1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to registered trap - what to expect

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hockeyref, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeyref

hockeyref Member

I've been shooting for fun, and in a local club league for going on 3 years. Can someone explain what to expect in a registered match.. besides shooting at clays from 16, some cap line, and maybe doubles. I mean the classes, options, etc....

Options? No one has explained this to me yet. I would gather this is a general term for all of the side bets?

Lewis Class? Some sort of class payout based on your score?

Calcutta? It was explained that there maybe an auction of shooters and you should try to buy yourself (and\or whomever else you think may win) Payout is customarily split between the shooter and the "owner" (or a % bought back by the shooter if he thinks he might finish in the money)? Not sure if this is caps, singles, overall aggregate score??????

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

hockeyref- You asked a lot of good questions. It would take several pages to answer all of them. First, have fun and make friends at your first registered shoot.
    Options-- I suspect at least 1/3 of the shooters do not fully understand the options. Play the Lewis if you want and look at the pay off sheet to see how the other options worked. Calcutta- Almost always for one handicap event. If you buy me at a Calcutta (not the best move you could make) and I came in second place in the handicap you would get some money. If there was $1,000 in the Calcutta and the top three scores were paid, 50%,30%,20% (of $1,000), and the Calcutta was split 70% buyer and 30% shooter, then you and I would be paid 30% of the $1,000 (=$300) and you, the buyer would get 70% of the $300 (=$210) and I, as the shooter, would get 30% of the $300 (=$90).

The worst option is also the most popular option and the only one you should consider at your first shoot, is the Lewis. I would suggest playing no options but if you want to gamble a little, play the Lewis. I have posted enough and will let someone else explain the Lewis. I hope they explain that one third of the Lewis money is really a high gun purse and only 2/3 of the money is distributed by luck.

Pat Ireland

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hockeyref, on Pat's calcutta above, another twist. You bought him for $65.00, a meager sum for an experienced worldly shooter. Three of us tied him for second place, so the $210.00 is split 4 ways between the 4 buyers. Now your $65.00 bargain returned you $52.50, not a great investment. You could try to make it up in volume, buying many shooters with the possibility of all of them producing a negative return, or maybe one of them wins it all by himself and you take home a couple grand. Sounds like a gamble doesn't it? If you enjoy the thrill and adrenaline of competition, shoot registered. If you want to make money, a greeter at Walmart brings home more than most options shooters. Welcome and have fun, Harv Shell.

4. hockeyref

hockeyref Member

Thanks guys,
    A crusty old shooter told me to play the Lewis, always buy yourself in the Calcutta if you think you have a prayer of shooting well.... likewise the options. Didn't explain what any of it was very well.

Steve

5. 3357

3357 Member

The half-truth is, you will make a lot of money and meet some of the nicest people on the planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.