1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Reloading what Hulls ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scotty585, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Remington Gun Clubs are great for reloading and usually easy scores at most ranges. They load the same as STS and other Remington loads. Just make sure to use a published recipe, and a good scale.

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The AA hulls can be tricky because the base wad can migrate up into the barrel on older models. Not sure how to ID, but it's something to be aware of. You're going to have to find a 1 oz recipe to work from and go from there. What kind of speed are you looking for? Start there and find a powder that will give you the speed you want, working backwards into hulls, wads and primers. Recipes are all on line, which is really nice.

Joe

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

Scotty is right:

Any Remington hull will work fine and they all can be reloaded with the same recipe. Gun club hulls will actually last longer than STS or Nitro. Make sure you get wads designed for a tapered hull. I use Downrange copies of the TGT and Figure 8. I gave up on Winchester hulls; too many potential problems.

John

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Remington hulls in 12 ga and 20ga; Winchester AAHS in 28 ga and .410 bore.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Buy yourself a flat or 100 pack of Rem. gunclubs or STS. Shoot them & you will have some good empties. They will last you quite a while. Promo powder,fioochi primers,claybuster wads will get you started. Buy a scale if you don't have one.

Clyde

6. rwtii

rwtii Member

Some people like to standardize on one hull. That is probably a good idea. The AA hulls are now two piece hulls, like 98% of the other hulls in the world.
    Many of the European shells brands use the same Cheddite hull. Load them once and drop them. Most are six point crimps. Get a 6 point crimp starter for $5.
    You can buy wads in bulk from several sources. My advice is to stay away from reclaimed shot unless you have a chrome lined barrel. Small sand is often found on the shot, even after washing. It will score the barrel and ruin it over time.
    My reason for reloading is to get exactly the load I want. It is also part of the zen of the whole thing. I don't suppose I save all that much over promo loads, but I get what I want and have something to do in the winter. Be careful about primers. Some of the European primers are slightly oversized.

7. perezal

perezal Member

I like to load remington gun clubs. Federal game loads and top gun hulls are only good if you know they didnt get wet. They have a paper base wad that gets messed up if it gets wet. Invite your buddies to a round of clays have them buy gun clubs and reload all of them.

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

No need to sift through piles of books. Go straight to Alliant's website for your RedDot recipes. I put it in the header above.

With the wads you have, you really want to use 1 1/8th oz of shot. Looks like there are a couple pretty nice loads there. If you have to load 1 oz then you will need a taller wad. TGT12 in Remington or a WAA12SL in Winchester.

Gun clubs are great hulls if you are ok with the steel base. You will get LOTS of reloads out of them. I like STS and Nitro hulls even better, but the initial cost is higher.

9. oz

oz Active Member

Remington STS are the best. for data go to hodgdon.com clays powder is the best. oz

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Two people on this thread bashing AA hulls. I've loaded thousands and probably have 10,000 empties stacked up. No issues, ever. What are the "potential problems", where are the documented "base wad migration" issues?

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

STS, Nitro27 and Pre-2001 WW. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

12ga = STS and Federal Top Gun for trap, Black Remingtons for Skeet. I use Trap loads (1 oz.) for Sporting Clays, and shoot them in a Skeet Gun.

16ga = any Remington I can get

20ga = AA's

28ga = Anything other than STS- I can't get the STS to crimp worth a dang.

.410 = anything I can get my hands on.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I have been loading Winchester hulls since 1976. I
    have never had a problem with them. I also use WW
    primers and Downrange 1 oz. wads. Good combination!

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The most important thing is standardizing with just one hull type and finding the perfect load for that hull.

In my opinion, the Remington STS/N27 is the best hull for reloading but they aren't always easy to get. The Rem Gun Club is excellent and loads the same but the steel head does cause problems - especially in pump action guns. A great 1 oz load for those hulls is 17.5 g CLAYS and the AA style pink wad using a mild to medium primer like the STS209 or the Winchester 209.

If getting the Remington hulls is going to be a problem, you can go the once and done route with Federal top gun or Estate hulls using the federal 12SO wad or clone. The neat thing about these hulls is you can get them by the bushel for free and load them one time and let them fly.

Good luck and have fun.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

AA's are bad.....Yea right Joe Kuhn. I've only reloaded maybe a half a million of them in the last 40 years. And I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with a AA reload.

16. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Remington stsn nitrosn and gun clubs do great. As do AA's. Model 12s dont like the gun clubs though especially if your chamber ring is pretty new. All the mentioned hulls above are tapered and can use pretty much the same wads. Federal gold medal hulls are not tapered and require a differ wad as info. Dont waste your time on any plastic federal hulls not having gold metal stamped on thebase . The ones that dont are throw aways. They dont hold their crimp. Cheaper plastic. Claybuster cb1100 are good 1 oz wads imo. Drop 16 to 17 grains of RD and you ll be happy. As stated go to alliant web site. Your powder bushing selection may take some tweaking as single stage loader drop heavier than a progressive loader due to the extra cranking involved. The powder settles more.

17. dhip

dhip Active Member

LMAO,,Guess I'm the odd ball here.If it holds powder and shot I reload it.Have to make maybe small adjustments on my Mec depenfding which shell,but I've loaded Winchesters,remingtons,federals,and yes even what some call Euro trash,,Estates.You know what,they all go bang,and all break targets.I just make sure I check them out for splits and wear before reloading.If I had to name worst shell,it'd be federal gold metal,brand new after firing once several had splits starting down the side of shell.Maybe just a bad batch,but compared to the federal wounded warrior shells,the gold metals were junk.

As one fella told me and I did mention it,if you reload them,and they go bang,alls good.

Doug H.(pa)

Search tags for this page
are gun club hulls longer than aahs
brands of tapered hulls

what brands use cheddite hulls

which wads go with which hulls