1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new to release need info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by battuedave, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battuedave

battuedave Member

How do you measure release speed?
    Thanks

2. battuedave

battuedave Member

What I mean is, I know how to check pull weight but how do I check the let off?

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Normally a release is set at 50% of the set, I use 56Oz set and 28Oz release
    on my triggers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A Pull trigger should be crisp and not have any creep when you pull it kinda like breaking an icicle. A Release trigger should have a little bit of travel on the Let Off otherwise it is very difficult to get a 'Feel' for when the gun will fire. Too much travel on Let Off can cause you to bail out of the gun. The trigger on the TMX sets at 56 oz and goes off at about 24 oz; the trigger on the MX-3 sets at about 80 oz and goes off at about 28 oz. I think the Release trigger on my TMX is slower than my MX-3 because it has more travel on the Let Off but I am more used to it. Maybe if you have a Precision trigger or a new Allems trigger you can specify exactly the Set and Release weights; For me, I have reasonably good triggers and learn to shoot them with a lot of practice on real targets.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have my MX set at 4 and 2, or sets at 64 and releases at 32. Phil Crenwelge did a great job tuning mine!

Hap

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My triggers are similar to Hap's as he describes it above.

All the trigger guys do a good job. Certainly the top converters are Allem, Crenwelge, Allor and of course Precision is a whole trigger maker with good sets and let-offs. But it you are just getting into releases, the 60 to 80 oz on the set, and the 32 to 24 on the let off are numbers you can adapt to. I am currently shooting a 80/32 on a Allem in my MX15 and a 70/32 on my Allor in my MX3.

7. battuedave

battuedave Member

I cheched my weights and they check 48 oz to set and 30 let off.( checked it 3 times )
    Is this fast or slow and Will it cause any problems?
    I seem to be shooting slightly before I want.
    also I mainly shoot sporting clays.

Thank you guys for all your help
    David

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

David, your trigger would be too fast for me. Most of us have at least a 2 lb difference between the Set and Release weights. The gun would be empty before I could catch up to a hard left angle target.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dave tell us what kind of trigger it is. And then send it to Crenwelge and ask him to set it around 70/30

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dave, try several of your friends guns with various set/release numbers to actually find your ideal weights? That is much easier than having yours continually set and re-set and re-worked till you find the magic numbers for you! We can advise all over the spectrum of numbers and that will tell you nothing at all! You'll find your ideal release trigger in the same manner as you'd find an ideal pull trigger weight, by trying. It can get expensive having a gunsmith find the magic numbers for you with a release!!

Hap

11. battuedave

battuedave Member

dt 10
    And thanks for all the help!!!!

12. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have a dt-10 with a release and Phillip just tuned it he does excellent work and I have had several triggers done by him and all have worked flawlessly.I think his release conversion is the only one for a dt-10 that does not require the receiver to be altered for it to work properly.Jerry,

13. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Dave, Thought I would chime in on your post. I was having a problem
    releasing my CG release trigger way to soon also. One of the guys thought
    my "set" was way to light.So I took my Lyman Digital which is a little
    sensitive, and measured 72 to 76 oz to set. The "release" feels about half of
    that. So that all appears all okay. The Lyman digital only goes one way.
    But, about 4 of the guys thought I was holding/squeezing way to light. So
    on that advice I've tightened up my grip and apply more pressure then it
    takes to "set" the trigger. Well damn, it's now working great. Now I just have
    to train myself to use it to it's fullest advantage and not release to soon.
    Look up my post under user name and you'll see the replies I got. Hope this
    helps you.
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland CA
    ATA Life Vet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.