1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to sport, seeking advice...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by electron_theory, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electron_theory

electron_theory TS Member

Hey everyone, I started shooting clays a couple weeks ago, and after doing some
    research was thrilled to discover that there is competitive shotgunning. Competitive shooting runs in my family (mostly Highpower rifle), but even with a
    rifle background, this is a completely new world for me. I spent a couple of
    boxes of shells at the practice trap, and did well enough IMO to further pique
    my interest.

I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on gear, I have my Mossberg that I
    like very well, it's a cannon, but it fits me, mounts well, etc... But with that
    said, I wanted to learn the correct techniques/target approach from you guys
    that would be so kind to share your expertise with me... The info on how to
    approach targets on the net is rather scant.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong, but right now I pretty much wait for the
    target out of the trap, find it on the way up, then let it fall on the muzzle
    just past the apex...

I appreciate all feedback in advance.

PS I considered about putting a carbine stock on my Mossy to feel a little more at home, but wasn't sure how that would be received :/

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Where are you from? See if someone at your local club can help you out.

I would google "Remington Trap Fundamentals", their publication has a lot of good information for a new shooter.

Don't put a carbine stock on your shotgun.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

1st-- what do you mean by "clay" shooting--sporting clays, trap, skeet ect?

4. electron_theory

I live in Dallas, the local range is Elm Forks. I have only been out there once,
    but I seemed to be hitting more than the fellas around me, so I'm guessing that
    they were just plinkers too...

I guess the best thing to do is just harass anyone shooting a break action.. heh
    heh...

Thanks for the lead Rich... I will give it a thorough read.

Mike

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap targets are shot while they are rising. Trap guns have a built in vertical lead. You did not say what model gun you are using, maybe there is a trap stock and trap barrel available for it. HMB

6. electron_theory

To clarify, by "clays" I meant trap. I did not even know there were separate
    events. Until a week ago, I thought clays, skeet, pigeons, and trap all meant
    the same thing. heh

my apologies for being ambiguous.

My shotgun is a Mossberg 835. Don't laugh. This all started as a way for me to
    develop proficiency for H/D purposes, until I found that people were shooting competitively... You guys may get a good laugh, but forgive me for not knowing the exact etiquette.

Mike

7. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

There are only a couple of basic things that you should ever listen to. All I'm going to tell you now is you want to shoot the target while it's rising. Some people, including myself, shoot the target less than one second after it comes out of the house. As far as any other advice, like I said take basic pointers, but what you need to do more than anything else is find out what works well for YOU. What works for someone else may or may not be effective to you. So if anyone gives you advice, politely thank them and try it if you like, but unless it's a major necessary correction, just figure out what works best for you on your own.
    -Trappy

8. philk

philk Member

Mike , there aren`t to many here that are going to laugh, we`ve all been humbled before. Some more than others......

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Mike, as I'm sure Phil will confess ... 98% of *his (and prolly closer to 106.85% of us 'ordinary' mortals') misses have one of two things in common - and when you are really, really skillfully at the bottom of your game, you can do a two-fer and miss by 10-15', instead of just 2-3'.

- you're shooting a dead gun

- you are lifting your head to admire your handiwork

Trappy gave you good advice: go after the bird, aggressively and early. The rest of the skills you need will come along.

Bob

10. electron_theory

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm definitely going to start shooting them on
    the way up when I go back out next weekend. In the mean time, I have some reading to do.

Mike

11. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

You start by taking one private lesson from the best in the world Kay or Debbie Ohye. LOL!!!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

chemist- Not true. The shot I shoot and the targets I shoot at will sometimes occupy the same space at the same time. Why else would so many I shoot at not break. We both know that atoms are made up of mostly empty space. Could it be that my #8 shot just pass through the empty subatomic space?

Pat Ireland

13. electron_theory

Ha Ha well said Chemist.

The biggest challenge going into this for me is going to be adjusting my shooting
    style to be quite a bit more aggressive... By nature I am a patient shooter, I
    like to wait for my shots to develop, which is why my initial approach was to let
    those buggers burn off a little and shoot 'em near or just beyond the apex. That
    approach seemed logical to me, but I do understand the flaws in thinking that
    way. I'm going to have lots of fun untraining myself to not think like a rifle
    shooter

Mike

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

electron_theory- As an accomplished rifle shooter you have learned to carefully line up the rifle sights and slowly let a round go. But, for shooting trap you well might remove your front sight or paint it black, mount the gun firmly and just look at the target and shoot. That sounds very odd to a rifle shooter, but it does work for trap. You absolutely do not aim a shotgun, but this will take you some time to learn.

Pat Ireland

15. acss

order phil kiners dvd--NOW!!!! understand POI (point of impact)--DO NOT buy a sporting clay gun or anything that has a low stock!! watch phils dvd again and then watch good shooters!! & have fun!!!!!!!!!!

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

awww,why'd ya have to say that about the sporting clay gun.That's what I bought(not knowing any better)(as been pointed out by the above statement) and what I'm learning on.I'm still having fun and getting better since oct.,,and the fella that got me into this sport tells me to just learn my gun,nothing wrong with it,just learn it and don't get into the better gun means more broken targets syndrome because it isn't the gun that breaks them.It's your ability to use the gun.

Doug H.

17. acss

i cant argue with what your friend said---but understanding-rising targets along with POI and shooting where they are going versus shooting where they are at--will longterm be more fun!!!! i dont want to start a new discussion- but watch what kind of guns( not name or price) are in the trap range rack. then go to a sportingclay range and look what is in their racks!? GOOD LUCK & happy shooting

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is nice to have a gun that hits where you are looking. HMB

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Oh Mike, Your going to have fun now unlearning all you have learned in rifle shooting. Shooting a moving target and a paper (still) target are two different animals for sure. What Pat said is correct, you never look at your barrel or bead on barrel. You always are looking directly at the target. Now you will still see your barrel in your periferial vision and thats were it needs to stay. If you take your eyes off the target to look at barrel bead you will have lost the target. Your eyes will adjust very quickly to something closer to you (like the end of barrel) when shooting, but it takes 4 times as long for your eyes to readjust to the target farther away, which is now in a different place than it was when you stopped looking at it. For a new shooter who is serious I suggest you try Dallas Gun Club in Lewisville Tx. Find on website at Dallasgunclub.com. Call and see if they have someone who can at least teach you the basic's. Proper stance,form,swing,gun fit ect. He can then give you a few of the pointers to get you started corectly. Alot of shooters start off on there own only to develop problems (bad habits) in the basic form,stance,hold points and misc. This is money well spent, and you will need to find and shoot with people who are better than you are to pratice with. With pratice and some GOOD ADVICE you can do well. Set realistic goals and work for them. Then you can climb the ladder on up. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

20. electron_theory

Thank's for the great advice everyone... I can't wait to get out there again and
    try out all of this new info...

@ Jeff, I know it's going to be frustrating and a lot of fun, I checked out that
    dallas gun club website before, and was seriously put off by the membership prices
    but looking at it again, it appears that you don't have to be a member to use an
    instructor... That will be something worth looking into further.

Being new to the sport, what should I focus more on, technique or theory?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.