1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Trap... Looking for Gun Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KRDM, Sep 9, 2013.

1. KRDM

KRDM TS Member

Howdy... I'm new to trap/skeet and new to the forums. I'm looking for some advice based on research and knowledge from my father in law (who is an experienced trap/skeet shooter).

The biggest decision I need help with is the gun. Going with the mantra "the more information the better"...

This will be my first trap gun and something I plan to use for fun. If I decide to go into competition I will upgrade/replace it. Therefore, my budget is $900... the more under the better. If I can find a gun in that price range that will take me into competition, even better.

I am 6'2" and ~300lbs so I'm a big guy. I measured LoP by using the crude method of elbow crook to 1st knuckle on trigger finger. That came out to just under 15". I am most interested in trap, but don't want to limit myself by just getting a single shot. I'd like a 30"+ barrel, removable chokes, monte carlo stock (nice to have), and a recoil pad. I have the ability to cut a stock and/or put on an aftermarket pad if needed. I find it fun to clean my guns so a semi-auto does not scare me. I also do not mind the idea of using a pump for skeet. I do plan to reload and am looking for a 366 in good condition (if anyone knows of one).

I am open to used or new. I'm sure it's blasphemy on this forum, but I am also open to getting a lesser quality gun knowing I'm just using it to get used to the sport. If I get serious I will upgrade. I live in a small town, but have access to larger cities if everyone says to "just go look at local pawn shops".

I just got my wife a 1966 1100 in nice condition at one of the local pawn shops for $250. I was happy with that deal. It's a good gun, but I'm looking for something a little more specialized for myself.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/ideas.

2. 548

548 Guest

Do what most of us did, find the nicest used Browning over and under you can find. The "Special Trap" circa late 90's is a nice gun.

3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

You can find a decent used Browning BT-99 for around $900. Great first guns!!!!

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

What ever you end up buying, get it properly fitted to shoot where you look.

5. digdug13

digdug13 Member

if you want to shoot both trap and skeet buy a browning O/U or a Remington 1100. The 1100 is a great entry level skeet gun. i will also smoke trap targets. Whatever you buy make sure it fits you.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get yourself a Rem 1100 or 1187 trap gun and use it for a year or two. THEN start looking at better guns. You'll save money in the long run because better guns are a lot more expensive. And you can either use the 1100/1187 as a backup gun or sell it, probably for what you paid.

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

A Remington 1100 with 30 and 26 inch barrels might be just the gun for you for both trap and skeet. An adjustable comb would make it even better. And all these could be just around your budget. JM

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Depends what you want to spend. If you are only doing Singles a BT-99 will do fine.( used ones run around 700 to 900) depending on condition. New ones run about 1300. If you want the doubles then you can find a good used Browning Citori for less than a Grand. If you are on a tighter budget then get a remington 1100. Since you are a skeet shooter I know you are more than familiar with them. As mentioned above if you get an extra barrel you can do both trap and skeet. Also nothing wrong with a good used remington 870 Trap Gun. You can Go higher and get what you want. I would say, don't blow a ton of money at first. Shoot the game awhile and settle down to a gun you really want. Glad your in the game. Best of Luck!

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Since a pump does not scare you, please look at a Browning BPS Trap. Be sure you are looking at the one with the single shell option switch. (This will make loading much easier for trap.)

These guns are built like tanks! Due to choke tubes you can use them for trap, skeet or sporting clays. Price is under $700 for a new one, less for used.

Martinpicker

10. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I also have a BPS Trap. And they are very good guns too. Well worth the money.

11. warren

warren Member

Whatever you do don't buy a semi-auto and not get a shell catcher the shooter next to you will hate you.

warren

12. rick55

rick55 TS Member

let me tell you what will happen it happens to everybody you will buy a 1100 870 or bt99 when you get to shooting it good you will buy a $1o,ooo gun and spend $50,000 trying to get it to shoot like the first gun

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled into getting a single barrel gun. Auto, O/U w/ factory screw-ins either be fine cuz you'll be tired of trap and wanting to shoot sporting after a few mo anyway and it'll save you buying another gun

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The old 1100 won more tournaments than any of the above mentioned other guns can ever dream about. Find a straight trap stocked older Trap model, add a Skeet barrel and you're on your way!!

15. KRDM

KRDM TS Member

Thank you everyone for all of the great suggestions! I've decided to go with the 1100/1187 suggestions for a number of reason (not the least of which expense).

Thanks again!

16. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

A few dollars more than you are looking to spend but well worth it. New with a Jack West stock for added adjust ability. If I was in the market, I would have one.

17. warren

warren Member

Don't forget the shell catcher.

warren

18. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Dawg has it right!!

Clyde

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Warren said!

20. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

BT 99 or Winchester Model 12. Both guns fit more guys than not. Figure out how you shoot before deciding. Different poi on these two models. Do you float it, cover it? The BT will could/should have screw in chokes. Suggest getting one after 92' as thats about when they started back boring them. Improved felt recoil. The Model 12 probably will be a 30" full, dont mess with it. It comes ready to smoke birds as it.