1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the Trapshooters forum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buck72, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck72

Buck72 Member

Hi all.I am fairly new to the sport of trap shooting and like it very well and am now reloading my own shells.My question is what load recipe is best for long shots for all year long shooting? I have shot various HOT loads from different people but they use different powders etc,I want to keep it as simple as possible.The shots range from 60 to 90 yds sometimes farther.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll leave the long loads to other memebers to answer but Welcome to TS.COM. Make sure to put on your "thick skin" when you log on. It is alot of fun here but things can get hairy at times. Don't take it personal.

3. Buck72

Buck72 Member

Thank you,I have read quite a few threads on this forum and have seen the unsportsmans like conduct but thats ok I will be fine.Whats the process in being a registered ATA shooter?

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

60-90 yds? I certainly can't help you!
    maybe Dr. Longshot will be along with his sage advice.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Buck72, process? Just show up at an ATA shoot and you can get signed up, join the ATA, and shoot in your choice of events you prefer. Don't be afraid to ask questions and you'll have many answers; some of them may even be correct. Welcome to the threads.......breakemall

6. Buck72

Buck72 Member

I only shoot the long shot once a week at one of the clubs I go to so no hurry in a load recipe,my other loads seem to be fine for first,backup and shoot offs.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Best way to get into the ATA is find out when your local club is having an ATA shoot - then go. You can sign up and pay your dues there as well as get a copy of the rule book. Make sure you show up at least one hour before the advertised start shooting time.

Now as far as trick ammo for long shots - forget about that BS and learn to hit the ordinary targets with regular ammo. You don't need a lot of power to break targets but you do need the consistency and accuracy that comes from lots of practice. Hot loads will harm your shooting and possibly your gun.

8. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Where do you live?

9. Buck72

Buck72 Member

Thanks for the advice and I will check in to see which club would be holding an ATA event in my area.Last weekend I tried to duplicate the long shot standing about 50 ft behind and to the left of the do-all trap thrower and didnt do well so at that distance my 1oz or 1 1/8oz of 7 shot using IM choke works or just practice more.

10. Buck72

Buck72 Member

I live in Athens ohio

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Long game shots are all I shoot. People use longshot powder, Unique, Pro reach and I use 7625. 1 1/4 oz loads, nothing else. welcome to a great forum where you will make many friends

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In regulation trap, you will be standing 16 yards behind the trap for singles which is as close as it gets. This will be about what you saw shooting at 50' behind the do-all. You have plenty of gun/shell to smoke targets at that range.

I would advise some practice shooting at a trap club with experienced shooters before registering targets. This will help you get use to the rotation, gun handling/loading and shooting style that are standard in the registered game.

13. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

You don't have to wait for a ata shoot, you can sign up on the ata's web site. You will use your receipt for prove of payment until you get your cards. I would do it now, because it took over 8 weeks for them to send me my card. Rick

14. Buck72

Buck72 Member

I have about a pound of 800x left from trying different powders so I might try that with 1 1/4oz of #6, so now Im using red dot and have stuck with it so far getting very good results in 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The 800 X is excellent for real long yardage but be careful with it as it tends to throw un even loads

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

yep, join the ATA on the website, then you are ready to go. I personally like the 2 3/4 dram shells for singles and doubles. I may use a 3 dram shot (18.5 or better of Red Dot in 1 1/8)for handicap but really do not like the thump of those loads. A few guys have talked about blue dot or green dot (they are slower burning) powders for long shots. Try searching the forum for that. Also talk with guys at the trap clubs. Most will let you in on what they are doing. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the sport. Be sure and put the WV shoots on your calendar for next year and check out the Cardinal Center shoots.

Courtney

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

All powder manufactures list reloading data for their powders on thier web sights. The heavy long range loads are one's used for waterfowl and are normally listed under field loads.

Depending on the games you're playing will determine the load required. Many people do well with 1-1/8oz field loads using #6 or #5 shot. A few do well with 1oz. Most shoot 1-1/4oz or 1/-3/8oz at very long range.

If you decide you want to play these games, then you will need to reload. The only caution, if you do decide to reload make certain you have a powder scale to check the powder drops from your loader and stay within the powder manufactures recipes.

Games are great fun, many guy's shooting them will help you get started. Remember, big is only big, not best. Enjoy!

Surfer

18. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Buck72, welcome

First and foremost; ONLY LOAD TO ESTABLISHED RELOADING DATA found in powder manufactures manuals.

1145 FPS is all you need for 16 yard targets, 11/8 ounce of #71/2 shot. Select a powder, wad & primer combination of your choosing to obtain 1145 FPS.

For long handicap targets you could move to 1200 FPS.

One thing to remember, it is not the power in the shell that breaks the target, it is the brain behind the gun.

Frank

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Like Frank said above a standard 1145 fps load of l l/8 oz. lead is fine for your singles and most likely all your starting handicap (20 yard) yardage. Now if you like to shoot some long range Annie's or miss and out type shooting, you may want a shell with a 1250 fps load with l l/8 oz. of lead is all you need. #8 shot at this speed will work great to 60-70 yards out, until the cold weather comes. Then use #7 l/2's for the longer shots or when it gets colder. When it gets cold enough for the heavy coats I'd lay off the long shots until winter is over and then start back up.
    Log onto the ATA website on the home page to this website and click on find a club. Then click your state in the zone and then find your state and click on that. This will bring up all ATA clubs in your state and then you can find the closeset clubs to you. Click on any of the clubs to find out how many fields they have and all other info including there address and zip so you can mapquest each club. Best of Luck with your shooting and welcome to TS.com. break em all Jeff

20. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you are shooting 60 to 90 yards, beside the larger shot recipes others have mentioned, you need a Full (.035) or even X-Full (.040) chokes.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.