1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Truck- Ford Gas or Diesel??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ron (vt), Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Would like to buy a newer truck to replace my 2004 Ford F250 V-10. Had my mind pretty much set on gas but lots of diesels out there at very inviting prices. Do pull a fifth wheel so that had to be taken into consideration. Does any body have a 2011 and newer Ford Diesel? Opinions?? Thanks much.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

If ya just want to ride, get a gasser. If ya are gonna work it, get a diesel.

GneJ

3. warren

warren Member

Diesel

warren

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Get the new engine that s the 6.7 diesel. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE 6.0 DIESEL ENGINE. ITS TRASH. You will be VERY sorry if you do buy a 6.0. I have heard so far good things on the 6.7. Gas is not what you want.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ford has a lot of work to do trying to get the confidence of their truck buys back. The 6.0 was a disaster and the 6.4 wasn't much better. The new 6.7 may be good, but if I had to buy a Ford diesel I would be searching out the absolute best 7.3 truck I could find. There is a reason why those trucks still fetch a premium price.

ss

6. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

I'm still confused why they jumped ship and went from the 7.3 to 6.0 instead of doing the logical thing and going down to the 6.7, then maybe trying the 6.4. Know 4 friends that purchased the 6.7 and have been very happy with it so far. I may be making the jump soon. Jake

7. bodyshopdave

bodyshopdave TS Member

I have a new 2012 f150 with the new 3.6 ecoboost.I ordered it with all the xtra payload and towing packages.I can leagaly haul 11300lbs.I haul a dump trailer with a bobcat(over 10000 lbs).I haul a 37' camper(11100lbs).It has plenty of power it just doesn't get the gas mileage that they say it does.

8. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I've got 8000 miles on my new 2012 Ford SuperDuty crew cab diesel. It is a great ride. Mileage is right at 16.0 mpg with 70% on highway. It would be much better if not for the constant "regen" the truck goes thru about every 200 miles. They "regen" to clean the DPF (diesel particulate filter). More stupid EPA crap. Lots of guys are pulling it off and doing an aftermarket tuner to stop all that "regen" non-sense. You will lose warranty though. Probably something I'll do after 100,000 miles when warranty is long gone.

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The new trucks with urea injection have a smaller fuel tank, as the urea tank was put in where the fuel tank is. This is the only knock I have heard from my friends who drive the 6.7 liter. They are remarkably quiet for a diesel, and the interior is much more sophisticated than my 2002 7.3 liter.

10. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Want a good diesel? Get a 2000 -2003 Dodge. Bullet proof.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We have all diesels, and we like them, never any problems with they but it chaps my ass about the price of fuel, they are screwing you it should be cheaper than gas

And they have come a long ways with the newer gassers

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Unless you plan on pulling that 5th wheel more than twice a year I'd go with gas. But then again I'd also go with a Chevy. LOL. But that's another story. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

13. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Go with gas for everyday use and pulling a camper to shoots. Different answer if you pull stuff weekly. No matter how many times I run the numbers gas always comes out cheaper for the long haul. I had three diesels in the past and in my opinion they are to expensive. In the past I sold my trucks after 100,000 miles, but ran my 91 over 200,000 my 97 over 200,000 and now have 80,000 on my 05, 90,000 on my 07 and 130,000 on my 08 all Chevy's. Might be different if I had access to off road diesel and a big tank in the back.

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Using farm (off road) deisel in road vehicles is a good way to receive a very large fine, or is that really a tax?

15. smittys800

smittys800 TS Member

6.0 liters do have their issues, once fixed, bullet proof!! I would not trade mine in a minute, unless I got a 6.7 that is!! Now there is a power plant.
    All Ford design, and has huge power. Only real issues so far that we have had are egr coolers plugging up.
    If you do buy an older 6.0, avoid the 03/04 model year, and get an extended warr for the just in case issues.
    Issues you may see... head gaskets, stuck turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler and ficm.
    As you can see, I get to work on them everyday. I have 80k on my '06, once the issues mentioned were done, no issues at all.
    Just my 2 cents worth
    Smitty

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The 7.3 diesel engine is a great engine but he Gov EPA wanted ford to clean it up coming out of the rear exhaust. Ford couldn't and that is why they stopped making the 7.3. The 6.7 repaced it and the word is they are doing great.

17. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

My wife has a 6.7 crewcab. We get 17mpg, and we pull a 37' 5th wheel about 12K a year. When pulling the 5th wheel I think my mpg is closer to 12. But it is still better than I ever got with gas, either pulling or not. This vehicle I jokingly call it my wives "Redneck Lincoln". Tim

18. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

A suggestion: if you buy a 2008 or newer Ford diesel, be certain to get the extended warranty. Usually extended warranties aren't worth it, but in this case it is. To check, call your local Ford dealer and ask for a labor quote on replacing the intercooler or for any major engine work. My shooting partner just had the intercooler on his '08 F-350 6.4 diesel replaced under warranty and the bill would have been $4,900 if he'd had to pay out of pocket. The work involved removing the entire front clip and the cab from the truck.

Call a couple of reputable shops in your area and get quotes for things like replacing a turbo, intercooler, head gaskets, etc before you buy.

Len in PHoenix

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Len, a intercooler cools the compressed air that was just made by a turbo or super charger (more oxygen in cool air vs warm air) and it takes about 1 hour to replace one and there less then $1,000 You must be confused with some other repair. STS1100, Ford had little warranty repairs on the 7.3 Navistar, they eventually discontinued this engine because it did not meet the required EPA standards in 2003. The replacement was the 6.0 that had major mechanical and electrical issues that led to Ford and Navistar suing each other. Te next engine was the 6.4 that has a HPCR fuel system, that had some issues also but nothing like the 6.0 which by 2006 would not make the EPA standards and was dropped in the super duty trucks, but was still available in super duty econoline until 2010. Navistar still builds the 6.4 (maxxforce 7) Ford went on to design their own 6.7 diesel for 2011 that uses a Bosch CP pump which GM also uses in their 6.6 Duramax and there have been some problems with these pumps. If one of these 29,000 psi injector pumps self destructs it will cost $12,000 in repairs for a complete fuel system. The day's of burning used motor oil, transmission fluids etc in these new diesels are over.

20. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I've got a 2011 6.7 and love it although I did have an issue where the truck died and would not restart until waiting awhile. Turns out it was an egr sensor that would shut down the engine when reaching a certain temperature. I believe this was part of the recall that Ford made. Anywho that was repaired and they reprogrammed it and no additional issues. I can't believe the fuel milage it gets! I can get 18 to 18.5 if I run below 70 MPH. 4x4 Crew Cab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.