1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mouldman1, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mouldman1

mouldman1 TS Member

New to trap shooting and firearms....i was looking for a place were i could read up on definitions of terminology on trap and firearms.....such as what is the difference in using different weight shot etc.
    Shot trap a few months ago and have been hooked ever since!!!
    I'm thinking of purchasing an XT Trap...........

David

2. shooterguy

shooterguy TS Member

Run while you still can. Get away!!! Trapshooting is one of the most insideous diseases ever to infect man. It is more addicting the crack. Your life will not be your own after it gets its hooks into you. It will take away from your family, you will start slinking around and making excuses to your wife as to where you are. You will come home smelling of gun powder and gun oil. You will start to let your work slide thinking about the merits of 8's versus 7 1/2's. Your year will start September 1st and end in August. Instead of holidays, you will start thinking of target counts and registered shoots. When asked how long you have been married, you will answer something like 22 yards. Your weight will be measures in dram equilivents.

All kidding aside, you could do worse. You will meet some very nice people and visit some new places. Just remember. It's not life or death. It' MORE!!!!

Fred

3. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Start off right - don't buy a trap gun until you try a few out first. Ask some of the guys if you can shoot a round with their gun. If thats not possible find a used BT99 for under $800 you can always get most of your money back out of it if you want to buy an XT @ $2000+ later.

4. cortopar

cortopar Member

David,

I've been around this sport for over 20 years, which is a third as long as some folks here! :) There's always something new to learn, though many don't admit that.

Remington has a pretty nice "Trap Shooting Fundamentals" brochure you can download from their web site: http://www.remington.com/pdfs/trap_fundamentals_2004.pdf

Shot is a pretty simplistic thing, really. As the size designator goes down, the number of pellets in the same weight goes down, and hence... each pellet size increases. #7 shot is larger than #8 which is larger than #9, etc.

In trap, most guys shoot 7, 7 1/2 or 8 shot in either 1oz or 1 1/8 oz loads.

As you might expect, more powder in a shell using the same overall length and shot size will generally increase the speed. That being the case, most folks will shoot 2 3/4 dram loads for singles and 3 dram loads for handicap.

As to guns, don't believe everything you see on the trap field. The $18,000 Kolar doesn't break targets any more than the $300 Mossberg pump. Finding a gun that fits you comfortably and shoots where you look is more important than AAA grade figured wood, and fancy engraving.

The XT is a nice gun. You can also do well with a used 870 Trap, 1100 Trap, Browning or Beretta Trap autos or O/U, etc. For a first gun, there's really no need to spend more than $700 or so, and certainly not more than $1200. Once you're out shooting consistently, you'll have lots of opportunities to shoot other people's guns and decide what you really want.

Trap shooters are like golfers... every time they hit a plateau or see another guy with the latest whizbang driver (err... Perazzi) they run out and buy it thinking it will improve their score. The best places to spend money increasing your score are: gun fitting, targets, shells, training, shells, targets not necessarily in that order.

Hope this helps some.

Best,
    Bob

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't get married. Don't have kids. Do get a high paying job, Sell your boat, motorcycle, sports car, and stop having any other kind of hobby. Trap Shooting is a life time endevor, and not for the faint hearted, poor man, or one who is easly frustrated. After 30 years of shooting you'll still be trying to figure out which gun to use, how to load a perfect shell, why you missed a hard right, hard left, straight away, or quarter angle. Then in the end you'll ask yourself was it all worth the effort? Perhaps, I still do it and so will you, if you've got the ability to never, never, never give up!!!!

6. mouldman1

mouldman1 TS Member

You guys are a BLAST!!!!!
    Funny thing is, I was just out shooting!!! Shot a 20 my first round and a 19 the second!!! I guess not too bad for someone that has very little experience (i think this was my 5th time out!) I managed to pick up a used cherry (aren't they always in the "best" condition :))XT Trap for $1,300.00 - so we will see how that goes.

I am married, have kids, and did sell the motorcycle a while ago!

Looking forward to hanging with you guys on this site.

David

7. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

learning curve never stops,after 40yrs and to many trapguns to count i am still looking for the right gun. good luck, don't worry about the scores just have fun!!

8. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

David,welcome to the sport.

We need more people like you.

Good luck

Bo

9. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Welcome to trapshooting and ts.com. It is truly a life long sport. John

10. southpark

southpark TS Member

Here's some good advice: double check everything you hear and don't believe everything you read around here.

Even well intentioned people make mistakes.

