1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Tires on Pickup !!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Woods, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Bought a new GMC Sierra SLT,All Terrain in 2010, Did not like Bridgestone tires, noisy, likely awesome off road, but don't do much off road, deer hunt one week.Acquired new Michelin M/S 2, P275,65R18,could not believe how quite & smooth they ride/float. Unbelievable improvement. EH. !!

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

You are absolutely spot on! I bought a used Cadillac Escalade that had Michelin tires on it. Could not believe the difference in it and the Tahoe I had been driving. When the tires needed replacing, I could not pay the difference to get Michelin so I bought another brand. They are good tires, but won't compare to the Michelin!!!! Martinpicker

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

I've tried just about every other brand trying to save money on tires, but have been dissatisfied and disappointed every time. Wife just bought a high-dollar luxury car and we insisted they take off the Continentals that were on it and replace them with Michelins before we would take delivery. Only brand for me from now on.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've used nothing but Michelins for many years.

Back in 1975, GM designed its own radial tire tread pattern and had all five suppliers make their tires with that pattern. Even the lettering on the sidewalls employed the same font.

I noticed that customers' Michelin tires didn't show edgewear and require rotation as often as the other brands and seem to wear longer, too. One rainy day, we cut pie-shaped wedges out of a used tire of each brand and the Michelin was the only one with steel belts that ran shoulder-to-shoulder; the belts on the other brands were narrower and left the outer tread ribs, which are subject to wear from turning that the rest aren't, unsupported.

Pick up any other brand of tire and a Michelin by the bead and push in on the sidewall with your thumb - the Michelin sidewall will not distort as much under the same pressure. This might sound corny, but you WILL feel a difference in how your vehicle drives when you replace another brand with Michelins.

I just had four new P235/60R16 Michelin Primacy MXV4s installed on my vehicle last Friday. One tire took a total of an ounce of weight to balance, one took 3/4 of an ounce and the other two required NO weight at all. That's a good indicator of quality tire construction.

As far as cost goes - while tire shopping online two weeks ago, I found other brands offering shorter tread life warranties with higher prices. But any little extra that Michelins might cost is worth the expense.

Ed

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just so they aren't made in China.

GneJ

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

BJ's has good prices on them but since I've gotten such good service out of the Pirellis on my F350 I've stuck with them

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I don't have a truck but a Mercedes GL450 SUV. It's 2 years old and came with Pirelli Scorpio Zero tires. I have 17,700 miles on them and at speeds over 40 mph, they are the noisiest d--m tires I have ever had on a vehicle. At highway speeds, it's distracting and very annoying.

When I get them replaced, it will likely be Michelins. I hate having a car / SUV designed to be quiet inside with tires so noisy, I have to speak up when talking to my wife in the seat next to me.

Gene in Illinois

8. Bob M

Bob M Member

The owner of the local tire place puts Michelins on his vehicles so that is what I chose to put on my Suburban when it needed tires. The 'burb usually lasts 70,000 miles on a set. Good wear. Smooth, quiet ride.

We purchased an All-wheel-drive Pontiac Vibe for 'The Boss' in 2004 and the factory Goodyears wore out in the GM typical 25000 miles. We put a set of Michelins on it at that point. When we traded it at 133,000 miles, it had the same set of Michelins on it. Since it was constant AWD, I never rotated the tires in 108,000 miles with no uneven wear and still had a little tread left. For any vehicle I am going to keep, I'll put Michelins on it.

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Great quality tires that I refuse to buy. Michelin is French owned. During the Vietnam war the French would not let the US into their rubber plantations in Vietnam. This after they, the French had already had their own asses kicked in Vietnam. This resulted in a safe harbor for the VC and NVA, and thus resulted in many US deaths and casualties.

The only thing I know of in my home having to do with the French is a bottle of mustard in the fridge. LOL

10. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I bought a new Ford F-150 last year and it come with Hancook tires. I never heard of this brand. Are they any good and where are they made? Thanks.......

