1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New UAW contract, still paid while laid off?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by mrskeet410, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Before the bankruptcies and bail-out the UAW contract provided for nearly full pay for members if they were laid off. This seriously affected the ability of the automakers to reduce costs during the recession and led to their bankruptcies and bail-outs. (BTW, the USPS is now facing the same problem as the automakers)

I see the UAW signed a new contract with GM. Is this provision (nearly full pay during lay-offs) still in the contract? Is there any chance that provision was voided by Chrysler's bankruptcy/merger or GM's government bail-out?

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The UAW's all got $5000 bonuses.

The problem is with contracts that don't allow companies to effectively cut personnel expenses when production levels drop. Then you get companies staring at bankruptcy or bail-out in hard times. It's hard to survive tough years when personnel cost essentially become a fixed cost.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The contractual language that regulates bonuses paid to the hourly workers is directly proportioned to the profit margin AFTER every level of executives and administration take how ever much they can get away with. The fact there is any money left to pay hourly bonus means the floor workers must have been a lot more productive that most outsiders are willing to admit.
    Look into Bob Eatons severence/retirement package. Even Lee Iococa made a moral judgement of the Industry executives. His words were that in his day, a guy that pocketed a million or two extra was scandalous. He shook his head that even the lower executives were scaming $25 million plus, even if their area of responsiblity has made no improvements.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you want to be a CEO- go be one

America is a land of opportunity. You only have to sacrifice everything and be smart to become one.

Go for it.

If you dont want to work that hard then quit whinning

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Just because a person gets into a position that allows him the power to do things, does not make those things right. The execs in the past BUILT things, yes they lived well, but the put something back. They led organizations that BUILT home, communities,and cities. You can even see it in the buildings, big, proud and designed to stand for generations, just like their names. Many of todays crop are WRECKERS, who's battle cry is "I got mine, screw you!!!" All they focus on is making their own nest, even if it scraps out the company that is richly paying them to build. They tear down what the past generations have built. The buildings they build are pole barns with stucco covered styrofoam. They routinely make decisions that harms the longivity of the companies they are supposed to steward. They comnpletely violate common integrity and honesty. They have sold their hearts, souls and minds. I have been in fortune 100 as well as contraction environments. The most productive contracting business I ran had 70 plus men on payroll, and they were ALL union Electricians. I have heard 30 plus years of whining business men say that they cannot make it because of unions. I say they did not make it because of being lasy and incompetent. When a hired man only has focus on having both hands in the till, they do not have the ability to really focus on bringing a dream to maturity and making it happen.

I gave up enough and was smart enough to provide a comfortable living for 70 families, and I started it working out of the back of a 1984 mini van. I made a good buck and invested it through major investment firms. I also realize that my investments were simply stolen buy corporate pencil pushers never produced ANYTHING in their worthless lives. Yes, they are temporarily rich on stolen money. Are they smart? Are they honorable? These proud boastfull men have no more integrity than a drug crazed thug. They feel exhonorated by politicians who gave them quasi legal covering, but that still does not make them right.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This money your referring to when a UAW worker is laid off is called SUB (supplemental unemployment benefit) It has been in existence for 40+ years, and it pays a worker 90% of his/hers 40 hour take home pay. It supplements the state unemployment amount to bring the benefit to a 90% level. A certain amount of credits are deducted each benefit week from ones bank of credits, and that amount depends on the health of the plan and what percentage of workers are laid off in that local. You have a maximum of 50 credits and they can deduct from 1 to 5 of these credits each week you apply.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Thank you Toolmaker. Then SUB survived the bankruptcy of Chrysler, the bailout of GM, and the new UAW contract?

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I don't know if this benefit is still in the GM or Chrysler UAW contracts.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Well, Mr Obama's people hand picked the CEO. Blame him if the CEO makes too much, or puts the company in the crapper.

Wonder if anyone from the Obama Administration was at the negotiations? Pay back time!

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Toolmaker is correct, all of my BIL's worked for GM until they retired, most were bought out in the early 90's, but when there was a lay off they got about 90% of their pay, the company and the union made up the differance from what UE paid

But they were still crying the blues, because they lived off OT, in debt up to their eyeballs

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

What is a BIL?

12. atraphead

atraphead Member

The Big 3 should not let the general public know what their employees make.I dont care what you guys make , Why should you care what I make./ LLL-- OH yeah **FORD--- Built without your tax dollars !!!**

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

BIL = Brother-in-Law

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.