with a used gun of better quality. I ended up with a used Citori that I found for $725.00. Another $275.00 to have the action rebuilt and the trigger re-plated (Midwest Gunworks). $100.00 for a set of Briley Choke tubes (Sportsman's Warehouse). $1100.00 total investment. Be patient, hit the pawn shops and the gun shows. I got mine so cheap because the shop I bought it from thought that a recoil reducer reduced the value. I really like the work that Midwest did too. 14 day turn around. Depending on what you buy, ask the TS.com people where to send it. BE PATIENT in your search.

Good luck,

Shawn

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Our local gun shop will sell a new Browning Citori for $1300, and he doesn't have a reputation for low prices. Shop around, you may find a new one close to your budget. Spend the few extra dollars and get a gun which will last a lifetime. If you decide to get rid of it, and if you've taken good care of it, you'll always get most of your money back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.