1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Trap Gun questions/comments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rimfire, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rimfire

rimfire TS Member

Good afternoon.

Just purchased a Model 12 with a recoil system, adjustable pad and adjustable comb [Ken Rucker design]. Shot it the first time this past Sunday and shot my best round ever with it, which is not saying much as I have not shot much trap. Did shoot a 24 which was a lot better than typical for me.

Shot three rounds and while I was happy with how I shot (22, 24, 22) I did notice that the high comb bruised my cheek pretty good. By the third round I could tell I was getting bruised.

Suggestions on how to lessen the cheek impact? Can I just buy a soft comb pad that straps or sticks on the comb? Please give me specific makes of anything you suggest.

In addition, I noticed that I could not simply drop the shell in the action and push the pump forward. It would bind and ultimately I had to start dropping the shell into the chamber and then close the action. Is that typical for a Model 12 or should I get my Model 12 checked. My 870 allows me to simply slip the shell into the action and close.

Thanks for reading this far.

Barry Fitzgerald

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

Barry, your model 12 is out of time. Take it to a really good gunsmith for repair. Rollin O. will probably tell you your pitch needs to change in order to solve the bruising and there are several easy remedies to fix it.

Steve

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have used the soft combs for the last 25 years. Meadow Industries has one as well as Cheekeze. It sure sounds like the stock on your Model 12 does Not fit you. The comb may be too high and maybe there is not enough pitch; the recoil pad should contact the top and bottom of your shoulder pocket at the same time.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

To me, a cheek thump is a sign that the stock length is incorrect - too long, usually. You might try different thickness recoil pads.

Ed

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

But, if you get stumped, you might get in touch with Ken Rucker and see what he can do for you - I'd reckon he could help you in all concerns with the gun; Speedbump Stockworks, Ken Rucker, 172 Redbird Lane, Sadler, TX 76264 phone = 903.523.5590 cell = 903.815.6535 www.speedbumpstockworks.com .....Bob Dodd

6. jrb100

jrb100 Member

Barry,
    I also shoot a model 12 trap.I would try changing the pitch first.Try a pitch spacer that is 1/4" thick at the top and tapers down towards the bottom,or you use washers also on the top to test it out.I ended up cutting 3/16" of pitch into my stock and it made a big difference with my gun.I always put the shell into the chamber when I load.It is no different than loading a shell into a break open gun.I would not give up on it to quick.I've had mine 3 years now and had 4-5 more expensive guns,but I shoot the 12 more consistent than all of them and if you have a full choke,you will will fill the sky with smoked targets ONCE YOU GET IT FIT AND SHOOT WHERE YOU LOOK.

good luck,
    joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.