1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Trap Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ghostryder65, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostryder65

ghostryder65 TS Member

I'm new to trap shooting and have access to a range where I can go and pickup used wads and shells for reloading, anyone have a good load for used wads? if so what would it be?

I'm looking at dropping about 25 grains of Red Dot and a cci 209 primer with a ounce of 7 1/2's think that might be a good load for a beginner?

I also bought one of them K-80's to shoot, what a fine weapon it is.

2. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Naturally -- this is a facetious post, and should not be taken seriously......

However -- do either of you think it prudent to even be suggesting such lunacy ?

Alliant Powder Company recommends a MAXIMUM charge weight of 20 Grains of Red Dot powder with a CCI primer, and that load produces a p.s.i. of 10,300 - getting toward the "upper end" in that category.

We all like to have fun here, and I would be the last one to lambast another shooter, HOWEVER........think of the true novice who may view this forum and actually put their faith - and ultimately their personal safety, in following the advice of the "experts" who give advice here.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

K80433SC

"think of the true novice who may view this forum and actually put their faith - and ultimately their personal safety, in following the advice of the "experts" who give advice here."

One more reason that free advice should not be given all reloading questions should be referred to the appropriate reloading website and only book(published) loads should be used no granddaddy's favorite.

Bob Lawless

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

25 grains is a heavy load and will probably put your feet per second on the shot over 1325. That's too much. Also 35 grains could blow up your gun. That advice is not professional. Don't take it. A 20 grain load with 1 and an eighth oz of shot will be a good load for a beginner. 18 and a half or 19 is better yet. Try them and settle for the most consistent of those three. Do not ever put 35 grains in a shotgun load. Dan

5. jhoward

jhoward Member

Wow...a hook that obvious and he still got bites...

6. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Of course - it was obviously a hook ! But - as I mentioned - even fooling around with such a potentially dangerous activity as reloading recipes is hardly prudent. That is irresponsible and (sorry if I am blunt about it) ..... STUPID.

A part of our responsibilty here is to educate the newer participants to this game. What if a total rookie actually tried to replicate the aforementioned load ? THINK about it....................

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

gee- lets think about this? new shooter -reloading - used wads- special formula
    and buys a k-80. wud a nascar driver( refering to k80)stop and buy cheap gas to just start racing, even if he wasnt thinking of winning????

8. dave391

dave391 TS Member

You don't have any control over who reads the load info or how naive they are.
    enough said.

9. 3357

3357 Member

If you reload used wads you must use once fired powder.

10. ghostryder65

ghostryder65 TS Member

Like I said I'm new to this game and found out after buying the K-80 money was going to be scares for awhile so I figured out if I was to use some used wads and shells I could cut down on my shooting expenses until I got my bank roil built back up.

I was out to my local club yesterday and I seen all of these empty and wads laying around and I ask the range master if I could pick them up after the shoot, he ask what my plan was I said to cut down on the reloading expense he walked away laughing now I know why.

I'm going to give it a try anyway I will cut back on my charge to 15 grains and then build up from there. To bad the lead was not magnetic I could go out with a big magnetic and get all the shot I need and the only thing I would need to buy is powder and primers.

11. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I'm not one to accuse a poster of trolling...but come on. A guy picking up used wads for reloading, which some people say is inherently dangerous (just what I've seen others say, don't know if it's true or not) and saying that he's going to be shooting them through a K-80. A gun that obviously has a couple of problems to be worked out, and that we've been arguing over for the past month. Set the hook...

12. ivanhoe

Case scenario Mr. Newbee(???????)asks about loading 25 grains of RED DOT with used wads in a $10,000 plus gun. A gun that I might add has a history of being a explosion controversy.

What is the best way to handle this scenario? My opinion when the thread leaves the board it should have one post on it. His

JMO, Don't feed the trolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

13. ghostryder65

ghostryder65 TS Member

Ivanho you telling me I paid over $10,000.00 smackers for this K-80 that could possibly blow up on me, Is this thing made by the Chi-Coms?

I was looking forward to trying one of my re-load using recycled wads and shells, maybe I should have this K-80 checked out for possible flaws.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

GR. you are a doofuss, aand I am out of here

15. ivanhoe

ghostryder65

"Ivanho you telling me I paid over $10,000.00 smackers for this K-80 that could possibly blow up on me, Is this thing made by the Chi-Coms?"

Let me ask you a question you came in here and made this statement.

"I'm looking at dropping about 25 grains of Red Dot and a cci 209 primer with a ounce of 7 1/2's think that might be a good load for a beginner?"

Where did you get this knowledge of gun powder(Red Dot)and Primers(CCI 209's)
    and the weight and size of the shot(a ounce of 7 1/2's)? If you came up with the figure 25 grains why not 30 or 50 or 10 why 25? Why did you ask what powder, primers to use?

BTW if I could had a $10,000 plus gun I sure as hell wouldn't put retread wads through it. The gun I own now didn't cost any where near that kind of money I will never put reused junk wads through it.

Bob Lawless

16. ghostryder65

ghostryder65 TS Member

"GR. you are a doofuss, and I am out of here"
    Why did you say that? I ask a simple question being new to trap shooting and wanting to save some cash after dropping all I had into a new gun. I see nothing wrong with the once shot wads they look fine to me and I believe I could at least get a couple or 3 loads out of the same wad.

What kind of re-loader do you folks recommend?

17. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Usually a troll this scary is afraid to come out from under the bridge to set the hook!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.