1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to forum, Game Shooter.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stoeger Joe, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoeger Joe

Stoeger Joe TS Member

Hello,

My name is Joe. Im new to this sight or any of them for that matter. Thought I might try this out. Hope to milk some Knowledge out of you more experienced trap shooters. Seeing how most are more experienced than myself. I used to shoot games, never registered. I learned alot from people on the line and hope to learn more on here. Think I have a bunch of gun club hulls and am looking for some reload recipes for shooting at the line and in shoot offs. Can any one give me some advice?

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the most experianced guy i know is clinton potter "potter", in st joe mo- he is not on the forum, but if you call him in the afternoon , he'd fill you inon loads. potter lives and breathes long shot games and "pheasant" loads-- tell him wally riebesell directed you to him--816-279-8097

3. Stoeger Joe

Stoeger Joe TS Member

Thank you acss,

Not sure about calling this gentleman but I will give it some thought and maybe give him a call. I appreciate your responce.

4. acss

i forgot one thing-- what POI does your gun throw? i had lunch yesterday with one of the best game and pigeon shooters around-- jerry diggs. we had a conversation on longshot shooting. his powder ect loads are somewhat of a secret(?) i do know he shoots 7 shot-11/4oz 1350fps(?)- .00030 restriction choke. but setting up a gun for off the concrete type games is 90%POI, a narrow at the muzzel rib,the wider sport ribs and big bead cover up the rock way back!!!

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Gun Clubs are good hulls, you use the same reloading data as Remington STS, Nitros, and RXP. What powder, and components do you have? I've included Alliant's web site for recipes. Also go to Hodgdon Powders web site for their powder recipes. If you don't have one, a good powder scale is a must. I use Federal Gold Medal hulls for my back fence loads, you can stuff a lot more in them. Wayne

6. Stoeger Joe

Stoeger Joe TS Member

Not sure what POI means. I have Red Dot powder A few different wads including DR-XL-1 1/8, XRP-12,and clay busters. Primers Fed.209A and CCI 209. Mec Junior with adjustable slide bar. Very basic. Willing to buy different supplies if needed! Thanks angain for your responses. Joe

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Joe, go to ShotgunWorld.com. There you will find special sections on reloading, trap shooting, game shooting, etc. Very good site to learn & share.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

POI is Point of Impact. Or in laymans terms how high your gun shoots.

ss

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Stoger, red dot will serve you well and you may find that is all you'll desire from the concrete.

As for shootoffs, are you talking about games loads?

acss, do you live near Jerry? If so tell him Martin said hello. Been along time....

10. Stoeger Joe

Stoeger Joe TS Member

Thanks Shot shucker,

I will check out the ShotgunWorld.com web sight for sure. And not sure of and exact POI on my gun but it does shoot high, Never cover the bird after they reach there top height. Seems best broke targets are when the bead and the bird are stacked. So maybe 2 inches high from the 16 with the target god knows how far out the when it stops rising! Thanks. Joe

11. Stoeger Joe

Stoeger Joe TS Member

For shoot offs Stepped back from 27 to 40 yrds. what would be a good Reload?

Thanks PheasantMaster,,

Joe

12. acss

yes- i do live about 30 miles from jerry. he shoots at my traprange-- when there is $ on the line, i pay attention to how he shoots-- my favorite memory of how good he is- we are back at 40 yds doing a best out of 3 shot- he puts 3 shells ( which he retrieved out of his hip pocket) into his 302 32" beat all to hell trapgun- calls pull 3 times without bringing the gun down-- hits all 3 -- he never said a word-- just cackled a luagh and digs about $50 out of the dollar pot!!!-- his son , david is gonna be just as good a shooter!!! -- they are calmest shooters under pressure, that i've ever seen!! do you know emil sector, his shooting partner from st joe-- he was there for lunch also-- emil sees the birds eyes blink! and the edge of the rock!!!total concentration!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.