1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to shotshell reloading - Peters hulls 20 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Clintwb, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clintwb

Clintwb TS Member

I am fairly new to shot-shell reloading but inherited two MEC presses from my dad's garage which i have gotten cleaned up, replaced a few parts and are in good working order. I have quite a load of components as well that i would like to make use of if possible for shooting clays.
    <br><br>
    Here is a list of what i have:<br><br>
    Hulls<br>
    20g - Peters Target 2 3/4 (about 1000) <br>
    12g - Peters Blue 2 3/4 (about 500) <br>
    12g - Win AA red low brass 2 3/4 (about 250)<br>
    12g - Win AA red high brass 2 3/4 (about 250)<br>
    <br>
    Powders<br>
    1 lb of WIN 540<br>
    1 lb of WIN 473AA<br>
    1 lb of 20/28<br>
    <br>
    Primers<br>
    Nearly full box of (1000) WIN 209 Primers <br>
    <br>
    Wads<br>
    12g - WAA12 (250)<br>
    12g - WAA12r (250)<br>
    12g - WAA12blue (250)<br>
    20g - Rem SP20 (200)<br>
    20g - WAA20 (500)<br>
    <br>
    Shot<br>
    #4, #6, #8 Lead Shot (1) 25lb bag of each<br>
    <br><br>
    I am looking for some advice on loads for specifically the 20 Gauge hulls that i have. They seem to be in very good condition. It is hard to find data on the Peters hulls. I do have the Lyman 3rd edition... and am planning on picking up the most recent one as well. But have not been able to put together anything with all of these components. Seeing as my dad used to reload both 12g and 20g using these components... i can't find a recipe that matches everything!
    <br><br>
    Many thanks for any advice you may have.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It has been awhile, but I use to load those 20 gauge hulls with 473AA powder for 7/8 Oz target rounds. I don't give out loading data because there is a good chance I won't get it right. (shouldn't trust word of mouth on this anyway) What you want to find is a Winchester booklet from the 80's that has this data in it. I will look tonight as I think I have a couple of them.

Using up old components is especially attractive in these times of high prices and limited supplies.

Let you know tomorrow.

3. Clintwb

Clintwb TS Member

Thanks Wolfram. That is exactly what i am looking for!

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I don't know about old Peters hulls, but the current Peters hulls are the same as Remington Gun Club which are the same as STS as far as load data. The WAA20 wad is a good 7/8 oz wad, and the SP20 wad is a 1 oz wad. For 20/28 loads, go to the Alliant website:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/index.aspx&

The Winchester 540 is the same powder as Hodgdon HS-6 [http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009124177/hodgdon-hs6-smokeless-powder], so go to the Hodgdon data center:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I am not familiar with the WAA12blue wad. Is that the nomenclature on the bag? The only WAA wad that I have seen in blue was for 16 ga.

5. Clintwb

Clintwb TS Member

Here are photos of the Peters hulls that i have. IF this helps anyone.

clintwb_2013_0204.jpg

clintwb_2013_02041.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

peters 20 gauge hulls

peters remington 20 gauge 8 hull

reload peters shotshells