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Michelin was first to develop a successful radial tire. Back in the 60's I purchased a set of BF Goodrich radial tires. After several trips back to the dealer to cut the outside diameter back to true round to try to compensate for a shifted belt I went to Sears and purchased my first set of Michelin radials.

We used Michelin radials on our construction equipment at CNH. The sales person told me when the president of Michelin visited the factory some of the processes were covered. When he asked what was behind the curtains he was told "you do not need to know about that".

Jim Skeel<br>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

12. Bob M

Bob M Member

The owner of the local tire place puts Michelins on his vehicles so that is what I chose to put on my Suburban when it needed tires. The 'burb usually lasts 70,000 miles on a set. Good wear. Smooth, quiet ride.

We purchased an All-wheel-drive Pontiac Vibe for 'The Boss' in 2004 and the factory Goodyears wore out in the GM typical 25000 miles. We put a set of Michelins on it at that point. When we traded it at 133,000 miles, it had the same set of Michelins on it. Since it was constant AWD, I never rotated the tires in 108,000 miles with no uneven wear and still had a little tread left. For any vehicle I am going to keep, I'll put Michelins on it.

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Great quality tires that I refuse to buy. Michelin is French owned. During the Vietnam war the French would not let the US into their rubber plantations in Vietnam. This after they, the French had already had their own asses kicked in Vietnam. This resulted in a safe harbor for the VC and NVA, and thus resulted in many US deaths and casualties.

The only thing I know of in my home having to do with the French is a bottle of mustard in the fridge. LOL

14. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I bought a new Ford F-150 last year and it come with Hancook tires. I never heard of this brand. Are they any good and where are they made? Thanks.......

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Michelin was first to develop a successful radial tire. Back in the 60's I purchased a set of BF Goodrich radial tires. After several trips back to the dealer to cut the outside diameter back to true round to try to compensate for a shifted belt I went to Sears and purchased my first set of Michelin radials.

We used Michelin radials on our construction equipment at CNH. The sales person told me when the president of Michelin visited the factory some of the processes were covered. When he asked what was behind the curtains he was told "you do not need to know about that".

Jim Skeel<br>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

16. cnsane

cnsane Member

Just stuck a full set of M+S 2's under the Jeep. Night and day difference from the Bridgestones it came with. Run Hydro-edge's under my cars and you just can't wear the damned things out.

17. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

During the late, unlamented, war in Southeast Asia the poor soul who shot a hole in a Michelin Plantation Rubber tree had to have his Company Commander include the damage in the After Action. Any Air or Artillery support mission had to account for ordnance expended in the rubber trees and Michelin was compensated for the damage. American units were detailed to protect the da** Michelin Plantation and workers from Mr. Charles and his Northern buddies.

Take a guess about who does NOT like Michelin to this day. Froggish MoFo's anyway.

Don T. Littleton CO

18. missemucho

missemucho Member

Grade VI
    Hankook is made in Korea; they are usually pretty highly rated by Consumer Reports. Moderate price--I ran Michelin on my Odyssey van and got about 45k each from two sets. Replaced the second set with Hankook and they have 40k on them and appear to be good for one more year.
    John

19. rrose

rrose TS Member

I will be the different view this time, and I will say that I have always like Michelin tires and had good luck with them.
    I just bought new tires for my crew cab 4wd silverado yesterday. It had Bridgestone Duelers, I believe AT on it but they were noisy and I had 50,000 on them and they would have gone another 10,000. I put Dueler HT on this time and they are a world of difference. They are much much quieter, seem to roll and turn easier and are rated for 65,000 miles. My 265/65/18 tires were right at 200 per tire but I think are worth it. my 2cents. randy

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My wifes car came with Michelans, blew the sidewalls out of two of them on a curve and they said no to the warranty that was purchased separately ... They were properly inflated and always rotated when it was time to do so, felt like the side wall would roll under on curves, guess that must of been right ... They has less than 20,000 miles on them when this happend ... JUNK, TRASH, GARBAGE ... WPT ... (YAC) ...