1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New to competitive trapshooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pipalmighty, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipalmighty

Pipalmighty TS Member

Greetings!! As this is my first post to this great website, I humbly ask some of the "newbish" questions that I have not been able to find answers to as of yet.
    First off, I've only really shot trap about 2 dozen times in my life, but I loved every shot I took. I recently discovered a trap range in my town that had been a private club for a while, and then opened to the public. I've been there every weekend I'm able to go. I'm not doing terrible, averaging in the 80's on 100 round runs.
    I'm using a Remington 870 express, 28" barrel, modified choke (swap in a full choke for anything over 20 yds). I joined up with the clubs Winter Trap League and have not been doing as well as in practice. We shoot from the 16, and 22yd lines. My 16yd scores are okay, but my 22yd scores are atrocious. I've been able to shoot well with the "both eyes open" approach, but I catch myself rifle shooting here and there....
    I'm basically looking for some tips on how I can get better. Resources I can look into, equipment I can try out... I added a Remington Limbsaver Recoil pad to the gun, helped out SO much with the recoil.. I shot 150 rounds yesterday and My shoulder can't tell I really shot at all....
    So, I thank you in advance, and look forward to reading and putting your suggestions into practice...

-Pip
    Shane

2. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

What part of the country are you from ? I only ask to see if it's going to be a LONG cold winter right now for awhile or can the weather allow a real push toward learning ? I believe the best thing I did was take a class from someone who knows how to teach and really has the knowledge to help you. Who to look for as a teacher depends part on where you are and the teachers schedules. If you are available to travel a bit, go to one of the top instructors like Harlan Campbell or Dennis Devault. I did and have nothing bad to say. It gives you a serious foundation to start from. Then shoot shoot shoot and enjoy every minute. I also recommend finding some new friends to shoot with so that you can really encourage each other and you can judge your progress against someone you know.

Above all else make good friends and enjoy the Sport...

3. Pipalmighty

Pipalmighty TS Member

I live in Ohio, Lancaster to be exact. Not far from Columbus. The owner of the range has said he would spend some time with me, when time is available... I work nights, and my schedule changes over the 2 week period. As it is, I can only be there for league every other week, but I can Bank shoots.
    Traveling would not be out of the question, provided the classes aren't too expensive.
    I'm also looking into reloading, as I understand I need to practice, and even though the 100 round value packs of shells from wal-mart are cheap, I can eat through them pretty quick. Any added advice on that subject? I'm looking at a MEC Sizemaster press.

Shane

4. Pipalmighty

Pipalmighty TS Member

Side note on the Friends issue... While some of my friends are shooters, it's hard to find anyone that wants to shoot trap with me. Mostly due to distance and schedule issues. I don't know anyone in the town I live in, and all my real friends are 40+ miles away. Now, having said that, there are some really great people at the trap range... there's just a big age gap of no less than 15 years between myself and the people I'm meeting. I've always had older friends, but the commonalities outside of the trap range tend to drop quicker with a bigger age gap...

5. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Pip you've come to the right spot to get information. There are many here who are willing to give you the info you'll need to increase the scores you shoot. My advice is to get someone who can coach you with the basics right now before you develop any bad habits. I am sure there are more than a few qualified shooters or coaches in your area to help you. Ohio is full of trapshooters who have these skills. Best of luck to you and welcome to the addiction.:) Dan

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shane, 15 or 50, there are no age differences in shooting friends that you enjoy being with. Be active at your club and you will find them. Don't be afraid to offer to help,as that will go a long way in meeting the good people there. As far as competition, you've already learned that you are the one that you're competeing with,constantly trying for improvement or better consistancy. It wouldn't hurt to put your full choke in and forget it as one school of thought is it makes you more precise in your gun movement. You have started down a very long and enjoyable road, pick the right path and enjoy. Bob

7. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I agree with Bob get involved with the club the guys will take to you and will offer help. The age is no big deal it is like that at most clubs. The folks are great and welcome new people.

Enjoy....Shoot and have Fun!

Scott

8. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Shane:

I assume you're shooting @ Airport. Let Frank give you some pointers. He'll be glad to help you out. All of the guys down there are great. I shoot ATA there, only because its closest to home....although its 115 mi round trip.

Best of luck.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to shoot good scores in trap you need a gun with a built in vertical lead. That means a gun that shoots high. That is because trap target are a rising target.

The best thing to do would be to pattern your gun to see where it is shooting. Put up a paper target and shoot 5 shots at it from a rest at 13 yards.

Inorder to get your gun to shoot higher you have to raise the height of the comb. You can do this using 1 inch wide strips of mole skin placed on top of your stocks comb. Keep adding strips until your gun is shooting in the right place. HMB

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Shane,

Don't listen to those that say you need to buy a different gun to shoot better scores. Learn to shoot what you have and everything else will fall in line.

A good example of this was quite a few years back I was involved in a big payout 50 bird program. It was the final night and the purse money was big. I was on my game and came in with a 49/50 in some terrible conditions (winds of about 20mph and snow flying).

I felt pretty darn good about what I'd just shot. Then this fella showed up, who was kind of a semi regular at that club. He pulls out his 870 hunting gun and runs the singles. He then ran handicap targets (25 yrd), collected his dough and left.

I later learned that this guy is a very good wing shooter and only shows up to shoot when the weather is bad and there is $$ to be had.

We see each other from time to time and give each other a nod out of respect. That dude can shoot.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.