1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

New Trap Machine-Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

Our club is currently using a Beomat which performs great. We also have an Outers that does not without someone in the trap house almost constantly. Do any of you use traps that work well and have long life that you can attest to personally.

I was looking at an atlas video and it impresses me in the simple operation but I don't know how they perform in the long hall.

I would appreciate your personal opinions. Price is an issue. Thanks
  2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

3. puablo

puablo Active Member

For serious trap shooting, PAT would be my only choice. We had a range for many years and used them. Trouble free and good targets. Good people to deal with. Jeff Philipbar/formerly Taconic Trap in NY.
  4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Our club just installed a Promatic. I must admit that I was disappointed that we did not buy a Pat Trap, but so far so good. I have been very pleased with the performance so far. It throws singles, doubles and wobbler trap. Can't vouch for durability since it has only been in a month. Jack
  5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

Pat Pat Pat Pat did I say Pat. It is your best choice.
  6. motordoctor

motordoctor Me and my new wiife Staff Member

why look to reinvent the wheel. Look at the grand, ohio state and many other clubs. Think that the big clubs would but trouble. Many of the traps work good but I would buy what everyone else buys. Theya re also very good on service and parts. motordoc
  7. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is an issue.
  8. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Dave,
    I will agree New trap machines are not cheap. Last year our club was getting fed up with the repair bills for our trap machines. We had seven machines with four different types. We were in the market for new machines. At the Grand Pacific, Promatic had a brand new out of the box machine. I watched them take it out of the shipping crate. They set it up on one of the practice traps. After the Grand Pacific. The machine came to our club for our fall registered shoot. About half way throught the shoot, the machine broke down and we were not able to get it up and going for the rest of the shoot.In January a motion was made at the board meeting to buy six new Pat traps. That motion got pared down to buy three new machines and then selling the machines we have to afford buying more new machines. We bought three new machines and installed them. We sold four of the machines we had. Then another motion was made to the board to buy two more machines. I was not there last Friday for the work party but the last machine was to be installed last Friday. We now have five brand new Pat traps in all of our trap houses. All the same model of machines. This should help with maintainence and training of club members for working on the machines.

Jim Bradbury
  9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

Dave, it's the stingy man who pays the most. The PAT will end up costing you less in the long run.

best....mike
  10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 TS Member

My Lions Club bought a Pat Trap a few years ago for our shoot and we have been very pleased with it.

I sure would recommend the Pat Trap.

Allen
  11. romie

romie Member

Get a new pat and you will only spend time loading targets. get a used one and you will spend a little time working on it.
    Monty McGee
  12. Ol Faithful

Ol Faithful Member

Dave, We purchased a GP (Great Plains) trap machine that runs flawless. Our

club is in Michigan where cold weather plays a big factor. The GP trap machine

is the most simple machine around. It is all electric which is a plus in that

you don't have hydraulics to worry about. It is a quality well engineered,

reliable & fair priced machine. Brent Fleming, the owner & engineer of the

company answers his own phone & is great to deal with. I highly recommend

taking a serious look at them. Check them out at www.gptraps.com - I am not

in anyway affiliated with the the company whatsoever - just a very satisfied

customer. Paul.
  13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Dave our club tried in earnest to make to make an "off" brand (cheaper) one work. Many many many problems down time, broken birds etc.. Bought a PAT 100% better, no problems what so ever. Save yourself the aggravation. Just my $.02
  14. 320090T

320090T Active Member

The only problem with a GP is it's not able to throw doubles, other than that, great machine.
  15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

If you live in the cold the hydraulics will be a pain. We have the GMV and I feel it better suits cold weather. Both excellebt carefree machnes
  16. slick50

slick50 Member

If you are concerned about the cost you may want to contact Vinny Velois. He is an expert trap mechanic for Pat Trap machines. Sometimes he has reconditioned used Pat Trap machines for sale. Sorry I don't have his cell number but he is probably between Florida and Cicero, NY. right now. Someone on here may have his contact info. Bill
  17. 320090T

320090T Active Member

18. traploader

traploader Member

More information would be helpful Dave. Do you want to be able to throw registered targets? Are you looking for automatic doubles & singles? How do you power the traps now..110VAC or 12VDC?

My company provides customized Winchester-Western automatic trap machines. These are more economical than newer trap machines on the market but still commercial-grade and throw a great target.
  19. chipking

chipking TS Member

Both of my local clubs use GMV Super Stars and they have for the most part done very well. BUT getting parts for them is becoming harder and more expensive. We had a field down for almost 6 months because one of the members jammed the throwing arm with the elevator and kept pushing the button until the motor smoked. We ended up kludging in a different size replacement motor because it was the only one available. I would give my vote to the Pat Trap as well. As for the cold weather issues I don't see much trouble with the newer generations.

--- Chip King ---
  20. ric3677

ric3677 Active Member

We have 14 Pats and live in the cold of MT. We very seldom have a problem due to the cold. Maybe it's colder in Idaho?

We had GMV's for a few years, 4 of them to be exact and after the gentleman from Edmonton went away, so do the fantastic service for us in the west.

We ended up selling them to a club here in Montana and they have really worked to make them work. They have a great bunch of guys that are the mainstay of the trap mechanics. They keep those machines in tip top shape. When they are working properly they throw a great target.

I would recommend something that you will be able to get help on whatever you get. Afterall, they are both machines, and as such will break down.

Rick in Sunny MT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.