1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new to this,"BUNKER TRAP" what is it??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ubernut, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubernut

ubernut TS Member

new to this,

what is it?

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

new to this,

Bunker Trap is Olympic Trap. Its a lot tougher than ATA. It consists of 15 traps in 5 groups of 3 traps. The angles are wider and there are differing elevations and the targets do vary in speed. They are thrown 76 meters vrs 50 yards in ATA.

There is a series of articles by Les Greevy on the Shotgun Report website that should answer a lot of your questions. Here is the website:

http://shotgunreport.com/Olympic/OlympicIndex.html

Where are you located? Might be able to direct you to a bunker...

Tom

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

new to this,

As long as this thread is up,,i'm curious as to where the closest bunker would be to me, i'm in western NY (Rochester). I'm not aware of any bunkers even in my state, maybe i've missed one though. Sure would like to try it.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

new to this,

Try the URL above Skeeter....2 at low 8....Bob Dodd

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

new to this,

Most folks who shoot this game well are athletes. Proper form is cardinal. It is VERY ADDICTIVE.

I am extremely addicted to this most delightful of shooting sports.

http://www.collynloper.com/images/trapshoot.pdf

http://members.tripod.com/~gentryrj/otrap.html

6. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

new to this,

You mean "sitting on the 17".....

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

new to this,

A clean round in trap (25 straight) is a relatively common occurence and most trapshooters can accomplish the task. During registered shoots if you don't shoot clean you're chances of winning in American Trap diminish quickly. Pretty much B class and above if you don't run 'em you're out.

Consider international trap.

I tabulated the scores from the last 3 National events, the National Championship, the Fall Selection and the Spring Selection and for the 2,613 rounds there was only 152 clean rounds or 5.8%.

To have an average of 90%+ puts you in the upper echelon of the National rankings.

Bunker is very, very difficult.

8. redix

redix TS Member

new to this,

It's Trap's equivalent of NBA level basketball versus ATA's not quite NCAA level.

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

new to this,

See www.shootingbunker.com. Might answer some of your questions.

- - Bill

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

new to this,

Skeet Man:

The nearest bunker is near Allentown PA. There are no bunkers in New York.

TB

11. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

new to this,

Minneapolis gun club had one, or a variation of it. I dont know if its still there but it was a ball to shoot.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

new to this,

A waste of time. Very few bunkers around and not many shooters. Plus the awards are nothing and there is no money in the game. However, bunker will make you a better all around shooter.

13. Questor

Questor TS Member

new to this,

I was reading about it and learned that construction and equipment costs for setting up bunker trap are six to nine times the cost of setting up for American trap. That's probably why we don't see much of it in the US, where trap shooting is widely practiced by ordinary people and not just by the wealthy.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

new to this,

Heck, and all this time I thought it had something to do with Archie's mouth!

Morgan

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

new to this,

What it is is FUN!

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

new to this,

Perazzi Big Bore...

I really like your description of a bunker shooter.... I agree bunker is the big leagues just wish we could get some money in it in this country. In the UK they have the British Grand Prix. It used to be called the Rolex. Thats when Rolex gave watches for Class wins. Its now called the Perazzi. Don't know how far down they give Perazzi's away but would like to go and find out. The prizes are in ADDITION to a lot of money. Only one American has ever won it... Wink Halcolmb. He told me he came home with plenty of money in his pocket. Probably better than a shooter that I know who one one of the events at the Grand only to receive a empty Gun Case.

Bunker is the king of all the clay target sports. Wish there were more of them in this country.

TB

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

new to this,

TB- Thanks for the info, i'll have to remember that next time i'm down in PA.

18. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

new to this,

This is an excellent reference and some good pictures to get a visual too. Thanks for posting that link Bill. I had not seen it before. I look forward to further installments and updates to the site.

The site author makes an interesting reference to Wobble trap as being a useful training adjunct. USA Shooting now permits clubs with Wobble traps to host a Junior Olympic event which I think is a great way to get more kids interested in games other than american trap but you need to be careful - if you have never shot a bunker before and your only exposure has been Wobble then you will be in for a BIG surprise. The target speed in bunker is a major step up but I do agree that seeing the various target presentations from Wobbles is a help and you have to be quick and smooth and SEE the target clearly and there is a LOT of gun movement in Wobble.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

new to this,

ffwildcat:

Could not follow the link. Is it correct?

True Wobble or Auto Trap has been allowed for years however the biggest problem is that most of the set ups are not legal. A typical ATA house is about 30: too high. You either have to lower the trap or raise the shooting stations. Another item is the CVR voice calls are not legal because they have a delay. The calls either must be modified or replaced with a call like the Gemini which does not have the delay. Suggest you look at the "Auto Trap" rules which are published with the Bunker and Skeet Rules on the ISSF website.

Properly set up a wobble can be a very challenging alternative to true bunker.

TB

20. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

new to this,

Tom,

Try this. I cut and paste direct from the website page but for some reason it doesn't direct you to the site.

If the link doesn't work this time just type it into the address line on your browser.

Are you going to either of the San Diego shoots in Jan/Feb??

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ncaa shotgun bunker trap
rudolpho vigano shooting a left hand target

vigano shooting a left hand target

vigano shooting left hand target
vigano shppting a left hand target

what is bunker trap shooting