1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Virus

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks DB

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Thanks, DB.

I received a couple of these last week. Knew I had no undelivered packages and did not attempt to print them.

Didn't consider the possibility of a virus or posting a warning here. (Ignorance can ba harmful.)

Rollin

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Thanks for the warning. It's not a bad idea to not open anything suspicious and look closely at all emails before opening. Beware especially of attachments. Also, forwards without anything written into the subject heading that is not personal in nature, may contain viruses. Many viruses could be forwarded from address books of your friends without them actually sending it. Always be cautious. BT-100dc

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The FedEx/UPS virus has been in the wild for over a year now. A new variant appeared in February of this year and targets DHL. The subject line carries the message "DHL Tracking Number".

Carol Lister

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Question:

My anti virus checks all incoming E-mail. At the end of the E-mail I get this conformation:

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441)
    Database version: 6.12600

Your opinion.

Would you feel safe opening any E-mail with your anti virus scan?

Frank

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

the first clue for a fake/problem should of been ups/fedex combination

bill

8. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Would you feel safe opening any E-mail with your anti virus scan?"</blockquote>
    In one word... NO! Adults trust email because they trust postal mail. For people that grew up with the mailman at the door, both mails are one-to-one communications and that if it came to you, it was meant for only you and it must therefore be safe to open. And they trust that any program they install to make sure of that safety must be reliable and effective because that's why it's on the market.

Anti- virus/malware/nasties software is ALWAYS playing catch-up to the bad guys. How often does your A/V software update its signatures? Mine updates several times a day and I won't open unknown email that's unexpected or contains attachments. I can isolate and scan attachments but the scans are only as good as the signatures in the database of the software I'm scanning with.

One of the "pros" to using a web-based email client is that a good client will scan all incoming mail when it hits its servers and reject anything that is suspicious; if it's dirty, you don't even get a chance to see it.

In short, you're only as safe as the A/V developers are willing to make you. They rarely put the same effort into free software that they put into the pay/subscription versions.

Carol Lister

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Open it with someone else's computer. :)

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

These are phishing emails, not spam. There is a difference.

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"These are phishing emails, not spam. There is a difference."</blockquote>
    Yes, there is a difference, but these are not phishing emails either. They are trojans (trojan horses).

Phishing emails trick the recipient into divulging confidential personal data by masquerading as a legitimate web entity, usually web sites. These emails leave nothing behind on the recipient's system.

Trojans masquerade as legitimate web entities to trick the recipients into downloading the malware into their system by opening attachments, viewing graphics or simply by opening the carrier. Trojans always leave a bit of malware behind to log keyboard entries or to mine data, contacts or whatever from the infected host system.

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.