1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New To Registered Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomr1, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomr1

tomr1 Member

Reading the post about dropping off of a squad got me thinking and wanted to ask this question. I just talked my fiancée into joining the ATA with me. I am fairly new myself, only shooting 1 registered event so far. She is looking forward to trying it, but she’s a little nervous because her scores are top notch. Her average on singles is ~80. Should she not attended registered events until the average is higher? If so, what is the “acceptable” range?

2. tomr1

tomr1 Member

Sorry.....her score are NOT top notch.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Should she not attended registered events until the average is higher?"

There is no minimum score to compete. She should jump right in with both feet. The best way to learn is to do it. Do not worry about her scores. Actually she is doing quite well for just starting. If anybody says something to you or her because you shoot lower scores than others, they are wrong in doing so. Everybody had to start somewhere.

Good Luck to the both of you and welcome to the most addicting sport i have ever got involved with.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Practice or shoot fun leagues until you can Consistently (note capital "C" - that means regularly, not frequently or occasionally) - shoot 100 straight in your game(s), be they 16s, handicap or doubles. When you reach this level, begin to play a few or some of the options, but not before. The Lewis classes are basically a "lucky number" game. Do you feel lucky that day? You will be glad you waited. In most classes if you drop a target or two, you lose. Best Regards, Ed

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The main feature about registering targets is that your scores are registered and you have a factual accounting of your shooting progression. The natural competitive instinct within all of us uses that recorded history as a driving force for improvement.

With regards to you and your girlfriend, jump right in and don't worry about where your scores are now. Both of you will improve with experience. The true rewards in this game aren't in the form of numbers on a score card or trophies on the mantle but they have to do with life experiences.

6. BD457

BD457 Member

Shoot ATA for the fun of it, not to win. My son shoots a 72 and he's having a blast shooting in the competitions. I'm shooting in the high 80's and having a ton of fun doing it.

"The most addicting sport I have ever got involved with." That's No Kidding!!!

Mike

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Ljutic [509] 248-0476

Call Nadine Ljutic and ask her how to proceed. She wrote the book on training women to shoot trap and can give you all the information you could want.

Tell her Keith Miles said "Merry Christmas".

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Old Goat - have to disagree with you for sure. If we all waited until we broke 100 consistently to shoot at an ATA event I'm afraid there wouldn't be anyone left to shoot at them. Shoot every event you can get to and have a ball. Don't worry about your score or anyone else's - shoot the best you can and just enjoy the day. Shoot a lot, then go shoot some more.

9. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

I shoot with my daughter a few times a year - she is lucky to bust mid 60s but shoots in a good rythm with the rest of the squad and loves it. I can't pay her to come out and practice, but she likes to register some targets each year. we get on our own squad or shoot with folks who like having a new shooter, and I shoot right behind (after) her, which makes her more comfortable as far as not being intimidated by the thought of dropping a target or two.

I say the sooner the better - just make sure she is comfotable on the squad and the squad is comfortable with a fairly new shooter. If she happens to drop a few targets and otherwise is in a fairly decent rythm, most folks will welcome her and she should enjoy it.

10. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I never picked up or shot a gun until about 3 months ago. I shot trap and have been addicted ever since. I told myself I would practice until I could shoot better. I got to the point where I could shoot in the low 90's fairly consistantly and ran a couple of 25's in my first 2 months of shooting. I went to my first shot and ended up with a 75. Moral of the story is you can practice all you want, but for a new shooter registered rounds can be very different. I was very nervous my first shoot and was worried more about following etiquitte than I was about shooting. I also never shot with a full squad when I previously shot with the largest squad of 3 people in practice. I also only ever shot at the same club while practicing, and wasnt used to shooting at a different club. With all that said I learned a lot of good lessons by shooting regsitered rounds, and most importantly I shot a 75 and had a blast. Get the jitters out of the way and shoot registered rounds. As long as your fiancee is confortable with the gun and wont cause a disruption on the line, then go for it. Always remember to have fun.

11. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Elmer Kieth (famous pistol shooter) once said: "If your not having fun, you're doing something wrong".

Starting out shooting in the 80's is perfect!

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

When should anyone start registering? ASAP - it's the best practice possible. Don't worry about the scores and how they match others, the fun of working your way up through the classes and yardage by winning is a heck of a lot of fun compared to waiting till skills are top notch. Begin tomorrow!.......breakemall

13. houmike

houmike TS Member

I wish that I would have shot an 80 the first time that I shot registered targets!

14. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Yakimaman, you are right on, and Old Goat (sorry) is all wet. My hundreds are few and far between, but that doesn't stop me from trying and having a hell of a good time along the way. And always remember that your score is no reflection on your worth as a human being! I know too many people whose daily lives are up or down based on their trap/skeet/sporting scores.

Mike

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I just looked it up - my first registered shoot was April 30 2000. My singles score was 83. On 5/21, I shot another 83. I am happy I started.

16. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I shoot about 3500 registered targets a year, shoot in 2 leagues and have a blast. If I waited till I broke 100 straight Consistently, I would still have not shot an ATA event, my highest score is a 99/100, but I have won my yardage group 2 yrs in a row in 1 league and done rather well in the other. And yes it was from a longer yardage the 2nd year. I have done ok at ATA shoots, only won 1 time in singles and 1 time in caps, but I have had 1 hell of a good time trying.

Dont worry about your score, have fun and try your best EVERY TIME!

Oscar

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DO NOT take OldGoat's advice. That is the worst advice i think i have seen somebody give a new shooter. If it was all about being the best many of us would have never started. Its all about having a good time and spending time with your kids, wife and friends. I have made more friends in my short Trap career than i ever did in any other sport or recreational activity. You will find a butthole every now and then but the overwhelming majority are great people that will bend over backwards to help you. Good luck and have fun.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Welcome to ATA shooting! .........and tell your girlfriend not to worry that her scores aren't "top notch" YET. That's why the shooters are classified into different classes and there's usually also a "ladies" award and sometimes even a "new shooters" award.

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

WELCOME,, Listen to all above (except oldgoat, hopefully that was tongue-in-cheek) as oldcowboy said that's what "classes" are for--also ladies category --new shooter--etc. Go to a couple registered shoots first (if you are nervous) & just watch & get the "feel"-- learn--ask questions--envision yourself out there on the line, use all this collected info when you practice it only takes a couple times and you will have things pretty well figured out. SAFETY FIRST everybody "started" sometime somewhere and %99.99 will be more than happy to help you & your lady in getting acquainted with all aspects of this great game. Just remember that for most of us that is just what it is a game a pastime that we enjoy just like bowling, golf, etc. The main thing is to have fun & don't let an occasional loudmouth jerk spoil your fun. Nobody starts out perfectly in anything new. ENJOY-----Ross Puls

20. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Definately she can start now, focus on enjoying the game. When she does hit that 100 Old Goat will probably claim she's been sandbaging!!! ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.