1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to waterfowl hunting

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by BrowningPotato, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato Member

0   0   0

This will be my first "real" year for waterfowl hunting. I have a SBE II coming this week that I bought from a nice gentleman here on TS.com. I am looking to pick up some of the other necessities to get started.

If anyone is getting out of the sport or just has some extra waterfowl gear they would like to get some money out of please let me know.

I would be interested in: Goose/Duck calls, Decoys, Layout blinds, etc.

Please PM me if you have any of the above.

THanks

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato Member

0   0   0

3. bill2

bill2 Member

0   0   0

Browning Potato you have a private message. Bill2

4. redjones

redjones Member

0   0   0

Check on here.

Greg

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

0   0   0

One bit of advice, learn to wear safety glasses.

Years ago I met a couple friends who shot targets at a local club. One was blind in one eye and it turned out he had been hit by a freak pellet ricochet on a canal while they were duck hunting. Both were on the same side of the canal when his friend had fired at a duck! It took a 90 degree rebound from the water. I gradually saw less and less of the one eyed shooter, and didn't see them together very often after a couple years.

My neighbor Goose hunts on leased land on the Eastern Shore. They have an on deck lean-to on the edge of the field for the next shooters who will move to the blind. A wounded goose was in the field and a hunter in the lean-to shot it. (Which was agreed that no hunters would do) A pellet struck a hunter in the goose pit, it broke his front tooth - need more be said?

best, jt

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

0   0   0

If you're new to waterfowling....Get yourself associated with people that have alot of experience and know what they're doing. Not just a bunch of weekend warriors/bunny busters/skybusters and pilgrims.

Also, get ready to shell out some big bucks for a decent hunting location, boat, decoys, dog, etc, etc. if not, you'll have to take your chances on state/federal property....very scary!!

Curt

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

0   0   0

That all depends on where you live. I could hunt a different lake every weekend of hunting season. I have public choices I have been wanting to try for years but haven't had enough weekends. You may or may not need a boat depending on where you hunt. I never use a boat but walk in unless hunting with a friend that wants to use his boat.

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

I hunt the bay in Va and one thing you need to know and obey are all the safety rules. DO NOT TAKE ON MOTHER NATURE, SHE WILL KILL YOU. Keep all you equipment in top shape. I know people who trade in there boat engine's every three years. If that motor gives out your screwed on the water big time. Keep survival gear in the boat. Flares, mirror, matches, compass and so on. Do as grnberetcj said find someone who can teach you the ropes and to be safe. He will be worth more then you will ever know. Duck hunting can be fun and dangerous. There is an old saying "I would rather be in the house wishing I was on the water then on the water wishing I was in the house". Enjoy and be safe.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

0   0   0

You will never find another part of hunting that will give more memories. I can remember the first duck hunt I went on with my Dad and his friends and I never really made it all the way back home. Part of my heart is still on that hunt. Do your self a favor and when you get home and all is put away think about your day and write the who, what ,when, where, how and why of it just for your own to keep and and share when you get old. You will love the hunt for ducks. Good luck and lead em, lead em, lead em. Dan

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

The most important thing to remember is that you will never shoot a duck or goose if all your camo does not match, No mixing Max-4 with Mossy Oak Duckblind with Advantage Wetlands camo. If you can match your gun to your jacket to your boat to your gun case to your floor mats, you get bonus points Then you gotta get a suburban and cover all windows w/ DU stickers, Benelli stickers and decals of your favorite call of the week.

At least that's what the new hotshots all have ever since they went to a DU banquet w/ their lawyer buds and thought that duck huntin' sounded kinda cool with all the new stuff you get to buy.

Oh and one last thing....you have to think Labs stink and are ugly hehehe

Been shooting ducks/geese for nearly 40 yrs....I really have to get better at spotting trends....I could have been the one making a fortune selling all these sports the chit they don't need just so they can think they look cool.

11. bill2

bill2 Member

0   0   0

BP You still have a Private message you have not read. Bill2

12. pdq

pdq Member

0   0   0

Curt's advice is good -- if you're new to waterfowling, buddy up with some experienced hunters. There's a lot more to it than just putting shells in a gun and firing. Learning how weather affects where / how you shoot, lay out your decoys and call are fundamental to waterfowling, and very difficult to do by yourself. Further, how you hunt ducks is different than geese. And within geese, Canadas versus Snows.

Having grown up on the upper end of the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay and waterfowling for 40+ years, the comradarie of hunting is a big part of the overall experience as you will have days where you never pull the trigger, but it's still a great day.

Pete

13. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato Member

0   0   0

Tanda
    Im not sure whether to take that as as insult or not. But obviously since I am looking to buy someone elses used waterfowl gear, I have not attended any DU dinners with lawyer friends. Thanks for the freindly and oh so helpful advice.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

0   0   0

Tanda, you forgot to add the "after hunt" Barbour Waxed Field Coat and green knee high rubber booties with the ever popular flannel lined kahkies.....then the great hunting warrior can walk onto a SC course and pat his buddies on the rear while dressed appropriately.

You know...Men doing manly things and all!!

Curt

15. pdq

pdq Member

0   0   0

Curt:

I've never seen anyone dressed like that. More often they are in full camo so that when they fart, no one can see them.

Pete

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

0   0   0

Good one Pete!!

Just look though an Orvis catalog....plenty of them thar great waterfowler's parading around.

Curt

17. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

0   0   0

Make sure of the following:

(1) When you fall overboard (and you will) make sure you will either float or you can walk out.Wear some wool close to your body it is warm when wet. Don't expect to be able to tough it out once you have fallen in get somewhere warm and dry. Hypothermia sets in quick.

(2) When you get stuck out there because the engine dies, the tide goes out or the weather gets so bad you can't get back in have some way of letting people know where you are and getting help if you need it.

(3)Keep guns unloaded when travelling in the boat. More than one boat has been swamped from a hole shot in it below the waterline.

(4) Every thing is slower when it is cold and slower yet when iced up. It will take you longer to launch boat put out decoys etc than in mild weather. When boats ice up the center of gravity rises and they behave different; make sure you recognize that and don't capsize an iced up boat. Also make sure the boat is big enough for open water and the load you put in it. A 14 ft Jon boat is good for two guys and calm water, a Chincoteague Scow is good for a lot more

(5) Pay the extra money and get boots that don't leak.

(6) Wear foul weather gear pants or something to keep your bottom dry when you sit down.

Have fun it is a great sport

Jim ( 50 years hunting the lower Chesapeake)

18. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

0   0   0

You guys don't just walk over the dam on the tank and shoot the biggest group of birds and then drive to the next tank for more shooting? It's a little more challange with a 30-30, you have to aim for the head. Oh! watch out for rattlesnakes, they like it there too.

AJ (50 years hunting the Big Bend)

19. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

All right tater, guess we razzed you enough between this post and the Bird Dog/Labs Stink thread in the OT category. Just a little duck blind banter. But really, saying you want to be a duck hunter then dissing Labs...ouch! For hardcore, breaking ice...hunt all day in freezing rain or an open field tackle on a still very much alive Canada...type waterfowl hunting, Labs or Chessies only. Leave the rest @ home.

Like redjones said, check the refuge forum or duckhuntingchat.com for calls and other small items. Buying decoys and shipping decoys is kinda like buying hulls here. You are going to pay as much for shipping as for the decoys.

Good deals are to be had locally on craigslist. Or to search multiple CL areas at once use searchtempest.com Search every day and be ready to commit immediately. The good buys are gone in a few hours.

Are you planning on hunting divers or puddle ducks? Very different tactics and gear for each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.