1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the sport.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Surveyor, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Hi, my name is Todd, my 10yr old son has recently become very interested in shooting at the wobble trap and a sporting clay range. He saved up and bought himself a Mossburg500 youth 20g. He has resparked my interest in shooting again, and it's great to have a sport we can do together. I have heard that he may be better off shooting a rem1100 12g with 3/4oz shot as far as recoil on his young tendons. I would like to get him a better gun at some point and would love to hear you guys' opinions and for me as well, as I have only bought guns for hunting. Currently I have a few 870wingmasters and a couple Rem1100 and and old winchester 1200. I have been looking at the O/U but am still suffering from sticker shock.
    What do we need for now?
    What should we be saving for in the future?

Thanks guys, I'm so new I don't even know what questions to ask, anything you think would be helpful is appreciated.

Many Thanks.
    Todd

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Welcome to ts.com and to trapshooting! I will leave the technical questions to the experts. My only advice is to have fun!

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you reload the 12 ga 1100 would be my choice. Find a short stock or cut one off and get him started off right. The Mossy is ok field gun but no trap gun.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I doubt very much that the 1100 will cycle 3/4 oz loads, so you will have to shoot it as a single-shot and hand eject each empty. Maybe some 7/8 oz reloads @1200~1225 fps will function OK, and won't have much recoil. By all means, stick with the 1100 and invest in some reloading gear. You'll be Mucho $$$$$ ahead and will be able to shoot more often!

BTW - There's nothing wrong with the Mossberg. Pumps are great fun to shoot and can be very effective once a person is used to pumping. Very inexpensive to boot!

AndyH ;-)

5. linkerman

linkerman Member

PM sent.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve seen some 9=10 yr olds shoot 12 ga. guns and most 20 ga. guns may kick the snot out of a young boy or girl !! I load a 12 ga.1100fps 1 oz. load that my 1100 ejects so I would stick with that .

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've assisted a number of youths and dads and have yet to find one kid that didn't prefer Dad's 12 ga. and my weenie loads of 7/8 oz of 9s at +/- 1200 fps. Now, I fully admit I haven't taken to loading weenies in 20 ga. so my point is just a tad incomplete. However, I always recommend finding a suitable weight 12 ga like the BT-99 or similar and working with the loads used and the lad will have a set-up that will last a good many years.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thanks guys,
    I really appreciate all the info, and may be pickin your brains some more if you don't mind. This is all a brand new world to me and he's really eatin it up so I will try to stay one step ahead of him as long as I can, which probably won't be long.

Thanks again for all the input.

9. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money on a 20ga. The 1100 is an excellent gun, for the novice or an expert. You can buy,( or preferebly load) some nice 1oz loads at about 1150fps that he won't ever feel. You can break targets all day and he won't outgrow the 12ga. Just make sure the gun fits properly. That is by and far the most important factor to a new shooter. Welcome and have fun.

10. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Hey thanks. This seems to be the consensus, and I am looking at the one mark has posted here, if he still has it when I get back home from Texas.
    Looks like a beautiful gun.
    Thanks to all,
    Todd

11. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

By the way, can anyone tell me how to logout of this forum. I'm on a shared computer.
    Thanks again.

12. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Nevermind, I found it.

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I like the Mossy 20-GA youth. Maybe you have a friend who reloads 20's, and will let you use his machine? If not, get light 20-GA target loads, and stay away from the heavier field loads. The 1100 is great, and I really like the 20-GA youth 1100, but don't buy a gun without having him handle it at least, and preferably shoot it. The 1100's are nose-heavy, and a little person can develop a terrible shooting posture trying to hold up the danged thing. Phil E

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

First of all Todd, good job on bringing up a kid that has the ambition to work and save money for his hobbies. If he can handle the punch of that 20 guage youth model Mossberg then he would have no problem with a M1100 Remington 12 guage and standard target loads. If you reload you can make ultra low recoil rounds with 7/8 Oz shot but I doubt you will need to go that light.

The M1100 can take your son as far as he wants to go in the trap shooting game but the break open guns are where most people gravitate. Since you have a goal oriented kid he will probably want a nice O/U or combo some day. Check out the Browning XT and the Beretta 682 for starters. You will see many of each at the trap range and a friendly chat with the owner usually gets an invitation to 'try my gun'.

15. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thanks Wolfram,
    I was pretty surprised how fast he saved the money, and pretty proud too. I'm worried he's gonna rub the finish off it, as much as he cleans it.
    He's pretty proud of it. I ask him if he was planning to trade it when he outgrew it or decided he wanted an upgrade, and he looked at me like I had ask him if he would trade his dog.
    So I think he's planning on keeping it forever.
    His birthday is in Feb, so I am secretly planning to get him a 12g, that he can move into when he thinks he's ready.
    I think I will look into a reloader too. I can't believe how many boxes of shells we have went thru in the past 5 weeks.
    But it has been so fun, and so amazing to see his improvement in that amount of time.

16. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

EE,
    I agree with you about the too big of gun and will not put him in a situation where he thinks he needs to shoot something to please me.
    I was told that the right 12g with the right load would be easier for him, and that's the direction that I'm looking to take. Whatever is best for him long term is definately my goal.

Phil, thanks for the tip about nose heavy guns. I have noticed that when he has been shooting my 1100 that it is a little too much for an hour of shooting.

But he does shoot them at least a few times every time we go out, and I have noticed that each time he gets a little stronger.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

17. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thanks fellas, for being here, and sharing your opinions with us beginers.

I really do appreciate it very much.

18. ffkane

ffkane TS Member

My 9 year old son shoots a mossy 20 gauge and does quit well for just starting
    out at trap. He wants to go to a 12 gauge but is a little intimadated by it.
    Hope you have fun at the sport and welcome to TS.com.

Darin

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Surveyor, how is your son handling all that shooting with the Mossberg and the recoil? That would be the only reason to be concerned with his shooting it.

If your son is shooting alot and recoil seems create fatigue or lack of concentration after several rounds I would suggest using lower velocity 3/4 oz loads for volume shooting. This is going to require reloading which if unfamiliar to you then Iam sure many at your local club would be willing to lend a hand.

If ever comes a time that your son does decide to get rid of that Mossberg wether need be for a 12ga. purchase or because he thinks he no longer desires ownership, you call me and I will purchase the gun. Reason, someday he will want it back because it will always be meaningful since it was his first gun but importantly because he bought it with money he earned. It will be waiting for his return when the reality sets in.

If you intend to buy a 12ga. in Feb of next year for him the one I would consider strongly is a Beretta 3901RL. It has the desireable features that would work well for putting a young man into a 12ga.

I have no idea where you reside but I live in Kansas. I would be more than happy to help you and your son out in anyway I can with the limited knowledge that I posses.

I commend you for instlling qualities in your son that lead to him earning, saving and purchasing his first firearm :)

20. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

My 9 year old son shoots a mossy 20 gauge and does quit well for just starting out at trap. He wants to go to a 12 gauge but is a little intimadated by it. Hope you have fun at the sport and welcome to TS.com.

Darin

What do you mean "quit well"?

I'm not familiar with that term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.