1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new to trap shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hunter2, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter2

hunter2 TS Member

HI, i'm new to the forum and trap. I have a 870 remington wing master.
    Gun was prchased in the 80's, walnut stock,28" vent rib, 2bbls.
    One in fixed sceet, the other, the one i'm thinking of using is
    a fixed full chock. Would thi be a good gun for trap.If so what
    modifacations would i need to do to it.870 is like new condition.
    Steve

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

hunter2; Trapshooting is generally shot with a full or Imp. modified chokes. The majority of the mantra you'll get here or at the range is that you'll need a trap gun, one designed to shoot a bit high to assist in taking rising birds from the trap house. However, it's been my observation that a hunter who knows his gun really well can shoot trap quite well with a field gun like yours. An old saw in the game is, "beware of the fellow that shows up with his taped together, beat up old field gun, dressed in bib overalls and with cow patties hanging from his rubber boots cuz while you're laughing at him, he'll outscore you as often as not."

So my point is your Wingmaster is a nearly bullet proof gun, the fixed full choke is just fine, and if you know your gun really well, you can shoot trap recreationally right up until you feel obligated to test drive some trap guns and gear to see if this is in your future. Even then you could make modifications to the ol' Remington and turn it into a 870 Wingmaster trap gun with a trap stock or adjustable comb and maybe a longer barrel...breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That's where I started...just look at me now. ;-)

The 870 is an excellent starter gun. It'll let you find out if you have the aptitude and the money for the sport. Eventually you'll either move along to another hobby or want a better shotgun. The "better shotgun" route will be the best time of your life but you won't realize it until it's about over.

Welcome to trapshooting and the best of luck to ya.

4. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

the 870 is a good finishing gun to. the bone

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Welcome Steve: I've been thru 4 guns in 10 years. Lots of learning and it hasn't ended. Pattern your gun. Read magazines, books and watch videos. Rollins Book on Gun fit/Stock Fitting is great. Shoot Straight. Enjoy. Dave T.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Welcome Steve!! Your 870 is way more capable of breaking more birds than anyone here. The only thing I'd add is maybe a little more weight and a trap stock fitted to you. Then, do your best trying to wear it out breaking clays! Good luck guy. Hap

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My field 870 exspress with mod choke got me into this game. Shot verywell with it. Won several leauge shoots with it. Once you know you are hooked and would like a different gun or modify what you have go with it. I shot for 1 year then took almost another to save decide and buy a new gun...now another year has past. I may buy another gun,,,maybe a combo.hmmmmm or just save that 4k for shooting. I would read up on pattern your gun. Also rollins book as posted above. You have a fixed choke, at least you wont be playing the switch choke shuffle. Do a search here for Neil Winstons POI and pattern thread. Helped me out a lot.

8. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

One word of advice, be careful who you take advice from here. With that said there are many here who give out VERY good advice. Bob Dodd is just one of these generous people...

Oh, and use light loads with that gun, heavy loads are not needed and recoil can catch up with you over years of shooting. Good luck! cls

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Good point Charles, I started shooting what ever. then I started shooting 1145fps gun clubs for 16y. pretty much what I shoot for everything right now 1145 estates I like to.

10. grouper

grouper TS Member

Steve,

I've been trapshooting for about a year with my 870 Express. I've found I do better with the full choke.

Grouper

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Good point from cls - DO find nice soft shootin' loads. If you start loading your own, know that I shoot just 7/8 oz of #9s at the 16 yard line and they've provided me with a number of 100 straights up close. If you'll be buying shells, look for light 1 ounce shells. Either will demolish 16 yard birds and that's the place to start and see if you want to do this or not. Don't be afraid to seek help from guys at the club if there's any questions and that's the best way to learn the manners and rules typical at trap clubs. Think safety in every move you make. Enjoy associating with some of the best folks in this land....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.