1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matteo, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matteo

Matteo TS Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hey everyone!
    Being new to trap (and this forum, as well), I have a few questions. I apologize in advance for those questions that have come up before- but I couldn't find these addressed in other threads (but then again, my eyes hurt after searching for awhile).
    To my good fortune, I've inherited a rarely used Remington 12 Ga 11-87 that hasn't been fired in 15+ years. I'll be taking it to a gunsmith to learn how to break it down & clean, but I wanted to get some "unbiased" thoughts from some folks who not only have a good deal of experience, but also who aren't trying to sell me anything.
    Regarding loads; is there a preferred go-to brand for someone like myself? (I certainly won't even think about re-loading for some time yet). I'm thinking 2 3/4" shells, 7.5-8 shot, 1 oz loads. Am I correct? Will I have cycling issues if I drop below 1oz loads? How are the Remington, Winchester, or Federal shells I can get at Walmart? Is one better than the other?
    Regarding chokes; is there a benefit to a beginner like myself purchasing external chokes, like the extended (and vented) Kicks type? Which choke should I start out with?
    regarding barrel length; this is going to sound strange, but what points do I use to determine my barrel length? Muzzle to fore-end of ejection port? I measured this to be 26", which seems short. But then again, the older gentleman (friend of the family who passed on)who formerly owned the gun was very slight.
    Sorry for the lengthy post- but I'd appreciate all the guidance I can get.
  2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I would buy a case of whatever is cheapest, which is going to be 1-1/8 at Walmart, head to your local range and start shooting. Upon doing so, you will probably get more advice on what you need that you might want.

If you can get on the pattern board, that is helpful to see where the gun is shooting to.

A stock Remington modified or full will work fine for now, if you get hooked you will probaly buy yourself a dedicated trap gun anyway. There are quite a few people who do very well with a field gun breaking over 90% with a little bit of practice.

Have fun
  3. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Glad to have a new shooter come aboard. I agree with the advice given to you so far. Shooting an auto for trap is fine but you may want to invest in a shellcatcher. You don't want to bounce hulls off of someones expensive trap gun. Have fun and keep us posted on how you are doing. Be warned, this can become addicting.

Rich in Indiana
  4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    "Shooting an auto for trap is fine but you may want to invest in a shellcatcher. "

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I too say get a shellcatcher as well. While your at the store I would get a Briley extended Mod. choke for it as well. The Rem. chokes that come with the gun are very poor. The Walmart 4 packs are fine, cheapest one of the 3 instock are fine. They are l l/8 oz lead with 3 drams of powder at a speed of 1,200 fps will work great. While at the gunsmith for the breakdown and cleaning instuctions see if he has the parts that might help you get your gun to shoot the slower speed shells, only if the recoil of the Walmart 4 packs bothers you and gun will not cycle the loads you like. Best of Luck and have FUN. Break-em all. Jeff
  6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Get the wally world federal 100 round value pack. I think you are measuring your bbl correctly. Try and find a 30 incher. They come up on here a lot and I bought one for 100 bucks. Recoil won't be a real issue with the loads, being your shooting a semi and my 1187 doesn't kick hard at all. The 1187 breaks down real easy and after seeing it once you will have it down. You can go to remington.com and download the owners manual which has tear down instructions as well. Modified choke will be fine and if you have money to spare go ahead and order an improved mod extended. It can't hurt..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.