1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to reloading, questions on powder!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by branwheat007, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

Just started reloading for trap. I know this may get a varity of responses, but what powder should I use for reloading? Thanks. Brandon

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

red dot

i use it for 3/4oz,7/8 oz, 1 oz and some 1 1/8 oz all 12 gauge

bill

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

You picked a really crappy time to start reloading. The cost of components is through the roof.

Forrest

4. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

Still has to be cheaper than buying them from off the shelf, right?

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

branwheat, Components are getting high, but so is factory ammo. I am sort of an Alliant fan, but there some great powders out there. Red Dot is mentioned above is a great powder. I have it in my store for $95.00/8lb. keg. Alliant Promo is a promo powder that is very similar to Red Dot. I load it personally and love it! It is only $80.00 for 8 pounds. Another money saving powder is the REX line of powder. This is cost wise to Promo. It is an imported powder, and comes in 2lb. cans and 25lb. kegs. Cost has been running around $250.00 for 25lb. keg. You can keep the cost down by reloading some of the cheaper items. You can use Promo or REX, Chedditte 209 primer, Downrange or Claybuster wad, and good quality shot......and you have a top quality load for less. I load 18.0 grains of Promo, Chedditte 209, Downrange wads, and quality shot. 18.0 grains give me 1200fps in a 1 ounce load, and 1145 in a 1 1/8 ounce load. This load is a bargain load, but shoots great! The target never knows the difference! Remember withloading supplies, the more you buy-the more of a discount you get!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

6. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

Thanks for the respose Matt. Here is another question (possibly a dumb one), what kind of shot are you loading? Lead shot? And what is chilled shot?

7. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

Also what is the referred or recomended oz. of shot for trap? Thanks again.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Yes, I am loading lead shot. There are two types of lead shot: Chilled and Magnum. Magnum has a slight more antimony therefore making it harder. It is also costs more. I have broken targets with both, and ever noticed a difference. Chilled is usually a buck or two cheaper per bag.

Matt

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Branwheat007:

Red Dot is probably the most widely used shot shell powder for light through standard trap loads. It is an excellent place to start. Alliant makes Red Dot and several other powders in the USA and provides reloading data for a very wide variety of hulls.

Yes, component costs are high but new shells are also high. You can save money relative to the purchase price of new STS, AA or Federal Premium shells. These hulls have brass heads and are reloadable many times.

If you find the steel headed discount shells (Gun Club, etc.) on sale or if you have certain coupons, you can probably match the cost of reloaded shells.

To me, the ability to load a quality, 1 oz. load in a Federal Gold Medal or Remington STS brass headed hull is well worth the time and effort to reload. If you plan to shoot games, you will find another reason to reload, i.e., to make specialty shells for the games you shoot.

A balance beam scale is not too expensive and is a wise investment. Check out the Alliant web site in Links section of TS.com. You will find descriptions of each of their powders and a comprehensive list of reloading data.

The MEC web site has some basis tips on reloading that is a good starting point on learning how to reload shot shell.

For 16 yard and short handicap, a 1 oz. load of # 8 shot at 1200 fps is a great all around load.

Try to keep everything as simple and basic as you can to start. By simple, I mean one powder, one hull, one wad and one primer. I would recommend the STS hull and Remington TGT12S wad, Remington 209P primer and Red Dot. Select one weight of powder and stay with it for a while.

You can find load data for this combination on the Alliant web site.

Ed Ward

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Bran

If you are new to loading, I would suggest you look at your local suppliers, get prices and an idea of what is popular in your area. Check around, and if prices seem high, consider going in with folks where you shoot for quantity purchases.

Often, the gun club will help you on this. They should figure if you load more ammo, they will sell more targets.

If this does not work out, see if reasonable components are within a short distance from your home.

Last but not least, you can order online. There are companies that will waive the HazMat ripoff charge if you order sufficient quantities of powder and primers.

I would look for economy, realizing that lower cost components will still equal or exceed performance of most ammo.

Many fun shooters are loading 7/8 oz for 16s and the first shot of doubles, and one ounce for the second doubles target and short yardage handicap.

I would not worry too much about magnum shot right now. If you are mostly shooting 16s and doubles, chilled will be fine.

Powder is like gasoline. Why pay a premium price? REX I and PROMO are the gold standards for economical powders. They are flexible and dependable.

Cheddite primers are hard to beat for the money. Nobel and Fiocchi primers are not totally reliable in some guns.

Claybuster and Downrange wads are good and cost less than the factory wads.

Remington and Federal Field and Range hulls load well, although the Federal can give problems if allowed to get wet. These hulls are often left on the ground at your club, and are usually there for the taking.

I always suggest a MEC 9000 press. It can be used as a single stage until you get used to it, and once you are accustomed to it a flat of shells can be loaded in a little over 20 minutes. Parts and service are easy and inexpensive. The MEC can load about any load in about any shell, especially in the 12 gauge.

11. branwheat007

branwheat007 TS Member

Another question. ( I am gonna go buy a reloading book tomorrow). I'm just full of questions tonight. OK heres the question - I know what drams is (the amount of powder loaded) but ow do you know how much to load for trap. The Winchester AA lites I buy is 2 3/4 drams and I am seem to do well with it. Why would you load 3 1/2 drams. Thanks. Brandon.

12. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Branwheat, I started with Red Dot went to Green Dot and loved this powder but it is really dirty makes your hulls black then you get it on your hands an then it ends up on your face, just good dirty powder, But now I shoot 1oz.load with 700X powder with claybuster wads best load I have ever come up with soft shooting around 1250 fps. you would love it ..... Ricky

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Brandon, a 2 3/4 deam equiv. load using 1 oz. of shot should run about 1180 fps according to industry standards and 1 1/8 oz loading at 1145 fps.

What I would suggest instead of jumping into this by yourself is befriend a fellow shooter at your local gun club and ask them for assistance and advice. Make sure they are competent.

When setting yourself up the reloading manual that your going to buy tomorrow is your first basic item. Second should be a good set of scales and third being the press. As mentioned above, check whats available in components and your area and make decisions on what your going to use from that.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Bran

Drams Equivilent (DE) is an arcane measurement for comparing smokeless powder against equivilent amounts of black powder. The conversion is confusing, and must be memorized to make sense.

After more than a century, ammo makers are starting to state velocity instead, which makes more sense.

BTW, a dram is 1/16 of an ounce. 2 drams is 1/8 oz. NEVER load smokeless by the dram. Use a manual for data, available on line.

15. arnie2

arnie2 TS Member

I'm just getting into reloading too and have a question. I stocked up on Federal Top Gun and Remington Gun Clubs back when I could get them for $35/flat and still have about 15 flats left. How good are those hulls for reloading?

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Pay Attention!!! Get a good scale! I like 700x for everything back to 25 yards, and Green Dot for shooting from the fence. Hogdon and Alliant have good reloading web sites. What ever components you come up with, take the time to pattern your gun with the shotshells your making, and keep records of them. Wayne

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Reloading is a great sideline to trap shooting. For a beginner, I recommend Red Dot. After a little experience with weighing powder lots, and one wants to save a few $, Promo is a good choice. Start with one brand of hull, one wad and one primer. After 50 years of reloading, I have expanded to one hull, one primer, two wads and two powders.

Pat Ireland

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

See whats avalible local, here in SE Ma is seems to rotate between Hodgdon clays, aliant red dot and green dot. So far I have never seen promo, aliant clay dot or any of the higher priced powders. I like clays good all around powder.

19. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

arnie2, Those hulls are fine for loading. Please contact me, and I can tell you more.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

20. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

2 words....700x to the 27 ,and herco beyond!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.