1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Traps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bubba19056, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba19056

Bubba19056 TS Member

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the sport and want to give it a try, but all I have as far as Shotguns are field guns, my question is this: Is a 12ga pump shotgun looked down on at the trapshoot? I know alot of guys who have spent 5g's or more on their guns, and at this point I just dont have that kind of money to invest. Thanks for any information you have to pass on.

~Bubba

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Go out and shoot it, have fun and don't worry about what your gun costs.

Eric

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

To tell you the truth, there will be a few a-holes who look down on your field gun. Pay no attention to them. They are a-holes.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot 870 exspress for the first year I shot trap, won Bronze class summer league 06 won silver class winter league 06. After committing myself to the sport and learning all about different trap guns. Trying as many guns as possible over the year. I ended up with a used browning Citori XT Briely spectrum improved modified choke, adjustable comb. I bought this in jan 07 just in time for my first year ATA. I also came in 2 gold class 2007 summer league. was beat out by 4 birds. Also have a few wins ATA and some yardage gains. Im really coming into that gun now. You do not need to worry about the gun just yet. Learn the game have fun enter a local league. If you can shoot those LOOKED DOWN APON field guns with the best of them. I have only one bad moment of looked down apon. Was at a range that was open to the public that day. I placed my 870 up on the rack next to the p guns k guns beretta ect ect. One individual stated. Whats that P.O.S. doing here. I managed to shoot a 23 to that mans k guns 18. So dont let that crap bother you. Nice guns are nice but if you cant hit $%^& with them they are just good to look at. The switch from field gun to dedicated trap gun sets you back a little but if you take the time to pattern gun, check your chokes you will do just fine. My advice is get a good quality used trap gun. Then find a great stock man and have adjustable comb and recoil pad installed. Also if you listen to anything DO NOT BUY ONE OF THE ENTRY LEVEL SPORTING GUNS, ie spartan,condor,mossberg, In the long run you will be sorry. Also dont go out and spend 5k just to fall into the gang. Check to see how well some of these guys really shoot, you may be surprised. Good luck and have fun

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just enjoy the sport and shoot what you own. The facts are if you enjoy ths sport you'll buy a "trap gun " whne you can afford it. Anyone that lloks down at you for shooting a field gun is a jerk!!! Ignore the morons just as you should.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Trapshooting can and is enjoyed at many levels. In forty-eight years of trapshooting I have not seen one adult trapshooter make fun of anyones' gun. Not seriously that is.

Usually the lady or gentleman just starting out with field equipment see all the fancy trapguns and become a bit overwhelmed by it all. They hear all the strange jargon and start wondering if they're doing something wrong and thinking ther're out-of-place. It's not the experienced shooters that try to make the new shooter unwelcome - that feeling is usually within themselves that they think this.

Shoot your field guns and ask questions. Usually trapshooters will tell you more information than you want to know. If they tell you that your gun is not the most suitable don't take that advice as putting your equipment down. They are just telling you the truth and you'll learn about all that stuff later. If you're meant to be a trapshooter, you too will have your chance to help a newbee very soon.

Welcome to this great, lifetime game. Good luck!

7. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

the first gun i used for trap was a western-field pump (mossberg 500) , used it for 2 years , then up-graded

8. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I entered the game with an 870. 20 inch barrel no less. Most everybody starts out with a field gun. After I really decided that I liked shotgun sports, I bought a well used Citori. Probably the last trap gun I'll ever get. I have yet to go 25 straight with it. I agree with everyone else. Don't worry about what every one else shoots, just have fun. You'll know when it's time to upgrade. Take baby steps when you do. There is a ton of good advise here. Read and learn.

Shawn

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

The first gun I shot trap with was a stoeger uplander SxS, a lot of people looked at me funny, but I didn't care. A field gun is fine to start out with but you will eventually be talked into buying a real trap gun, and when you do buy it you'll wonder why you stuck with the field gun so long.

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Bubba, I started out with my Dad's Rem. Sportsman 58. Kicked like a mule, but I decided I was hooked....deep. Second gun was a trap grade 870. That was about 1973 and I still have that old 870. Don't shoot it much anymore but I just can't bear to get rid of it. I guess I don't know the second part of "buy and sell". Keep shooting what you have to learn the ins and outs of this wonderful sport/affliction/sickness.....you get the picture. Good luck and show 'em what ya got!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

It aint the gun ... its the person behind the gun. Always remember that and you will be just fine.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I suspect a lot of shooters start out with field guns. It is what they have.

Some people will look down at you - ignore them and have fun.

If you get hooked there are a lot of good used guns out there that will get the job done without having to mortgage the house.

Find a mentor if you can. I have met some great shooters who are also good people and it makes the learning curve a lot easier.

Also, a two day clinic with a pro will do more for you than upgrading to a "real" trap gun.

Don

13. Bubba19056

Bubba19056 TS Member

Thanks guys, I feel better about taking the old 12ga out to the shoot. I look forword to hearing any other advice I might need along the way. thanks again.

~Bubba

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Be sure that 12ga is in a $5000 gun case instead of a $10 gun sleeve if you wish to have any respect at all from the other shooters. ;-)))

It aint about the gun or the shooter but what the gun is in and what the shooter drives to the range in. ;-)))

15. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Bubba,

After shooting Trap for 3 months with my field grade 870 pump I am still not convinced that a thousand dollar or more gun will break the targets any better. I have even tried shooting a gun club rental (Daly NRA albeit Field Grade) with the same general scores. However, there are other things to consider like:

1. Field guns shoot flatter - Make sure the gun fits you well, get to know its POI and cover the bird if you need to. Adjustable guns will let you adjust the gun for your shooting style and not the other way around.

2. Semis will throw shells at your squadmates unless you are considerate and install a rubberband/shell catcher.

3. Pumps and Semis are just more work than break open guns in case you are a reloader and want to save hulls.

4. Ask yourself this question - Am I just involved in the sport or am I committed to it. Someone here had a good explanation about the difference between being involved and being committed - The chicken is involved in preparing your breakfast of Bacon and Eggs, but the pig is committed.

In the short time I have been shooting trap at the local range, I haven't had a single person talk trash about my pump. In case someone does I would politely ask them if they are offering to buy me a new one and I believe that will end the conversation.

BTW welcome to the sport.

Thanks

Rohit

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have Trap guns but also have a field 870 that shoots great so I took It to a Registered shoot this year, There was 20 shooters there and probably 15 of them had high dollar trap guns, I shot a 96 and had the 3rd highest score, No I did'nt win but I felt good about beating all those high dollar trap guns. The target does'nt have any idea what the shot came out of so do your part and you'll do Just fine.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most of us guys who own high dollar guns ultimately remember breaking just as many with our 1100's. You may want to put a raised cheek pad on the stock to help with straightaways. More money doesn't always equal more sense!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.