1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the sport

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 9point3, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Been messing around at our local range and I love this stuff!!!

Just picked up a 870 trap and I am wondering how handicapped I will be when I decide to give doubles a try.

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Go to shootata.com and look at the rules book.

3. 9point3

I screwed up. I was asking about the fact that I will be using an 870 and was wondering if it will be a major hinderance when shooting doubles. I know that O/Us rule and autos work well but 870s are cheap.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

It can be done but it will be more difficult to shoot doubles with a pump. That is not to say that it can't be done though. Shoot them and have fun. Welcome to THE sport. John

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of fellows do well with them. Work them so fast you can't see it. It will work fine.

6. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I think 9point may have been asking how much of a "handicap" it will be to shoot a pump gun for doubles.

9 point, if that is the case, then you can certainly shoot your 870 for doubles. Pump guns were a mainstay for years amongst some great shooters of the past. It is certainly a rare sight to see today at an ATA registered shoot, as most shooters opt for over/unders as you might have guessed. You can have a lot of fun shooting doubles with a pump.

Just tonite however, I was at my local club for practice, and many hunters were out in force for the first cool evening in many moons. A fellow shot a round of doubles with a pump gun and did quite respectable. I'm sure he is a potent force in a duck blind.

How much it may handicap you, I couldn't venture a guess....perhaps you are more comfortable with your 870. That in itself is worth something.

There is nothing in the rules that prevent you from shooting your 870 in ATA competition of any sort.

Bob

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Bad timing. You missed the days of cheaper shooting ammunition and components. Good luck in your shooting and keep up with it as lead will come down just as it did in the 70's.

8. 9point3

Thanks guys,

I have a job that does not let me shoot as much as I would like but I think this sport will last a life time.

9. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

i have a friend that shoots an 870 trap very well he is AA-27-AA i have seen him break 99s and 98s with it i have tried to shoot with a pump and have done decent but somtimes i forget to pump in fact he says he cant shoot break action guns and ive seen him he cant not real well any way all u need is a little practice to get used to it and rember u have plenty of time for that secod shot u dont need to rush

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Sorry I misunderstood your post. We have a guy at our club that shoots a pump gun at doubles. His timing is great and when he's on, he can really tear them up.

I don't know but there's a possibility that should you get good with a pump just think how good you'd be with an O/U.

Welcome to the sport. It's one you can enjoy at any level for the rest of your life.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot a bit of non ATA doubles at club with my 870 exspress. Major problem I had was rushing the pump and not going fully back and then jamming up. best score was 41.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There are All Americans in the Hall of Fame who used pump guns for doubles and I've seen several that appear to shoot and shuck every bit as fast as an auto-loader. You can learn to do it but if you don't master the shucking part, you will be hampered. I'd suggest concerning yourself about this dilemma when you can resist no longer and want to give doubles a try. Having an economical 2nd gun isn't a bad thing....Bob Dodd

13. Harold

Harold TS Member

I shoot doubles with an 870, not that I am any good at it, but I think it's more fun. It doesn't kick any worse than any other gun of similar weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.