1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW TRAP RANGE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr.mark, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Finally finished up my new trap field after a week of working on it.

Here is some pictures of the final product, still need to do some more dirtwork before I'll be satisfied.

Here is the land after clearing all the brush:
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1548.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

And now with the machine sitting in place, (I still need to cut the ground down a little more.):
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1554.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here is a look at the front of the trap house, prior to paint:
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1537.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

And a look at the side prior to paint, (it was made with leftover metal from the shop it is sitting in.):
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1535.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Right side of the machine:
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1539.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Left side of the machine:
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1540.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Inside the house:
    <a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/numberonemrmark/?action=view&current=DCP_1538.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

It is powered by the generator you see sitting in the background, and will have wheels in the future instead of skids to make it even easier to transport. I would like to thank Western Retro for making such a wonderful product to compliment the W/W trap. By the way I shot 50 handicap targets off it this evening and it worked perfectly.

Mr. Mark

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Looks good! Tell me more about Western Retro?

3. acre44

acre44 Member

Looks good. Where do you live? I will buy some rock and come right over.

4. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I'm in Colorado City, TX, right off of I-20 about 3 miles. I will be throwing some fun shoots in the future for people around the area.

I will take some better pictures next week with the sun out. It is a wonderful view because you stand on a hill and the field lays down below you. The view has mequites all around so you don't get all that dust off of the Cotton Fields blowing all over you as you shoot, and there is even a lake in the background.

Incidentally I have my original machine I built about a year and a half ago that is currently for sell on the thread "trap machine for sale."

My favorite part of this new machine is since I have a wireless voice release, I can shoot doubles, singles, and handicap all by my self right out in my own back pasture. What a great way to practice!

More pictures to come.........

Mr. Mark

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Mr. Porter,

I posted the website for western retro up above, Ian is a great guy to do business with and installation took me about 10 minutes.

The machine worked perfectly the first time I tried it and has now thrown 50+ targets without breaking any.

Western Retro makes a single target conversion that holds about 270 and then the double conversion which I have which will throw 50 singles or 50 doubles. I remember handsetting targets on the W/W when I first started shooting trap and I like the conversion alot. For a full squad to shoot I would simply have someone in the house filling the machine up as we shot. This prevents people getting slapped by the arm from a fast shooting squad and also allows consistent target placement on the arm for more consistent birds for all shooters.

Send me an email if you would like some more pictures.

Mr. Mark

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Are you going to put concrete block up around the house? Seems to me that the first AD against the back of the house will result in real damage to the sheet metal. Sure am jealous. Have fun. Mike

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

House looks awfully tall - or is that a tropical dillusion?.....Bob Dodd

8. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Bob it is still sticking out of the ground more than what I wanted, but my vacation time was over and I have to head back to work this morning. I will be doing some more dirt work in another week or so. But after all the time I spent cutting brush and grubbing it by hand, and then building this thing, I had to at least try it out before going back to work! Surely you can understand that it is a work in progress.

My old machine was 36 inches tall in the back and it was just fine on ground level. This one sits on a sloping piece of ground. There is about a 1 1/2 foot elevation drop from where you stand to shoot, to where the machine is so even though it is 48 inches tall in the back, it's really not in the way of seeing and shooting the bird. When I move some more dirt it will sit even lower and have dirt going up to the back of the house to make it appear not quite so tall.

Like I said though, I just had to try it!

Mr. Mark

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lucky man. Thanks, for sharing with us.

10. traploader

traploader Member

Mr. Mark,

Thanks for the pictures and your comments. I'm glad you're happy with your machine. It's stories like yours that keep us going. Shoot well.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

The measurements are 7' 6" wide from the back, which is minimum width as described in the official rule book. The length from front to back is 6 foot which still allows me to put it on a 6' trailer and transport it anywhere I wish to go shoot. The height is 48 inches in the back and slants up to 51 inches in the front which is higher than the maximum allowable height in the rule book. However, it is sitting on a piece of land that is flat where the shooting stations are, then slopes down to the machine and where the field is. I'm still working on moving some more dirt behind the machine so that it will only show about a foot of the machine above the ground. However for right now, with the targets set between 8 and 10 feet above the height of the shooting stations at 10 yards in front of the house, you can see the target very easily above the house. The pictures are unable to show the fact that the ground slopes down to where the house sits.

I will post some more pics when I get the rest of the dirt work done.

Mr. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.