1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Reloading-Need Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrfelix, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrfelix

jrfelix TS Member

I am new to reloading and have two questions if anyone can answer them.
    1 If you have shells that were originally loaded with 9 shot is it ok to load them with a different shot, say 7.5?
    2 I have a bunch of Estate Super Sport hulls left over does anyone have reloading information for these?
    Thanks

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

1. If you have shells that were originally loaded with 9 shot is it ok to load them with a different shot, say 7.5?

Yes

3. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Buy a good manual and read it cover to cover. Shot size makes no difference,only weight...................Roger

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Second on Roger's advice - do your homework before you pull the handle. If you are collecting hulls, the ones you want are the Remington STS or Nitro27 or Gun Club. These will simplify your reloading efforts considerably. If you would like reccomendations on loading machines and/or components, just ask us, we will be happy to help.

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Scales,use them....GOOD LUCK

6. jrfelix

jrfelix TS Member

Thanks guys, I read through my reloading book and it didn't say one way or another so i was just making sure. Justin

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Do the Estate Hulls have a fiber or plastic base wad (wad inside the bottom of the hull)?

What amount of shot and the velocity do you want to achieve?

What primer, powder, wads do you have?

Jason

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Shot charges are measured by weight rather than size. Since you are a beginner get as much loading data as you can and follow it by the letter. A good source of info is from Hodgdons since they have bought out most of the U.S. manufacturers.

A good powder scale is a must to check the consistency of your powder drops. Check every tenth one if you can until you are confident that your setup is working properly. A plus or minus .2 grain differential in powder weight is acceptable since you are dropping powder by volume vs. weight. Hummidity and powder lot play a role in the actual weight of your powder drop, just remember to recheck powder weight with each new lot of powder. Also, coarser powders will not meter as consitently as fine ball type powders.

Not to worry, shotshell reloading is not near as critical as metallic reloading if you have that experience. Just a little common sense and sticking to published data will keep you out of trouble.

Robert

9. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

You should follow a recipe for a particular load exactly. Do not substitute components. If it calls for a primer by one mfr., don't substitute the same type primer from another mfr.

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Know your reloader and study in detail how it works; as Reagan once said "Trust but verify". Talk to other people who have the same loader and ask about potential problems and how to notice these; get beyond the "this is a great loader thing". I always sample, say I load 150 shells, take 25 at random and fire these right away. Nothing as bad as someone saying :I have to shoot this junk up. Work at a steady speed; too many will tell you that 500 shells per hour is what they load; but, sh-t happens. Better to load 150 good shells slower than to load garbage. Check at the start of reloading your loader for spiderwebs or other debris in the powder drop tube and powder feed area. Check to ensure all the fingers in your wad guide are there. Most of this is comman sense but I am surprise the number of experience reloaders make careless errors; if not, I wouldn't have to have a ramrod at the scorer's bench. Darrell

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I would have to see which estate shells you are using. You can compare them to federal hulls and see if they match up.

12. jrfelix

jrfelix TS Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I am using 2 3/4 super sport estate shells. I believe they are a plastic base wad but would have to check later for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.