1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to the sport have questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gunner40sw, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner40sw

gunner40sw TS Member

I use to shoot trap back in the early 70s and I would like to start shooting again. So I found a club I am going to try and join and I think I have found a shotgun to start off with. The gun I am looking at is a Winchester Select Energy Trap with an adjustable comb. So If anybody can give me any info on this gun that would be great. Also whats the differnce betwen 30 and 32 inch whats better?

Thanks Tom Westley

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Firstly, welcome back to trapshooting! Always glad to get another shooter back into the game.

Secondly, that gun should be just fine so just get it set up and have a good time.

Thirdly, 2 inches. It is a matter of personal preference. Most like the shorter 30 inch though. Something about being easier to swing on doubles.

Have a good time and report back soon.

John

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

One member has the winchester at our club, I like shooting this gun. Its good to have the adjustable comb. His gun has been flawless also very slick looking gun with the checking pattern.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Read a review. I would not hesitate to buy one at a reasonable price if one came my way.

5. tachyon

tachyon Member

lkn4rocks

The Select Energy Trap is an over and under. I can see the need for a shell catcher if you are shooting a semi-auto, but I don't think a shell catcher is a necessary item for an o/u.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

gunner40sw,The O/U you picked out is a fine shotgun. I have heard of no problems at all with the Winchester Select Energy Trap gun. But they have not sold very well in my area at all. Maybe its the checkering pattern, who knows. If you can find a used one below market value, then I would buy one. If I were to buy a new shotgun in that price range I would buy a Browning O/U. I my opinion if you ever needed to sell it, you would get more return on your investment. With that aside, buy what you like and more importantly what fits you well. Good Luck and glad to see you back shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Tom, I've heard only good about it. Jeff has a good point about resale, if that would matter to you. Seems to me "Old Cowboy" John Saubak has one in 32", and maybe he'll pipe in with advice. If he doesn't, start a new thread attn'd to him. He likes his. The barrel length will probably be just a matter of feel & balance & swing, a personal decision. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.