1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW TARGET YEAR... VOICE YOUR DISPLEASURE!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by COBIGGUNJR12, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COBIGGUNJR12

COBIGGUNJR12 TS Member

I couldn't agree more and hopefully they will get the message

2. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Well placed sources say that a motion to retain Sept 1 - Aug 31 target year will be introduced at the meetings during the Grand. It is expected to pass and be immediately effective. Urge your delegate to vote for it.

Bob

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I had no problem in Michigan.....

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I do not know why this is a problem, goint until Oct means I have a bit more shooting to do. Ending in august, well I just feel like things are cut short. first shoot around here is not until late march april, makes for a long winter. The weather tends to be just as bad or even worse march april compared to sept oct. What is the problem.

5. jappo

jappo TS Member

After the Grand, I won't shoot any registered targets until the new target year. Which probably means next April effectively for weather reasons. Normally I can get in a few hundred of each in during Sept and Oct...

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

CHANGE< yep, that's what we all need, CHANGE. Just a reminder. LOL

Gne J

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It was this way when I started shooting and I don't remember any problems. Must be the new shooters who aren't happy about anything. Whine about this and whine about that and don't blame northern climates for this. A better question is just how many shoots do you really plan to shoot in the first place?? By what some of you say it wouldn't matter when the year started.

Don

8. bocephus

bocephus Member

I think they should end the target year at the end of the Grand- held in Vegas....in October or November...at the new shooting complex....

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

with the wording of the average and handicap section of the rule book.....

THE current OR LAST, target year..........

I fail to see what the concern is! If you shoot all year round, or only the fair weather from April to August it will all AVERAGE OUT THE SAME!!!!!!!!!

AL FROM a great year round shooting state!

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For my club the new target season means no registered shoots in Aug, Sept or Oct.

It is likely that other clubs will have the same solution. No daily fees for those months. ATA will basically have the same payroll and expenses, but less income.

What were they thinking?

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This is the third time this subject has been posted on TS.com in as many months. The hardship that you all seem to think will befall you from this dreaded rule is short lived.

It is after all only for one year. After 2009 the target year goes back to 12 month just like every year. It just starts at a different time November 1, instead of September 1,.

Give it a rest and wait until after the annual meeting at the Grand and see if the BOD change the Grand requirements. If so what could you all find to Bitch about after that. Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- The problem will occur every year with the new system.

For many shooters, their shooting for the year ends after their last big shoot. This is the state shoot for some, it is the Zone for others and for some it is the Grand. These shooters will not become active again until the next shooting year. If the shooting year begins in November, that means for these shooters, the effective shooting year will begin in March. The good shooting months of Sept. and Oct. will be lost every year.

Also, a new member typically joins at at his first shoot in the new year. This will now be in March-April instead of Sept-Oct. This will give new members only a couple of months in the ATA prior to their state shoot.

The EC has elected to deal with ATA office problems by shifting the burden to the shooters. They should be embarrassed.

Pat Ireland

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I'd be willing to bet that there are a plethora of clubs that do not electronically file their results. We're so small we don't do it.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just make the damn target year start and end with the calendar year. All whining, crying, nail biting, etc., can be done away with. Either you're a competitive shooter or you're not.

C'mon, let's kick this dead horse some more.

Curt

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Pat you said "For many shooters, their shooting for the year ends after their last big shoot. This is the state shoot for some, it is the Zone for others and for some it is the Grand." you further stated "The good shooting months of Sept. and Oct. will be lost every year." is it will be lost or is it will allow the shooters that won't start shooting until good weather in the spring the same burden to get their targets?

Pat you also said "a new member typically joins at at his first shoot in the new year. This will now be in March-April instead of Sept-Oct. This will give new members only a couple of months in the ATA prior to their state shoot." Sorry Pat this will give all shooters the same start time March-April.

The only thing that what you have said tells me. The target year will start even for all shooters not just the one that have shot for many years and the ones that are new in the fall. It will now include all shooters even the ones that start shooting ATA events in the spring.

these are some of the things that bother me Pat everyone keeps talking about changing the rules to grow the ATA or promote shooting in the ATA and when they have an opportunity to do so it a Bad rule I am sorry I don't perceive it as a bad rule only on that levels the playing field(gee where have I heard that before)

I understand that it is tougher on shooter in the northern states one of which I live in. I don't see it as anymore of a hardship on the older members than it is on the newbie that joins in march. If that make me a bad person than so be it. As far as I am concerned if the ATA BOD adjusts the Grand target requirements than that should stop all the whining.

Pat you and I both know that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Lately those opinions what to make this association better. As soon as a rule that has the potential to make the new shooters start collecting targets at the same time no oh well you have to pay your plus when you are just starting out. If you or anyone feels that I am wrong I will discuss it with them any way they wish hopefully peacefully.

Bob Lawless

16. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

ATA season in NW PA under the old September through August target year.... September through mid October and mid April through mid July. Under the new November through October target year... shooters will only be registering targets April through July.

The ONLY reason shooters were registering targets in September and October is because they simply don't have the time or weather to register targets the 500 targets needed in the spring for shoots coming up in May and June. And now, that fall head start has been take away from them.

Between lousy weather and a tight wallet, I haven't been able to register many targets this summer. Thankfully I got in a bunch last fall, and still have time to get in 400 more so I've got the 1500 needed in the current year so I qualify for the state handicap rankings.

Unless the Grand is pushed back to September (which IMO it should be), the change in the target year totally puts the screws to the average shooter and the small northern clubs.

~Michael

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It is what it is and if you shoot registered events what is really the difference if the year begins in August, October, September, November or in May? It starts when it starts and if you do not like shooting in the cold than friggin move to a warmer climate but then you will have some sort of major friggin problem with that and begin to complain about the end of the shooting year because you shooting in the heat but no matter what you bitch to bitch and that is all your doing so shut the heck up and deal with it ... it is what it is ya friggin cry baby ... your whining and beotching makes you sound like a skeet shooter in training.

So in closing ... I support you man ... I gots your back and agree with all you want.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I wish the Food Lion grocery store would start carrying beer to go with my beer nuts so I didn't have to make an extra stop on the way to the club!

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Let's go through this ONE MORE TIME. If the target year doesn't END until Nov 1st, it means the targets shot between aug and Nov. "WILL NOT" count on the target count for next years Grand OR targets on next years total for state zone etc. Remember Grand target numbers are by CURRENT year ONLY. The targets shot after aug and before Nov. 1st CANNOT be countede for Grand requirements the next year.The northern shooters will be especially hurt. Many will see no reason to shot at targets which won't count on next years totals and It is almost a certainty that shooting WILL drop off now in Sept/Oct. With 8 dollar shells and 4 dollar + gas, I can't see why anybody won't see this hurting the ATA in targets thrown. Why is that so hard to figure out???!!!! My bguess is there will a vote to restore the Sept 1st target year start. I bknow MY delegate wants it to see it back the way it was!

20. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

So if its all about when the years starts and ends why not make it January 1st ... if thats good enough for the rest of the world to start the year on it should be good enough for the frickin ATA or is the ATA better than the world?

I say leave it as it is and lets all just shoot and enjoy ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.