1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

new (to me) Browning XT unsingle question ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pull!, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pull!

pull! TS Member

just bought an almost new Browning XT unsingle. I want to remove the "plug" from the top and install a mercury recoil reducer. How does it come out-I have turned it as if to unscrew it-but that doesn't work.

any ideas or experience??

Warren Dixon
    Iowa Park Trap Club
    Wichita Falls, Texas

2. ink ball

ink ball Member

It is threaded in...my buddy took his out and added some weight. You should be able to unscrew it.

3. cookoff

cookoff TS Member

Mine was really tight. Once out you could see it has some sort of glue on the first couple of threads. Glue was quite hard. Was able to get it out by fitting a large washer to fit the slot. With the muzzle down on a piece of carpet, held the washer with a pair of vise/grips. Then with a bar through the hole in the washer was able to break it loose. If you have three hands, smack the top of the washer with a hammer while trying to turn the washer with the bar. Once out found the hole size in the dummy upper bbl changes through it's lenght. Makes inserting a weight or recoil reducer a pain. Hope this helps.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A dear friend made the tool on the ratchet extension. A 1911 bushing wrench can also be ground down and made to fit the screw. The washer is 1 3/8" O.D. and 1/8" thick. :^)

I use two reducers in the barrel and one in the stock. My Unsingle has little recoil, even with full-throttle handicap loads, and tremendous stability on the ATA field.

5. cookoff

cookoff TS Member

Coach, What Brand and model of reducers did you use that fit in the upper "dummy" bbl? By the way, that home made tool is great.

6. pull!

pull! TS Member

THANKS! got it out with a US quarter and an oklahoma speed wrench
    (aka crescent)

ordered a 3/4 by 5 inch C & H mercury reducer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.