1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to trap shooting. Simple question on safety

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Engineeringtech, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech TS Member

New to trap shooting, and have a question about singles trap. Is it allowed (with permission) to chamber two rounds and only fire one, reserving the other for the next shot? I understand that for safety sake I should never change position with a live shell in the gun, and I also understand that I should keep my gun pointed downrange. I'm just asking if this is permissible as long as I take the shell out and open the action before I move.

Reason I am asking this? For one, my O/U is getting quite worn from years of skeet. I'd like to reduce the number of open / close cycles on the gun. I also don't like repeatedly firing from only one barrel. Barrels don't heat evenly and I would imagine that would affect accuracy. I know some people say you should always fire your single from the lower barrel of an O/U, but it does not seem to make a difference for me.

Thanks for listening.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

No, it is not allowed.

You're shooting a shotgun, not a rifle. The accuracy of a shot group caused by the change in barrel temps would be minimal.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Here's the rule:

"A contestant shall place a live shell in his/her gun only when on a
    post facing the traps. In Singles and Handicap shooting he/she may
    place only one (1) live shell in his/her gun at a time and must remove it
    or the empty shell(s) before moving from one post to another."

4. Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech TS Member

Thanks. Ok please explain to me what you mean by "on a post facing the traps".

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

A post is one of the five shooting positions, facing the trap is where the birds are coming out of. The main reason for loading only one round is to keep people from walking off of a station with a live round in their shotgun.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Based on what you stated in your post I wonder why your asking? Safety mandates not moving with a loaded gun. Secondly it is in singles just that singles. It just isn't safe!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You will never reach your full potential firimg 2 different guns in one round.

Yes, 2 different guns. the differences are miniscule but noticeable to some. For one thing I would imagine you have 2 different chokes. Recoil sensation is another.

The 2 pipers I have do not shoot the same from both barrels.

Finally, it is customary to close your gun when the 2nd shooter to your left fires, or after the shooter to your left fires.

Since you are new to trap shooting why don't you follow the lead of the more experienced for a couple years?

HM

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

One shell in the gun on Singles and Handicap and you have to put 2 in for Doubles just like in Skeet . This is a question you shouldn`t have to ask ????? I`ve seen new shooters start to put 5 shells in their auto or pump guns before starting until we told them the rules . Their reason is they have to shoot the 5 from each station !!!!

9. Garry

Garry Active Member

Here's the rule:

"A contestant shall place a live shell in his/her gun only when on a post facing the traps. In Singles and Handicap shooting he/she may place only one (1) live shell in his/her gun at a time and must remove it or the empty shell(s) before moving from one post to another."

This is a confusing rule - "---must remove it or the empty shell(s) before moving from one post to another. Why shell(s) which implies more than one?

10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm 99.9999999% sure the (s) is a typo. It's probably something they cut and paste in both the singles and doubles section.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's because doubles is shot with two shells, Garry.

Neil

12. Garry

Garry Active Member

Neil,

The rule that Rich219 posted states for singles and handicap.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

that'll get you kicked out of a lot of gun clubs!

14. capvan

capvan Active Member

You would not be allowed to shoot at our club. Period.

Sounds like you need a new gun...

Bruce

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Engineeringtech

The logic behind the rule is to reduce/eliminate the number of locked and loaded guns on the line. There can be ocassional stoppages during a round due to trap problems, shooter equipment failure, broken targets, wildlife encroachment, power failures, rule infraction questions, scoring questions, etc. When these things occur, you should have as few people gawking around with loaded guns as possible.

Maybe a dedicated trap gun is the answer. What is your barrel length?

Good luck.

16. trapster100

trapster100 Member

I suppose one could keep an empty shell in the other barrel while shooting. It states 1 "live" round loaded at a time. Then both empties must be removed while changing posts.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

....."on a post facing the traps"? I assume that means you shouldn't turn around and face to the rear with a live shell in your gun, meant to keep the loaded guns pointed downrange?

John C. Saubak

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Garry

"The rule that Rich219 posted states for singles and handicap."

That would be correct the problem is Rich didn't post the entire rule just part of it.

"12. A contestant shall place a live shell in his/her gun only when on a
    post facing the traps. In Singles and Handicap shooting he/she may
    place only one (1) live shell in his/her gun at a time and must remove it
    or the empty shell(s) before moving from one post to another. In Doubles
    shooting he/she may place two (2) live shells in his/her gun at a time
    and must remove both live or empty shells before moving from one (1)
    post to another. In changing from one (1) post to another, the shooter
    shall not walk in front of the other competitors"

The entire rule includes doubles and as trapster100 said if you keep an empty shell in the other barrel. When you change posts you have to remove both shell(s)from the gun.

Bob Lawless

19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Ivan, let's not forget that the entire thread was based on singles trap according to the OP. That's why I only posted the part relating to singles.

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's the explanation, Rich219. Sometimes when I shoot my O/U for singles, I put an empty shell in the barrel I'm not planning to use just to make sure I don't load the wrong one. When it's post-change time, I take them both out and reinsert the fired shell in the proper barrel when I get ready to shoot on the next post. The rule ensures that I move with an empty gun, which wouldn't necessarily be true if it used the singular number. So it's not a typo. It is correctly written.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.