1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW TO SHOOTING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ed_schultz, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ed_schultz

ed_schultz TS Member

ok, yesterday i introduced myself to this forum, ive been reading numerous threads and trying to get a feel on this shooting thingy.

ok, heres a lil brief bio of myself, im 40 yrs old and up untill a month ago i never once fired let alone held any type of gun in my hands. i came from a family who never owned guns or was ever interested in owning guns. now i am involved with a lady whos entire family is gun crazy, from her grand father, dad and 2 brothers. its all they talk about or do, is shoot or kill something.
    they say they are active in this so called ATA thingy, im kinda getting a grasp as to what that is.

im kinda looking for a few opinions on wether its a safe thing to do.
    ive researched the ATA web site but havnt been able to find and specific regulations on members.

what im meaning is, is there any safe guards in place to keep ME and the members safe from mentally unstable people from joining and participating.
    does the ATA perform back ground checks and do they require and valid proof that one is not a tad off plumb???
    from what i gather these ATA shoots attract large crowds and now days one can never be to safe. do the gun clubs holding the events provide proffessional armed secirity for the participants protection??? are there any safe guards in place that diss allows a participant who is on precription drugs from participating??? is there any safe guards in place to prevent people who arnt in good physical condition ??? im scared someone in poor physical shape could have a stroke or heart attack and be the cause of a accidental disscharge of his or her gun and fattally injure ME or someone else.

like i said before you can never be TO SAFE.

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Get some shooting under your belt first, learn the sport and have fun . You can join the ATA later if you desire but shooting for fun is the beginning and I`m sure the family will help you out with that . Welcome .

3. hopper810

hopper810 Member

sounds kind of fishy,ya think?

4. ed_schultz

ed_schultz TS Member

hopper810, what do you mean by . " sounds kinda fishy " ?

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The gene pool has a tendency to thin itself of undesirables. I really don't think the sport is for you Ed. You might want to take up jacks, shuffle board or ping pong depending on your physical condition. For God's sake, do not take up fishing or sky diving. There are sharks that will get you when fishing and you sound like you would have trouble deciding when to pull the cord for the parachute.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Ed,

Welcome to the shooting sports! Since you have never been around firearms much, I feel you are a little nervous about it! That is no problem. I have been involved in the shooting sports for the past 15 years, shooting ATA Trap and NSSA Skeet. If you join the ATA, you do not have a background check done. If a shooter is a convicted felon, they are not allowed a gun. If they join the ATA, someone will find out about it and they will be barred (This has happened).

You mentioned gun clubs having security guards.....well, I have only been to one gun club that had security guards. That was the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, Texas. They had a locker room where you could pay to keep your guns instead of hauling them back to your hotel. The security guard's only job was to watch and protect the guns. You may take my next point as not being serious, but I am being.....why do you feel you need security? You have a gun there with you! I suppose you or I could use it if need be.

You also mentioned someone having a stroke/heart-attack or being unstable/mentally off.....I have never seen anyone die or have any major issues while shooting. Yes, it has happened, but I haven't seen it. As far as being around people mentally off or unstable.....well, you are around several here, you just don't know it yet! LOL! In all seriousness, trapshooting is a great hobby, passion, and life for some. There is GOOD people involved in this sport. If there is someone unsafe or some funny business is going on, I promise you that it will be taken care of immediately. I feel safer at trapshoots than I do at my local gas station!

Matt Woodson

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ed, where are you? You need to find a regular competitor in trap and skeet and have him/her spend a day with you at the range. There is a lot to see and understand for a raw beginner and I'll suggest it may not be best to go with your ladies family. Spend a day with someone observing just how safe this sport is and how guns are not the evil thing you seem to be organized to believe. All of your concerns are excessive, maybe paranoid and a few hours exposure will help you. Let us know where you are and maybe there will be a volunteer to give you the unbiased introduction you need.....Bob Dodd (Oregon).

8. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Slowdp, there is no reason why ed can't become a great contributor to this sport, there is no need to tell him that the shooting sports are no place for him. The ATA needs all the members they can get, so i encourage him full heartedly.

