1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New STS shells ????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by matttrapn, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Is anyone having "issues" with new Remington STS shells? I have some with the primer not being hit hard enough to make it go BOOM.....

All input is welcome.

Thanks, Matt

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've put 5 flats of new STS shells thru my shotgun in the past five weeks and I haven't experienced a single problem.

3. Picabo 12

Picabo 12 TS Member

Yes I had a bad one last year sent it back to Rem. cost me over $10.00 to send it back. They said nothing wrong with the shell . They sent me a coupon for a free box of shells, big deal. I still buy and shoot them along with Federal.
    Rem & Fed make the best shell. I have never seen a AA blowup but it seems that all of the guns that have blown up lately have been with AA.

Steve

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i bought 10 flats at the ohio state shoot of nitro 27. first shell out of the box went puff and the shot fell on the trap house.---lost target. 6 boxes later out of another case and same thing happened. I showed it to the remington man and he said sorry!!!!! Still buy them and still shoot them and those are the only ones that were bad out of 76 cases. motordoc

5. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have not had an issue but if you will send me 8 or 10 flats I will available to independent "research" on this subject. If 10 flats are not enough, I may need to do double blind study testing them against AA's ( I'm sure you will provide me "testing material"). It is tough to do this type of study and will require many trips to the gun range, but someone has to so it.

Charlie

6. Eve Davis

Eve Davis TS Member

Hi Matt,
    I shoot new STSs (about 4 to 5 thousands a year) and had the very same issue as you did. Few months ago, I actually had even worse case then that. One of the shells had a damaged brass and broke my ejector.... Few weeks later I found another shell like that (with a fold in the brass) but this time I noticed it before l put it into the gun. I never complained to Remington. Parhaps I should as I still have the shells...
    Eve

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I believe the primer cup is set a little too deep in its housing. I've had this on new Winchester shells and some Remington primers I've reloaded, but never on W209s I've reloaded. If I was organized, I'd save them up and send them back to the mfr. I cleaned the fuzz out from around my firing pin and haven't had one since.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

R-e-l-o-a-d-s......then all you have to blame is yourself!! LOL, ok maybe the primer manufacturer....

9. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Matt;

I have experienced the same thing several times over the past few months. I have been shooting STS pretty much exclusively for the past 8 or so years, and have never experienced it up until it just started.

Larry

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was shorted 3 shells--I usually dump the box of shells into my pouch, had two borrow a shell to complete the round, last week the back of the primer fell off after it was struck. Remington is sending me a check for 8 bucks to cover the cost of buying a new box.

Phil Berkowitz

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Had a miss fire at the rand and took it to Rem. A month later I received a letter from Rem. stating the primer was defective. Nice to get feed back from them. The guy at the Grand tried to blame my gun. Oh well they did give me a box of shells for it. Jake

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've never had a misfire with STS and I've shot tons of them......now Gunclubs are another story.

13. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I had a "no fire" on a brand new STS shell yesterday. The primer was dented very hard, but the shell did not fire. I did not try to fire the shell a second time. I have always been a AA shooter, new and reloads, but recently switched to STS and have been very satisfied with my reloads. But now, Rem STS primers are as scarce as hen's teeth, and after paying a premium for their new shells compared to Estates and Win Super Targets, I'm dissappointed in shells that simply won't fire. I've got a couple of flats in shooting queue right now. Hopefully this was an isolated incident.

Play Dead

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I bought new shells and had one shell split in two places. I bought a flat and the shells went from heavy to light to anything between when firing. I sent a box back to remington and they said they were within their guide lines. Remington is slowly going down hill.

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Yeah, their guidelines must be slipping.

16. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

i usually fire nitro 27 only, at calcuttas-they always go off-but sometimes they fly crooked-causing a miss

17. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

gee Charlie, thats really great of you to offer soo much of your time for such a study!!!!!! Eve, Joe, Larry and the rest, thanks for your input. I've been running into the same issues with AA's and my reloads too, but not to the extent as with the STS's.

I was just seeing if others were having this happen as well. Maybe there is a bad round of primers out there?

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the only STS's I've ever used are 20gauges in the Super Sporting config...never had a problem in any of the different makes of gun I've popped them in

19. Steve231

Steve231 TS Member

Over the last year, I have never had a problem with 4000+ New Remington Gun Clubs. I have reloaded the Remington and Federal Hulls to the tune of 4000+. Have used Winchester, Remington, Cheddite, primmers. Not one misfire yet.
    Steve

20. shaner

shaner Member

havent had any problem wit hthe sts shotshells but did have a problem this past summer with a bunch of remington 45acp had 5 no go off's out of 3 boxes , contacted remington sent the ammo back and they sent me a coupon for 20 bucks on ammo purchase and a note saying the primer mox was bad that they had a large number of these go out and was sorry for the inconvenice of the matter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.