1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New trap field...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been shooting for a little less than a year. I shoot at one field and have been in the 20's for the past month or so (1 24, lots of 23's). Last night I accepted the invitation of someone to shoot at their field. My high score was a 13! My home field is ATA, the other field was not.

Could there be that much difference in the field set-up to mess me up that much? I just can't figure that out. I shot three rounds. The only consolation was that everyone else was not doing very well either. But they all accepted this as normal. Should I shoot there again or stay on my home field to massage my ego?

Comments please...

Bruce

2. B.C.

B.C. Member

probably had the them set in the 4 hole, or the just wound the spring up! hope this helps, B.C.
    [ps] don't get to discouraged I don't think it was you !

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

There are a lot of factors that could be in play. Differences in the background can affect how easy it is to see the targets. As noted above, settings on the trap can have a huge impact on scores. If they are using a handset trap the way the targets are set on the machine can make a difference. Voice calls vs someone pushing a button.

If it was a night shoot, as it seems it was from your post, the lights might be the biggest factor. We have one club here that I shoot at occaisionally, I love shooting there, used to be a member of the club, like the people, but I don't shoot there often because their lights suck. It's hard to hit a target that you can't see.

That being said, when/if you start shooting competitively, you should probably shoot at several different clubs. Shooting a variety of targets, backgrounds, and lightings will help you deal with any conditions you might run into.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

My mentor and I shoot "harder" targets in practice. Usually set higher and faster as changing angles is more of a pain.

Tougher targets are good practice. Don't worry about lower scores. Work on the fundamentals and build your confidence.

30 MPH cross winds are real fun. Targets will move up in one direction and dive in the other. Your (and my) scores get beat to crap. The good shooters are less affected. Why?

Now, for ATA, we try to throw "feel good" targets (right at the T-bar and a yard short of the stake). Keep the scores up and customers happy. It is a business.

Don Verna

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

I guess I'll be shooting there again next week. The trap was one of the older ones, not a pat-trap. It had a magazine for birds on it, but someone had to stay in the house and fill it. They said it only held enough for one round and it was too much trouble to stop shooting and go fill it. Luckily they have one person who likes doing it. I remember hand-feeding one of these traps back in the day.

Thanks for all the comments and help...

Bruce

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bruce, some days you just shoot terrible. Especially if everyone else is. Maybe it was just your day, that's all. It won't won't be your last, unfortunately; we all have them.

Still, it might be worth while to notice if the angles are wider than about 3-feet in from 1 and 5, and/or if the distance seems long. You can even bring a 150-foot tape measure if you want, and find the thickest concentration of unbroken targets. If there really turns out to be a difference, then it might be fun to explore what you have to do to break them, since, once again, you will see them again sometime and they will be registered then.

Neil

7. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

Capvan: I stopped shooting at one club when they refused to adjust the trap to throw a regulation target. It does not help to practice on poor targets and if they cannot or will not throw good targets, they don't need my money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.