1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Reloading first load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpsr6, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I am new to reloading and just got a MEC 9000 and would like confirmation on the following 1oz load. these are my plans, I have pleny of Gun Club,Top Gun and Estate hulls to load with Win 209 primer, Claybuster 12so wad ,17.3(?) grains red dot. I cant find this particular recipe anywhere to confirm but there are a few guys at my club using it with good sucess. I am open to suggestions.

2. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I don't think you will get away with using the same wad for Remington and Federal hulls without having to make crimp adjustment on your machine. My advise would be to pick one or the other and stick with it. Tom

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Reloading without a powder manufactuer's manual or independent sources like Lyman can be asking for trouble using "recommended recipes" not in the book. Since I do not know your fellow shooters or if they have propler testing equipment, I would be inclinded not to use any recommended load not in a published manual, or provided by an experienced source. It is just too big a gamble, when it comes to your body and in particular your eyes.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

1. Get a reloading manual like Lymans. Read it cover to cover.

2. Go to the Alliant website and download their reloading data tables. Look at the published data for the components you want to use.

3. GET A SCALE AND USE IT. Don't assume the bushing charts are correct...they aren't.

4. Never reload any recipe recommended by anyone, off this forum or from "buddies" at the club, if it isn't in a reloading manual.

The 12S0 wad works fine in Gun Club hulls, but like glsc said, its best to choose one hull and stick with it. The Gun Club hulls are a better choice, I think, than Top Gun or Estate hulls.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

First,
    Get a scale.

Second,
    Go on-line and use only loads that are published. DO NOT experiment or use loads from sites like this until you get to know who you may be able to trust.

Third,
    Buy a large cookie sheet and place it between your MEC and bench. The reason will become apparent after 30-60 minutes with your new reloader

Welcome to the madness. Reloading is a great hobby. If you get frustrated with the MEC there are many on this site that can help you and their customer service is good. After 6 months, I gave up on mine and bought something that worked better for me - but I am not very bright.

Don

6. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Thanks for the advise didn't find any documented recipe on the above,although it may work who knows what it it reallt doing. I have changed the 12so wads for the CB1100-12 (WAA12SL) which Allient has listed recipies for all the hulls I plan on using in there chart. I will definitly be getting the Lymans book.
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.