1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new tv

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

going to buy a new 40"TV.do i get a LED or a LCD?need help.don't know anything about TV's.they either work or they don't.

thank you Tracy

2. cementman

cementman Member

LED is the latest technology with a fantasic picture. Highly reccomend the Samsung models.

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

LED is just an LCD with LED backlighting instead of CFL (fluorescent), they both have an LCD panel.

The two things most likely to go on an LCD are the CFL and the power supply unit. Followed by capacitors (Samsung was hit hard by bad capacitors around 2007, and had to replace a lot of TVs). Samsung has a different supplier now for capacitors of course, and tests more rigorously than they did before.

LEDs should have exceptional longevity, for the backlighting anyway. One disadvantage (if you're extremely picky) is that most LEDs now are "edge lit", and the lighting may be slightly uneven over the panel. Impossible to see except with a black screen, maybe very dark scenes if your eyes are good enough. If you want a thin TV, it's gonna have to be edge-lit LED. I think a few true "full back lit" LEDs are also available.

The vast bulk of panels are made by LG and Samsung, just about every major brand uses LG or Samsung panels. The rest are cheap Chinese panels. Major brands typically have first-rate electronics and picture processing. So even if a cheap TV uses an LG or Samsung panel, don't make the mistake of thinking the picture will be as good as an LG or Samsung. Sony, for instance, sources their panels from Samsung and no longer makes their own panels. Most enthusiasts would put Samsung at the top of the heap for picture quality, but I think LG is close.

A few months ago, I got a 65" LG 65LW6500 LED 3D TV. It's a little over an inch thick and mounted on the wall in my "theater" room, recently remodeled by me. In case you're interested in 3D, LG uses a "passive" system, and the glasses are the same as in the theaters. Vizio and Toshiba have recently bought in on the system. Also Philips, which has an alliance of sorts with LG. Everything else uses "active", so-called "shutter" glasses, that are expensive ($100 bucks per), have crosstalk, and are much dimmer.

Motion interpolation (creation of intermediate frames between real frames) has come a long way. My 4 year old Philips 47" LCD has it, but it's pretty poor and shows a lot of artifacts. My new LG is much better. The purpose is to smooth out the motion, especially on long pan shots. Some people don't like it, preferring the usual film "judder" or slight jerkiness. To each their own.

Good luck whatever you get.

4. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Tracy,

You might want to think a little larger, perhaps a 46 inch model if it's going anywhere other than a bedroom. There are some grewat deals out there and the prices keep dropping. Newer models are LED and are usually a little thinner (lighter). If you shop around you can get a 46 in. Smart TV (connects to the internet) qith 3D. Consumer Reports lists some of the most reliable brands as Samsung, LG, and Sony, not in any special order. Be careful about some "sales" as they are usually older models. Check out the Best Buy website.

Dave

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

We bought a LED, over a LCD TV for two reasons. First was energy consumption. The LED uses about half the electricity that the same size LCD TV does. The difference in electricity consumption will make up the cost difference between the two in about 5 yrs or less. Second is the amount of heat generated by LCD TVs. The LED is noticeably cooler than the LCD. The room where we watch TV has marginal A/C during the hottest days of the summer.

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/buyinguides/screen-size._V192561996_.jpg

Have 5 Samsung LED's and in my opion are the finest TV out there. Never a problem. Also have a Plasma Pioneer that is 6 years old and excellent, but would not buy another Plasma as there is not lot of difference in picture qualilty. As far as picture size goes, go to the link above and it will give you some guidelines as to screen size. Do not buy to big a screen for the viewing distance as it is overpowering. Also, people regret that they did not get a larger screen, for example they buy a 37 and wish they would have bought the 40" for couple hundred dollars more. Viewing distance is the key.

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Toshiba 55 inch LED 3D smart TV. Ray

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

the best price i could find was a Samsung(i only looked at Samsung&LG) on e bay.is there any way to tell if its a new model or one that has been sitting in a warehouse for a year or more?it has smarty w/options that i will never use but it comes w/it.thank you
    Tracy

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

LED will last a great time longer then LCD. The LCD will take in power while its even off to stay warm. The LED will not. I was told that by a electic engineer.

10. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Have a look at Amazon.com, their prices are as good as you'll find. If you have a problem (like with dead pixels) they'll make good (exchange/refund) no questions asked in the initial 30 days. After that, you'll have to rely on the manufacturer's warranty.

Just to comment on some of the good points made by other posters:

1) Go big, you'll never regret going bigger than originally intended. Check out the viewing distance calculator at the link above. Or do a search on HDTV viewing distance, you'll get lots of results.

2) LEDs run pretty cool, even my 65" LG. By comparison, my 6 year old plasma can help with heating the room it's in during the Winter. Only a slight exaggeration. My new LED is also more energy efficient than my 4 year old 47" LCD, way more efficient than the plasma.

3) LED picture quality is nearly on a par now with plasma, with the exception of black levels and viewing angle, but it's so close now as to make little difference. And LEDs are *much* better for bright rooms than any plasma.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.