1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Trap and Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Got into trap in Sept.09,,reading info on reloading while waiting for reloader to get tuned.My question is,can you reload Winchester Universal shells. Bought several boxes while waiting for Reloader to get done.Info I find refers to Winchester AA,,or Winchester compression shells,,nothing refers to the Universal shells. Seems to me,if the remington club targets can be reloaded,so should the Universals by Winchester.

Thanks
    Doug H.

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I have loaded one time and then tossed. I load with same components as I do AA hulls. Crimp isn't as nice. Not my favorite hull but they do reload.

Regards

W&W

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Buy Gun Clubs.

Universals can be reloaded, but crimp poorly the first time, and only get worse. For the little additional money the GC will load so much nicer that you will wonder why you went through the trouble of loading universal.

Tip: If you don't see 8 points showing on the universal hull, toss them before you even think about relaoding, the ones with a bad fold after firing will always be cut open for salvage after you reload them.

AND you still have the base wad detachment possibility not encounterend with Remington.

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

All the Remington shells reload the best I have loaded 5000 shells in the past year, Rems are best, Win AA next then Fed topguns and Estates. The rest of the cheapies seem to either bulge the cases or crimps suck. I have gotten multiple loads from Rems before haveing to disguard them.

Jerry

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

Doug H. you can reload any shotshell you want to reload. But some shells are better than others. Also, some shotshell can cause a lot of problems when you reload and shoot them. Some of the cheap shell cases will separate the brass head from the plastic tubing. Some of the cheapies have a cardboard base wad which can separate and cause problems. My best advise to you is to buy good shells (my preference Rem STS or Rem Nitro 27) for reloading. Tom

6. willing

willing Member

I have reloaded the Win Universal right along with my gun Clubs,STS and Nitros. They came out fine. Throw away after 1 or 2 times.

Bill

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I usually load aa's but for some reason, and I dont know why, maybe its to break the monotney I usually throw a few 6 crimp win, univ's, they have always done fine, I wouldnt shoot them in a auto because of the possible base wad seperation..

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

AA us to be a good hull but there are so many diff models that its hard to say which is good and which is bad. There are alot of them that are bad. Shoot once and drop.

I use Remington STS hulls. They have been good to me and I have stayed with them for years. I reload with 700X for a 17. to 17.5 grains of powder. Claybuster 1 oz wads CCI primers. That gives me about 1150 FPS load.

Keep it simple and keep it easy. Use compo that you can get without to much trouble.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If you only bought a few boxes don't sweat it. Shoot them and forget about them. I've reloaded for many years and have only stuck with old style AA's and Remington STS's (STS, Nitro, Premiers). I have reloaded a few thousand Gun Clubs and recommend them if you don't feel like getting into the initial expense of STS's. But you could buy the STS hulls once fired. That's what I'd do. Do yourself a favor and stick with something that will last and as another poster said get reliable components that you can get easily.

I think in the beguinning of reloading you might possibly try alittle of this and alittle of that, when getting your feet wet. But, you'll settle into something that you'll like, much like most reloaders. You'll give the advise you are getting today to someone else some day when they start reloading.

I was lucky to be around people who reloaded while I was growing up. I never had to suffer or go through a learning curve on components. I'm by no means a reloading expert, just never ran into issues with my reloads or components that I'm using.

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks,I'll do what's recommened,shoot universals then chuck them,reload gun clubs.Freind who got me into this trap shooting uses sts hulls,and has been a big help tuning loader and guiding me in my Trap shooting.
    Thanks again

Doug H.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you chose to reload go by the powder manufactures reloading book. Also be sure to weigh the powder loads. I check powder weights every 50 to 100 shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.