1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Trap Shooting, shot size, and weights?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CLP101, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I just started trap shooting at my local sportsman's club and am hooked. I picked up a MEC grabber and already have a 600 jr w/ adj. charge bar. I have been using different loads from 7/8 to 1 1/8 and have settled on 1 oz. of 8.5 shot. Does anyone out there have a similar load? I have bottles of 700x, WSF, Longshot, and Int'l Clays. The Int'l clays loads seem to be working well with a #30 bushing dropping 19.1grs. using Fed. 209A primers and WAA12 wads with 1 1/8 oz. I want to go to 1 oz. to stretch my bags of shot a little farther.

I am shooting my old Winchester 101 Field gun with fixed 28" Mod. BBLS. I dont' have the money to buy a dedicated trap gun, so this will have to do for now. I broke 23, 20, 18, and 20 today, so I think I'm on the right track. And the 18 was with my SKB 20ga. XL900 shooting winchester unversal 7 1/2's.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good luck. I use essentially the exact same load EE uses for singles, except I substitutee a Downrange XL-1 wad.

I also echo what EE said aboutusing a scale and checking your charge weights. Very important.

Some folks like 700x for that load. I've never tried it so I can't say.

If you stick with it, you'll eventually want a dedicated trap gun. For now, shoot that field 101 until you feel the need to step up.

Keep your head on the stock and your eyes on the rock!

3. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Thanks for the info. Winchester primers are impossible to find in my local shops. One shop had them for $35 a box while Federal 209a's were $28 and CCI's were $31 so I bought the Federals and already had a box of CCI and some old Rem *97's. I've been relaoding Shotshells since I could walk so I do have scales and check weights every time I change anything and periodically.

Thanks again

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Another trolling expedition! your a novice please contact Tron for instructions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.