1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Versus Old BT99

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jmunsell, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Seems as no one can come up with a BT99 or BT100 that fits my requirements so I have decided to possibly buy a brand new one but I have read that new one are not near as good as the old one so my question is just that. I want nice and all the adjustments so I was thinking a Grade 111. I want opinions from those who actually have owned both new and old Thanks.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Nothing at all wrong with the new ones Jim,..its just that folks figure if they are going to be spending a grand on a BT they would rather have the pretty glossy wood and a little scratch work on the metal...if you do go a new one and want an adjustable comb,..buy a plain stock model and have a comb job done by Tron and you'll be totally happy...with proper lube and care the new BT will last forever like the old ones...lots of good old ones out there,..just need to keep looking... Indiana Gun Club, Hi Grade Shooters, Etchens etc. are all good dealers who come across them..EBANG gun search engine night turn one up also...don't give up if you want the fancy one,,,the GrIII's are beautiful and worth the cost too

3. 548

548 Guest

Click the link ^

I don't know if the adjustable rib BT's are worth that kind of money or not, I've only had the old style BT's myself. But I sure do like the looks of these.

4. jmunsell

Sure does look nice 548 I might have to consider it. I seen the Gr 111 for just under $2400 with all the bells and whistles. I believe it even had the etching.

http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun-room/browning-bt-99-grade-iii-adjustable-comb-12-ga-34-017071425

Here it is.

5. CalvinMD

Jim,.. go to Joel Etchens website,..he has a bunch of Brownings on clearance sale and I believe I saw the Gr3 with Monte Carl stock on sale for $2125...thats a heck of a deal and the one he has displayed has the most awesome wood you'll ever see on a gun in that price range

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jim:
    I have owned numerous old style BT99's made prior to 1976 all great guns. Problem is I am left handed and I have only found one bt stock that was cast left. The only thing better with the new models in my opinion are the new barrels.

My first BT99 cost me $258.50. If I were you I'd spend that $2,000.00 on a mint Perazzi TM1. I was a Remington 870 collector as I had some expensive engraved models. When I would attempt to trade them them in, I was always told, "it's still just a 870". I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you. Regardless BT's are great guns and they are a part of trapshooting history.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

senior smoke,

Every BT 99 and BT 100 I've seen and owned were neutral cast stocks.

Edit: Except for the Thumbhole Stock BT 100 I owned which was a righty.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I think the new BT's are probably functionally as good as the old ones. The new ones have
    an aluminum trigger housing and trigger. Lots of castings but none of these changes have caused a problem with mine.

If you are the average size guy, I wouldn't waste money on an adjustable rib.

Keep looking for a deal on a BT 100 before buying. The drop-out trigger is nice.

9. jmunsell

Joel Etchens has no BT's for sale as far as I can see. I do have one person writing me about a bt 100.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BT 100's are a better gun in my opinion. I have owned both and still have BT 99's. I regret ever selling my BT 100. The drop out trigger mech on the BT 100 alone makes it a better buy but the higher rib is a plus. Again, my opinion.

My BT 99 and BT 100. The BT 99 is a new model and I have had zero problems.

grntitan_2009_2503162.jpg

11. CalvinMD

The standards are on sale for $1175...look under new guns>Browning then click on "Inventory Reduction Sale" a bit down that page... heres the link for the Gr3 http://www.joeletchenguns.com/newbrowningshotguns.htm click on above...$2125 for a GR3...was informec by Matt there that IS a sale price

12. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I saw the BT's when they first came out and watched them in use over the last 4+ decades but didn't get one until 2007, an NIB 2005, 34"adjustable.

The new BT's don't have the Forearm Bolt, B1793780 on the link;

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/images/bt99.pdf

I have read this can lead to splitting the forearm and/or shearing the other screws which attach the forearm, especially if the screws are not tight.

I have had no trouble with mine in this regard. I check the screws periodically and they have remained tight, as they were when it first came out of the box.

Mine is a 2005 manufacture gun which I acquired NIB in 2007, I shoot other guns as well so it has the relatively low round count of 8,000 to 10,000 rounds.

The forearm has been fine, don't know if I lucked out there, I am hoping that is an indicator things are fine and if it was going to fail, it would have by now.

I am painfully well acquainted with the triggers, due to an issue, now resolved, with mine. The trigger pull weight went from 4 pounds to 28 oz.'s in under 7,000 rounds.

This was due to premature wear on the sear.

I have had a new sear and hammer fitted and everything has been fine since with no measurable change in the weight since the repair. I had to arrange and pay for this here in Canada because Browning Canada is useless for customer support.

I have read posts on forums saying the trigger is aluminium now; this is NOT true on my 2005 gun.

I have seen all the tigger and other internal parts on the 2005 gun, close up and put a magnet on them, they are absolutely steel, I think mine might had had heat treat issues from day one based on the service from the replacement, so far.

The lever has gone to within about .020" of center in under 10,000 rounds but has stayed there and not moved any closer to center in subsequent shooting and locks up very tight. Time will tell on this one. I do shoot light loads, keep it clean & lubed and don't slam it shut.

One economy measure in BT manufacture was going from an ejector to an extractor but IMHO, this is not all bad; in 40 years of shooting, the most common BT-99 failure I have seen is broken extractor components.

My problems with the trigger issue, the lever going to center and reading numerous reports of forearm screw issues killed any a brief interest I had last year acquiring a BT-99 Golden Clays.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Buy the original BT! The current gun is made cheaper to save money.
    The resale is also not as good as the original. Be advised they tend
    to shoot very flat. You would be better off buying a used Perazzi
    TM-1 than a new style BT.

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Rem870TB , I have a 2004 model and the trigger is aluminum. Strange that yours would be steel. Is it blued? The other trigger parts are steel but the trigger housing should be aluminum.

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

It is a gold trigger but the magnet sticks to it on the 2005.

16. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

In case I wasn't obvious, I am pretty disappointed in my 2005 gun.

I REALLY wanted to love the BT but the problems killed any trust I had in the later models.

I really was looking at a new Golden Clays BT but the thought of paying that price and having similar problems with no back up in this country shot that idea down VERY quickly.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I prefer the older models, but if you are looking for newer, click the above link. Pretty good deal with adjustable comb.

18. FIB

FIB Member

I've owned several older BT 99's and I currently own a newer ('05 I think) model. The only difference that I've noticed is that the older models had the "engraving" and the new model has the back bored barrels plus extractors vs. ejectors. I actually prefer the new model to the old.

19. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Rem870TB

Excellent review of your experiences.

So many times there are post that reference my cousin's brother, aunt on her dad's side, best friend who died last week said...... I think he said....

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

2 years ago my insurance bought me a new golden clays bt 99. It shot 13 inches high at 35 yards with the beads stacked. The one I was used to, that was stolen shot 4 inches high. I sold the golden clays and bought a bt-99ar from Monsoors in Wisconsin. The adjustable rib was just the ticket for me and the ar is a beautiful gun. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do bt99 wear out

how old is my bt99 sn05072pn669

neutral cast bt 99

stacking the beads on a bt99 new plus