1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New trap shooter, Which gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CLP101, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

The only trap guns I can find locally are a BT99 Stainless new for $1350 or a used one for $1000(32" Full fixed choke), Krieghoff KS-5 well used for 2350, and a Weatherby Athena Trap combo with one O/U bbl. and a under single bbl.(older but not used much) for 1750.

I have always loved the look of the Athena since I was a kid, but you don't see them at the trap club ever. Is there something not so good about them? What are the pro's and con's of each? The KS-5 has adj. comb and buttplate, not sure what brand. The used BT-99 has a morgan butt plate.

Thanks

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

lubricant, what do you want to shoot? singles, handicap? or doubles too...

How much is in your budget?

Give us some more info on the Athena combo... bbl lengths... chokes..

3. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

i just started shooting this year and began the year with an English stocked Remington 31. goergeous gun but not exactly fitted to the game. I bought a BT-99 the day after my first shoot, added an adjustable comb and shot it for about 6 weeks. I wanted a double gun and instead of buying just that I went looking for a combo; I traded the BT-99 on an SKB GC-7 Grade III combo. Love the gun. After some professional instruction, I am shooting it well. I did add a recoil reducer and will add an adjustable butt plate this week, then that is it. It shoots well, has all the adjustments you need, although let the older guys tell you when and what to adjust, don't do it on your own. And learn to shoot with both eyes, it really makes it less stressful.

4. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I've been shooting 16yd and wobble trap at our club. I have a 101 field I can use for doubles, but it's not a trap gun. We really don't shoot doubles there, but we do hold 5 stand shoots once a month. My 101 with 28" Mod bbls. works well for that.
    The Athena has 32" O/U bbls. with screw in chokes, and a 34" single with tubes. It's absolutely beautiful. I just wonder why you never see them? I've wanted one since I was a kid. They were well over a grand back in the eighties. This set had to be over 2000 new.
    My dad always taught us to shoot with both eyes open, even with scopes. You see more and can react to targets quicker.
    Thanks
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.