1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New Style Mec Primer Feed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 687_SP_II, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I am thinking of buying the new style Mec primer feed for my 9000G. Does any one have any pros or cons on this primer feed?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Best reloading dollars I have ever spent!! Zero problems since I set it up over a year ago.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have the new one on my 20ga 9000, and the old one on my 28ga and .410. I've never really had that much trouble with the old style ones, the only real benefit I see is the increased capacity. And went they tell you its a 200 primer tray, they're lying, I get well over 300 into mine... If I could find a deal on a couple more new ones, I'd buy them, but I can't justify 60 bucks a pop just for increased capacity.

4. Model32Shooter

Model32Shooter Member

Love 'em! Have 4. Very positive, smooth action, easy to use, no problems.

Much better than the "old" style.

Just my opinion!!

Bob

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Don't throw out the old primer feed...

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Buy one. I wouldn't think of using the old one again. You can actually quit watching every primer fall. When you do install it follow the directions, it will save you a lot of time in alignment of the primer tube.

7. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I absolutely hate the one I bought, I sit down to load shells not fight with the damn primer feed, most frustrating thing I have ever spent money on, except a few rounds of trap I don't care to talk about.

Rick

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

One of the best upgrades a person can make to a Mec loader. Just take the time, about 20 minutes, to set up and adjust properly before reloading at full speed.

A note of advise, use a little Pledge on the tray surface prior to using. This will help the primers migrate like they are supposed to.

ss

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

How is it any better than a tuned old version except for the increased capacity?

10. Robb

Robb Member

Way better than the chain. Pledge helps.

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

why/how?

I never had a problem with the "old" version and have had it for 10+ years and tons of shells. sure a primer gets flipped or jammed up every now and then but 60 bucks is a lot for an upgrade on a Mec.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Buc,

The new style is a direct actuated primer drop. It won't suffer from a broken chain, stretched chain (just enough to cause inconsistant drops but a change of one link is too much), take chain off so I can finish loading out the carasel without dropping anymore primers, etc... I can go on further if needed.

ss

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's much, much better than the chain one.

Neil

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I don't recommend pledge. It softens the plastic and actually makes the problem worse. You're probably wondering how I know this.

The issue, and it's not a big one, seems to be that grunge tends to build up around the throat when the tray is new and the plastic's a little rough. The best way to get the throat to funnel smoothly is to rub it smooth with a dry cloth to polish it a bit. It doesn't take much, and it solves the problem.

I wouldn't install the old one back on my press, ever. The new one lets you dump a full 250 primers into the tray at once, and you always know how many rounds you have to crank out to finish the case.

Anybody want my metal primer tray? Send me a PM. It's yours for the shipping cost.

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

PM sent on the primer tray BOB

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mine used to work as flawlessly as a piece of equipment can until I switched back to Remington primers from Federals. Now the primers like to "log jam" at the entrance to the chute for no apparent reason. I have to bump the bottom of the tray every five shells or so to insure consistent primer drops.

I've cleaned the tray with glass cleaner but that didn't help. I then rubbed it with fine automotive rubbing compound including the chute itself using a Q-tip with compound on it followed by a good rub-and-polish with a dry cloth. When the problem persisted, I used glass cleaner again in case the polish residue was making the surface "sticky." The last thing I tried was taking the primer feed apart and cleaning the transfer bar area and the chute again. I still see primers all lined up at the mouth of the chute but "reluctant" to slide into the chute. I even cleaned and polished the underside of the cover, as I see "track lines" on it from the tops of the primers. The tray's floor is now smooth and glossy but not sticky to the touch.

The thought of putting an old-style feed on my loader has crossed my mind! Apparently Remington primers have more surface area that contacts the primer feed tray's floor.

Ed

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I love mine on my 650, but I use Win 209s exclusively....

I did have to tweek it a bit when I first instaled it, but never since.

Guy Babin

18. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Sounds like the deal of the century to toss the old style, but you guys are all getting your panties in a wad about the price. Gamaliel has the progressive primer feed for $49.95.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"Gamaliel has the progressive primer feed for $49.95."

Plus shipping.

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Bob Lawless, is that you? Just kidding.

I realize there is shipping, but I am assuming that those talking about paying $60 is becasue that is the MSRP for the primer feed. Therefore, idealy it would cost close to $70 including shipping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 primer feed problem

mec primer feed problems

problems with mec 9000 primer fleed