1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I shoot Skeet and Trap but have never shot Sporting Clays. I am invited to shoot a 100 round course on Sunday and need a recommendation as to which gun to use. I have a 12ga. Remington 1100 "Tournament Skeet" with 26" barrel and skeet or improved cylinder chole tubes. I also have a 12ga. Remington 1100 "Classic Trap" with 30" barrel and singles .027, mid-handicap .034 or long handicap .041 choke tubes.
    Which gun/choke tube would be best suited for Sporting Clays.

Thanks for any help
    Don

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hmmmm......tough choice there. Personally, if these guns and chokes are my only options, I would go with the Tournament Skeet with the IC choke....the Trap gun is a better configuration, with it's parallel stock, but it's chokes are a bit on the tight side for most shooters. But...if it's a course with a lot of far shots, the .27 in the Trap gun would be my choice I suppose.

Either one I guess. It all depends.

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Use the more open chokes. Non-tournament targets are usually close, feel good targets. The management wants you to come back & not be embarrassed too badly.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Very seldom do you need anything tighter than IC in sporting clays. Go with the skeet gun.

5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Shooting on Sunday you say? Well that gives you a couple of days to pick out your new shotgun, doesn't it?

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shoot the IC choke.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I agree with IC in the short barrel and just force yourself to have fun......Bob Dodd

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

1100 with .027 and take the .034 along and change if you get longer shots.

Have fun and don't worry about it.

Don

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The only chokes I have ever seen needed on any course I have shot at, or even heard about are just 3-- Skeet, IC, and Light Mod. with these 3 you can shoot any target anywhere. Put in the IC's and forget the rest. Now go with some of your friends, as you are going to really enjoy shooting Sporting Clays as its the closest thing to real hunting you can find. Most times you only need a light target load, but bring a box of 3 dram or handicap loads just in case you have a few fast or hard targets to break. Break-em all. Jeff

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Use IC if it is a close course and Mod. if it is a long course.

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

use the skeet gun with ic and get a light mod choke tube or a mod if you can not get a lm tube most automatic shooters use ic 10th or lm 15 th out to 40 yards.

12. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

Most courses I've shot (non registered) for benefit shoots or generic non-registered shoots are easily shootable with an IC/LM combo for most pairs, or SK/IC for closer courses.

I shoot all shotgun games with a 32" Browning XT.

13. revbook

revbook Member

Shot the course on Sunday and had a great time! Thanks to all that responded. Shot the skeet gun with the IC choke. There were only a couple of birds that were too far out to reach. Shot a 50 and hope to improve next time.

Don

14. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

I use IC and SK in my SKB 585 with 28" barrel's and never have had any diffaculty in breaking any birds. This is the perfect combination for using a O/U in sporting clays. To take any long shots I just user different loads. sporting clays is a lot of fun and great practice for the up coming grouse season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long does it take to shoot 100 round sporting clays course

how long does it take to sporting clay shoot

sporting clays course white horse yukon