For example, someone above said that number 7 size shot was amongst the most popular amongst trapshooters.

Actually, there is a word that folks use to categorize trapshooters who use number 7 size shot. We call them cheaters. The ATA would disqualify you at an event--or worse. And most clubs won't allow 7 shot either.

Here is the official rule book of the Amature Trapshooting Association.
    http://www.shootata.com/pdfs/rule_book.pdf

It is a good and easy read and will help you from looking and acting like a jerk while trying to shoot.

Speaking of that, there are a lot of jerks around this site. Even those who may be able to provide good helpful information can be wiseacres at times. Myself included.

The ATA also has a magazine called Trap and Field. http://www.trapandfield.com/

I'm not sure what, if anything, it has to do with field guns or field shooting, but it has a lot of tips about trapshooting, clubs where you can shoot, teachers to get lessons, and guns and do-dads to buy.

Since you are new to firearms too, know this: the main difference to the novice between trap guns and other guns is price (trap guns cost a whole lot more).

Trap guns are also designed to handle and shoot differently than shotguns designed to shoot birds. They are also -- USUALLY -- built to withstand a lot more shooting.

They can also kill and maim pretty easily so if you didn't grow up shooting (though this would also help many who did) consider taking a hunter safety course to learn gun handling safety. Check with your local department of fish and game office or sporting goods store (that actually sells guns).

Poor gun handling is an easy way to be treated like a lepper at a trap club and will take away a lot of the fun for you.

Why don't you tell us where you live (city, state) so we can collectively think of someone in your area that would be a good mentor for you and a good local trap club. Even your best buddies, and almost always the biggest mouth at the trap club usually turn out to be the worst and giving good advice. If one is not readily available, consider driving to a clinic offered by someone like Leo Harrison or Harlan Cambell. They will get you on the path of learning good fundamentals.

Trapshooting is partly a game of muscle memory like golf, so good fundamentals are essential. Also like golf, it is a game of coordination and TOTAL concentration.

If you are of modest means, consider a used BT-99 sugested above, or a Beretta autoloading trapgun (with knockdown pin welded on so you don't whack the gun of the guy next to you with your ejected shells). If you are of moderate means, consider a used Beretta 682. These guns are not necessarily the "best" (an elusive term in trapshooting guns), but are readily bought and sold and you will be out little more than tax, if any, FFL and state transfer fees (assuming you get some advice about what is a fair price).

Truth be told, however, at the serious levels, trap is not well suited for the faint of wallet.

The price goes up from there.

Money spent on a custom made stock (for FITMENT, not fancy looks), even at the beginning of your trapshooting career, is money much better spent than paying for a name like Perazzi, Seitz, etc.

If, however, you are a man of means and don't do anything half way, many top of the line gun makers sellling guns in the $10,000+ range offer custom stock fitting inclusive of the price. You will, however, have to travel to where the fitter is.

If you have questions you rather not post here, you can email me at fatXXXerikcartman@yahoo.com (remove the "XXX"). I am not the best trapshooter in the world but what I know I've verified with some of the best, and what I don't know I'll admit.

Good luck, and whatever your economic situation, there is a lifetime of enjoyment and cameraderie available through this sport.

Welcome.

Southpark

11. mouldman1

mouldman1 TS Member

Great Advise Southpark, Thanks.

I am located on Long Island, NY (Suffolk County) and have been shooting out @ Yaphank. Great bunch of guys out there and really helpful. I shot a few guns before I decided on the XT Trap. It's working for me so why not.
    I need to read up on all the different terminology i.e. what is size 7 shot, etc. Not having any gun experience this is all new to me. Fortunately (for others around me) I am 32...I know not old but long past my "wild" days. To be honest, guns frighten me slightly so safety for me is paramount. I do need to have the stock fitted as I am 6'4" and as you can imagine it's just not fitting right.

Tanks for the info I will check out the sites you recommended.

BTW...are you local to me?

David

12. cortopar

cortopar Member

Southpark,

Thanks for catching that. That should have been 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2 not 7 as you noted.

That's what I get for typing too fast, and not proof-reading.

Best,
    Bob

13. southpark

southpark TS Member

I knew it was just a typo Bob, and didn't mean to pick on 'ya. I could just imagine him showing up at a gun club telling everyone he heard on the internet that he needs number 7 shot!

David, I'm on the left coast I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone will step up from your neck of the woods.

Also, check out http://www.fieldandclays.com/Home.htm and scroll down to "expert advice" and read what Frank Hoppe and Richard Marshall have to say.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.