1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Customf1, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

Hi I'm new to trap and glad to have found this site. My buddy recommended that I come here. He's a great trap shooter, he got 24 out of 25 very impressive. I sucked my first time out but am looking forward to getting better at it. I bought a Remingtom 11-87 off of Gunbroker and the carrier release button assembly is all messed up. It was just sent out for repair. Does anyone else like this gun? I got it in mint condition other than the problem with the trigger assembly, I am very happy with it. Thanks, Howard
    <a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/customf1/?action=view¤t=trap-1.jpg" target="_blank"> trap-1.jpg </a> <a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/customf1/?action=view¤t=trap2.jpg" target="_blank"> trap2.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/customf1/?action=view¤t=trap1.jpg" target="_blank"> trap1.jpg </a>

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Friends don't tell friends about TS.COM! (Lol)

Welcome.

As you progress you'll find what works for you.

Good luck!

Jim C.

Hell, Michigan

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addicting sport of Trap

Rick in MT

4. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

That Remington will be the first of many trap guns. Years later you will wonder where the money went. Good luck with it.

5. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Shot my first round of trap about 2 years ago. Shot with an 1100 dove hunting gun for the first year and guys kept telling me I should get a trap gun. About a year ago (13 months to be exact) I bought a Rem. 1100 Classic Trap. Have put 5000+ shells thru it since. Now 24's and 25's are getting to be a lot more common with the occasional 50 straight. Have not shot 75 straight yet but have a couple 98's. Just joined the ATA and am gonna start shooting registered targets in the upcoming shooting year (2013). Just LOVE this game. Had to quit smoking to afford the habit. LOL Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I have been fortunate to have some old timers that are really good shooters give me lots of pointers and help. By the way I love my 1100 but now I want an O/U. But first I have to buy more shells. Its a never ending thing.

David

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Welcome!! and yes the 11-87 is a great gun for any shooting sport as it will allow you to play all games though a shorter barrel might allow you to do your best at skeet and sporting clays

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

customf1: Those 1187s are a very fine gun and in all reality probably all you would ever "need", notice I didn't say want, GRIN--can't tell from the pic if it's a trap model but that makes very little difference if it shoots where YOU want it to. How many years did Leo H. shoot 1100s??? Enjoy your new found love. However I do pity your wallet.chuckle-chuckle Ross Puls

8. C-Money

C-Money Member

Welcome! Trap is a great sport, I have been addicted since the age of 7 when I first shot targets on a practice night with my Dad. A few years later, my dad bought me a 11-87 premier trap, and I shot that gun for 20+ years until I began shooting a TM1 this spring. The 11-87 is still going strong, my wife shoots it and so does my nephew. I am sure my kids will shoot it when they are big enough. Point being, The 11-87 is a great trap gun! Keep it clean!

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Howard:
    First of all welcome to this site. Your 1187 is a very nice shotgun and I wish you some great scores with it. Here is some advice that one of the all time greats gave me by the name of Vic Reinders when I first started trapshooting.

He told me to marry my gun like I would marry my wife. He suggested to learn to shoot my gun and use the money that I would normally spend on trading and buying guns and use that money to shoot.

This sport is addictive, and even though I enjoy shooting, I like the camaraderie with fellow shooters even more. Most of the participants are good, hard working individuals. Should you ever need help of any kind, just ask for it on this site or at a local gun club.

In my opinion, this is the greatest game, with the greatest people in all of sport. Enough said.

Steve Balistreri

10. No Luck

No Luck TS Member

I love the 11/87 trap. They have some of the best barrels remington ever made. I clean mine about every 5 to 6 hundred rounds. Never had any problems. Those 11-87 trap barrels have a built in constriction of about .018 if I remember correctly. So add that to any choke you put in there. I was lucky enough to find a big bore fixed full chokes in 30 and 28 in. I prefer fixed chokes but that's just me. Softest shooting guns you will shoot without mods. They will even tame down those shoulder busters you are using for a prop. But you want to stay away from heavy field loads because these trap models are not gas compensated like the field models.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Howard:

The 11/87 will serve you well for a lifetime if you clean it regularly and use proper ammunition. I two 11/87's - a Premier Trap and a Sporting Clays, an 1100 TB and several 870 trap grades. All have excellent barrels and are very dependable.

The 11/87 Premier Trap will say so on the right side of the receiver, where the ejection port is located. It is very important to know if you have a trap grade and not a field grade.

Trap grade 11/87's are not pressure compensated and should not be used with any loading heavier than 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 which is also called a pigeon load. Shooting heavier loads will cause the bolt to recoil at a destructive velocity and will damage the receiver. On the plus side, the trap grades reliably cycle 1 oz loads with ease.

Welcome to TS.com.

Ed Ward

12. deadnout

deadnout Member

welcome to the sport. it is quite addictive as you will find out. as for as 11-87 goes its good gun. i started with a mossberg 500. that was 38 yrs ago. i have since had 9 guns. i still have 6 of those guns. next comes reloaders. get ready because you will goe nuts on which one you will want. ive got 3 reloaders all 12 ga. im toying with the idea of other gauges now. oh boy more guns will be needed har har. take your time and enjoy. rich

13. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

To clarify the pictured gun that I have posted above is an 11-87 Premier trap. It came with a modified choke. I really appreciate all the positive feedback about the sport of Trap Shooting and of my new gun. This is a great site and I'm very happy to be here. Thanks Howard

14. LFT687

LFT687 Member

My first trap gun was an 1187. It wasn't a trap model, but hey, what did I know. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. By the way, do you always shoot the loads that the gun is resting on in the picture?
    Dave

15. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Very nice gun Howard. Welcome to the world of trapshooting. BTW I hope you're not using those loads shown in the picture when shooting singles! LOL

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Learn to service your Remington. There is a wealth of info to be found here.

A new carrier is less than $30. Jerry Kuhnhausen has a good book on your gun. It will pay for itself on your first repair.

BTW, welcome to the clay target shooter's community. Lots of great people here.

If you want, send me your Email addy and I will get you a good PDF on your Remmy.

17. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Your back ground pictures looks like the Minniapolis Gun Club.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I started out shooting registered trap with an 1187 LH Premier. The gun served me well but as the Coach says, you will need to become competent at maintaining the gun. No big deal really, there is a wealth of knowledge right here on this forum that can walk you through any and all problems.

If the trap bug bites you really hard like it has for most here, you will start looking at and trying other trap guns and sooner or later you will just have to upgrade. This isn't a logic based thing so don't try to resist it in that manner.

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask us questions about the trap game or your equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.