1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New trapshooter looking for advice and deal

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Farbodr, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farbodr

Farbodr TS Member

0   0   0

Hello fellow trap shooters,

I have been bitten by the trapshooting bug. My brother introduced me to the sport a couple of months ago. He is an experienced trapshooter with a few years under his belt. A few months ago I decided to join him in one of his meets since it was next to the range I was shooting. I tried it once with him standing behind me and that was it. I had to do more.

He has been a great coach. So far I have been using his backup gun, a 682x un-single. Although this is a great gun I do need to eventually get my own. This is a good position to be in. I can take my time and find the right gun that fits my budget and meets my needs.

So I am interested in hearing your advice and of any good deals.

Here is what my ideal first/starter gun should be like:

1) Prefer o/u over un-single in case I decide to do doubles (as much as I agree that bt-99 is a good starter gun this excludes them for me). A combo would be even better.
    2) I'd like to also try sporting clay at some point so it would be great if I could do it with the same gun
    3) adj comb
    4) adj butt
    5) adj rib ( I know this will put the gun way out of my budget but never hurts to try)
    6)interchangeable chokes (not a must have)
    7) a case (not a must have)
    8) like to stay with break open instead of semi-auto but will consider a nice auto

My budget for all of this is under 1500 (a lot under if my wife has anything to say about it)
    So I am sure some of you by now think I am smoking something if I think I can have all of these and stay in budget.

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Fred

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

0   0   0

for what your buget can afford,I think a remington 1100 would be your best bet.Maybe you will get lucky and find a browning citori for that price. remember ,its not the bow but the indian.

3. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

0   0   0

Browning xs skeet, Browning Special Sporting Clays Edition..... may have to spend a little more than $1500 but worth it. I would go with 32 inch barrels. You won't find a combo for that price range.

4. 548

548 Guest

0   0   0

Another $500 and you will open up your selection ten fold. I would be nice to your brother and save for a little while longer.

5. Farbodr

Farbodr TS Member

0   0   0

My brother keeps reminding me to be patient and the right gun will turn up. I am hoping as I wait longer my budget increases

Fred

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

For those kind of $$$$$$ buy a Beretta trap auto loader. $1500 will only get you a piece of junk in a combo setup.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I would buy a beretta auto or 1100. Shoot a while then spend more $$. The auto wont depreciate and your needs will change. Good luck and welcome to our world. I see you have the typical hook in mouth LOL

8. 3357

3357 Member

0   0   0

Fred, be sure to have your brother fully explain the economic side of trapshooting to you before you jump off the high board.

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I've got your dream gun: 32'o/u, 34" un sgl., cased, 11 choke tubes. Play all the games with one gun. Problem is, 1500 won't touch it. If you can find all that for 1500, don't go near it. It's trash!

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I'll second or third the Beretta purchase. Stay way from the Browning autos. Nice field guns but won't hold up on the line. Bill

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Rem. 1100/1187 or Beretta 390/391.

12. lostandout

lostandout Member

0   0   0

buy a winchester select energy sporting can be bought new for about 1400 good gun for the price

13. Farbodr

Farbodr TS Member

0   0   0

I am looking at a winchester select energy trap in almost new condition for 1300 (should be at my FFL in a day or so). It doesn't have adj comb or butt but I can add those as needed.

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

0   0   0

I found this one on gunbroker. Buy it now $1795 with O/U and Single, Adj stock, choke tubes.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323856938

Regards,

Bill

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

Let me warn you that Winchester Select Energys are low-end trap guns. They are notorious for broken forends, failures to fire, and general lack of durability. That is a fact, regardless of what anybody else tells you.

-Gary

16. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

PM SENT

Gene

17. Farbodr

Farbodr TS Member

0   0   0

GW22,

Admittedly select energy is not a high end trap gun given its going price but you are the first person I've heard to say bad things about it. I've tried to research it as much as I can and I've never heard anyone say those things about it. I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say about it in general.

Fred

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

0   0   0

I didn't "say bad things." I simpy recounted facts that I've witnessed with my own two eyeballs. You have every right to ignore my warning and fork over your money. Good luck.

-Gary

19. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Fred, WELCOME to trapshooting. It is great to have another shooter start up.

I would look for a Browning Citori Plus. Great guns and very reliable. You should be able to find a nice gun in that price range and will have an adjustable comb.

You got some great advice from others on the Rem and Beretta's as well. See how the Winchester shoots for you. We have not shot any so I have no comment. Take your time and get what works for you.

I would recommend putting up a pattern board to see where you shoot on any gun.

Again, welcome to trapshooting. Wishing you the very best

Bud Bartholow

20. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

See if you can find a Rottweil AA72trap combo. Helluva lotta gun and going pretty cheap these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.