1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New (to me) scam on ebay

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I bid on an item. Only after I submitted my bid did I notice that the shipping, for a 2 ounce item, was $53.99! The bid was less than a dollar and no one has bid against me. Yes, I know, I should have looked more carefully, but this is a clear attempt to get out of Ebay's final value fees. When I contacted the seller, he said the item was in Asia, "Please Understand" was also in his message. The ebay listing said the item was in Concord, NH! I asked to withdraw my bid, but have heard nothing. I've also reported this to ebay, but haven't heard anything.

Look carefully at the listings before bidding!

2. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Tell them to pack sand.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Sound like a scam to me ! $53.99 shipping for a 2 oz item . Flatly refuse it .

4. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

You can retract an Ebay bid if the item has greater than 12 hours remaining on the auction. Kind of hard to find the section where the retraction process is located (wonder why???), but it's there and I have used it before. Before you start surfing through the Ebay website to find the bid retraction part, go ahead and 'copy' the auction number. As soon as you find the right section you can simply 'paste' the auction number in without having to go back and wade thru the process again!!!

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Marlon, THANK YOU! Yep, had to dig a little (always click where it says "more resources") but the tool is there. Bid is gone.

Thanks again!

Bruce

6. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Bruce - you are welcome!

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

common scam on ebay....low selling price, high shipping charge.

Buyer beware. Ever since they jacked up the prices on their final value fees, I have refused to buy/sell anything off of there.

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

I had my Ebay identity hijacked and an a** in CA attempted to make me pay $50 in fees for the Ebay purchase. (He paid for item) Ebay was on to it and notified me. I had a 7 letter / number password - my new one is much stronger. Had never heard of it until it happened - check their forums and you'll see info.

JT

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have 4000 plus positive feedbacks on ebay.. been hijacked a couple of times and paid all the high fees, but its still a good way to sell your stuff.. acutally the 54.00 shipping on a 2oz item is not all that bad, if..you got it for the dollar you bid, and.. the item was worth something like $85.00.. they are clearly trying to steer away from paying the ebay fees (which I dont think is the right thing to do), also by them doing this makes your cost actually lower since they are not going to have to add the price of the fees into their product.. does this make sense?? you can retract your bid, or just dont pay it, you will get a unpaid mark against you (which means nothing)..

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I just ran into a Big Scam on Ebay. A lady was selling Sony LCD TV's. Said she had 5 in-stock. Location was Kansas. One for $800.00 two for $1,500.00. Mine you the Sony she was selling was no less than $4K anywhere else. She said send her an email prior to bidding. I did. Strange that I couldn't put the auction in my watch list. The auction ended. She sent me an "Ebay" invoice for $800.00 Free shipping, no Tax. Looked real to me. Her story started to change. The TV was coming from Europe and I had to use Western Union only. I sent Ebay "their" invoice to check it out, no such thing, no such auction, item number, seller. Big Scam. Dave T.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You can cancel your bid and you should do it fast. Its called BID RETRACTION. It comes up on my computer as http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? Go find the site and all you have to do is put the item ID number and click OK.

12. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Please post your ebay user name and password and I will take care of it for you.

tom

13. Caesar Trap

Caesar Trap Member

I would think twice about publishing any username and password on the internet. The internet is a VERY public place.

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have 809 transactions on Ebay. They do not allow you to sell an item for a buck and charge fifty bucks for S&H. They know whats going on. Just cancel your bid NOW so you don't get an "unpaid item strike" because it WOULD affect your feedback profile. If you need help call me and I will walk you through the process. 979-542-2901 Rick ~~~~Texas

15. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice. I retracted my bid. Hopefully that is the end of the situation. What I really didn't like was the ebay listing saying the item was in Concord, NH (I live in Vermont) when the item was actually coming from some place in Asia. Which was the reason the seller gave for the high shipping cost. Whatever..hopefully it's over and I have learned to look at the listing VERY carefully when I'm thinking of bidding on anything.

Bruce

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I would sooner put my trust in Obama than in any dealings on Ebay....

17. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

NEVER pay by Western Union...period

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I was after eBay for several years about this exact thing. I even enlisted my best friend who was the founder of CompuServe, to get me to the people in charge to get this "shipping scam" handled. I even had a guy prosecuted in CA for his scam and the local CID kept me informed.

eBay recently instituted a link on the seller's site where you can report to eBay problems; one of which is high/excessive shipping.

If you won the item and have not paid for it, DON't, but contact eBay. AND, I have a direct phone number for PayPal, owned by eBay. They have been EXTREMELY helpful to me with a couple of deals like you have observed.

If you wish, and the item is still open for bidding, click the Report Item link and tell eBay what this idiot is doing.

If you want that number, email me and I'd be happy to oblige.

I would call them 24/7, explain WHY you have not paid for the item and they should be able to contact their parent company, eBay, to handle it.

Whiz

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Some good advice from others, but refrain from publicly listing info.

If not one has already placed a complaint and the item has been changed accordingly, I would like to know, however, the item number and take a look at it and contact my buddy at eBay.

Incidentally, this thread should have been placed under the 'Off Topic' category, not 'Shooting Related.'

Whiz

20. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

It is also worry-some that the CEO of EBAY is now running for the Governorship of California as a REPUBLICAN! Arnold is on his way out (term limited), I think we may be paying our State Income Tax via PAYPAL before its over!...lb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.