1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Urika or Used Tekyns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zybourg, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zybourg

zybourg TS Member

I am looking for a gun to use for Trap only.I have finally narrowed my choices down to 2 guns.
    One is a NEW Urika Parallel 28" barrel model# J391S21 and a USED AL391 Teknys ExtraWood with a 26" barrel.
    Both include the hard case and extra chokes.
    They are both within a few dollars price difference and the Teknys has had very little use and is in Immaculate condition.
    Please Help.

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

The Urika as you described it would be a better trap gun than the teknys with the 26 inch barrel which is a field gun. Field guns tend to be flatter shooting than trap guns, which iMHO would make the Urika a better choice especially since it has the parallel stock. JM

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

You didn't mention if you plan on shooting Doubles, but if not, then I wouldn't choose an autoloader. A single barrel break-open gun is much better suited for Trap, as they have better triggers and are far & away easier to clean and maintain.

OTOH, if you want to shoot Doubles as well, pick a good O/U and enjoy the advantage of having two chokes instead of one. Also, you won't eject empties on the guy next to you!

AndyH ;-)

4. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

I would have suggested the Tekneys but in this case the Urika wins becuase: 1) its new, 2) 28" barrell, & 3)the parallel stock. Hope that helps.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Buy the one that has the adj. comb and butt plate if possible!!!! Your will more than likely be buying a 30 inch barrel for either one in the near future anyway. The Tekyns is a better looking gun and with two barrels you can use for hunting and trap. Just a thought. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

OP, where are you? I may have a better choice for you in a 391. 32" Trap Model, like new with a lot of extras. Shoot me an email.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

the teknys is just a fancied up urika with the same works. The urika parallel is a superior gun but I would definitely get it with the longest barrel possible. Sight plane is everything in this sport.

8. zybourg

zybourg TS Member

Thanks for helping me make an informed decision about my choice of guns.It was driving me crazy and i wont rest until i purchase the New Urika 391 Parallel Stock.Even though the Teknys was a Beautiful Gun,it would be more practical to get the Urika with the 28" barrel rather than the Teknys with the 26" barrel as i am using it only for Trap.Thanks again Guys to each and every one of your responses.
    zybourg

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I use an AL 391 Urika Trap Optima with a 30" barrel as a back up gun. Great gun low recoil, a real pleasure to shoot. My primary gun barrel lengths are 32" and 34", In my opinion I would look for a barrel lenght 30" or 32", you'll only be looking for one later. The paralell target is availiable in the longer lengths. Not sure what length you're shooting now but, the shorter barrel will be noticeable.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had both the Urika & the Teknys. The only difference in the Teknys is fancier wood & metal work. The new Urika 2 has a self cleaning piston. Honestly anything less than 30" in barrel length would be marginal for trap shooting.If want to buy a gun, get a good used Urika parallel trap with a 30" barrel. Do the following alterations: 1) have an adjustable comb and butt plate installed 2) purchase a self cleaning gas piston 3) install a good bolt closer like a Briley or a DeVault 4) install a Kick Ezz modified trap pad & you'll be good to go 5) get a shell catcher

Phil Berkowitz

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Be aware that the OAL of a 28" Auto is about the same as a 30" O/U. Longer receiver on the auto is the difference!!

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

28 inch barrel is perfect for a auto gun with their long receiver. As most autos are barrel heavy with the gas systems out front 28 could be an advantage in balance. I have several autos with 28 to 32 inch barrels and the difference is so slight if I didn't look I could not tell the difference. We are all different so this is only my personal observations for me yours may differ. I see several older shooters with autos with shorter barrels because the move faster and are lighter for weaker old mussels plus soft shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.