I, myself, feel as though Mr. Woodson does. I feel more safe at the range than i do almost any other place. I have only been shooting trap now for coming up on 2 years in march, and am truly addicted to it. Though i must admit i have been shooting rifles and shotguns, and hunting since i was 4 (now am 18).

I cannot speak for other clubs, but at my home club, if there is anyone being unsafe on the firing line or anywhere else, someone will always speak up and correct them, or if they do not know the safety rules, they will take the time to teach them.

This is a great sport, where you can meet many friendly nice people, that may be friends for life. I wish you well in your shooting endeavors.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

9. LFT687

LFT687 Member

A hook, some bait, someone to reel it in ...

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I'm glad there were responses given that are encouraging. If more had the same negative attitude as some of the responses given here the ATA WOULD BE DEAD instead of floundering.

If one wants to enter our sport he should be welcomed. If he is not a good fit it will be worked out soon enough.

To those MR. NEGATIVES: IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING GOOD TO OFFER, KEEP YOUR IGNORANT MOUTH SHUT. Our sport, or any other, does not need attitudes like yours.

Ed, don't let these idiots discourage you. Trap is a very fun/enjoyable sport. I can honestly say that my best friends were met on the trap fields. Give it a try with a knowledgeable trapshooter to guide you. One word of caution: You could indeed become hooked.

Welcome, Marc

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I can personally guarantee your wallet will not be safe.

HM

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I applaud Mr. Woodson and others who treated this question with fairness and as a sincere question. Even if the question was a troll; perhaps the question's being asked is good PR. I think legitimate questions were asked. Example: Some think that mountain climbing at lower elevations, with proper equipment and proper belays is still very unsafe. I had the pleasant experience of being led up a couple of "hills" years ago. One learns that the nylon and kernmantle ropes and proper protection is really building a defacto elevator. A couple of falls/slips on belay begins to feel just like a natural thing and part of the environment. Consider also: We go down the hiway and miss oncoming traffic, at 60 plus miles per hour, by maybe three feet sometimes. That sentence standing alone, if one has never been in the environment or has never seen a motorized vehicle, sounds very unsafe if not ludicrous.

Familiarity with the environment does, I hope, build understanding and respect for the boundaries of that environment's envelope. So I encourage the original poster to visit a traprange for a wonderful and pleasant surprise.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

luven maybe you like his line of BS. But he can take it down the road and play some other site as the village idiot. He is having fun at your expense so keep paying up.

Don

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Don,

Maybe he's a wanna be scriptwriter?

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So now you want to know the odds of being molested at the trap range huh Ed?

Somethin tells me your not in this for the shootin....

ps. ease up on the thingy thingy, it puts too much artifical flash around the bait.

16. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I have and will keep encouraging new shooters and Ed is right. Stay with it, go to your local club... if they shoot leagues look at the scores and aline your self we the people with the highest aves. that are consistant... They will be your teachers in the club. Don't become discouraged if this is something you enjoy it will come ...best of luck and good shooting

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ed, if you PM me your address, I will put a book in the mail covering all aspects of trap shooting. The book was done by Garcia/ Beretta. A copy was given to me when I first started shooting trap. It is an easy read. When you finish the 34 pages I am sure you will have a better understanding of the sport. It enlightened me and when I first hit the line I felt very comfortable shooting. I had never shot shotgun before I read the book. Welcome aboard, Bulge.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ed,

Also check the Remington Arms Company's website. They have a great overview re. trapshooting. I believe it is a oondensed version of the late and great Remington Pros Book by D. Lee Braun. It's free for the download.

19. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

20. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have been a competitor of some sort of firearm games since 1976. Never even heard of a competitor harming another in any way.

When you go to your fine dining establishmnet, do they have armed guards keeping the chef from cutting your throat if you send a dish back? Do they provide some documentation on the mental stability of the kitchen staff with access to sharp knives AND the armed guards you would have posted to prevent an attack on you?

If you are for real, your in-laws to be might weed you out, not based on your lack of firearms knowledge, but your ability to prove ignorance breeds fear.

Sorry to be so direct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.